Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for new remote DVB-S streaming solutions

• 29-12-2020 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Using my PC as a TVMosaic server, I currently stream my Freesat (via two Hauppauge tuners) and Saorview (via HDHomerun Connect Duo) feeds to my brother’s house, where he uses a nvidia Shield to watch the channels.

I’m looking for alternate streaming solutions for the satellite signal -the HDHR solves my DVB-T streaming- that do not depend on the PC, e.g., a Sat>IP server (plus TVHeadend on a RPi), but I’m struggling to find a suitable and available Sat>IP box (Digibit R1 seems highly recommended but are there others, as this is difficult to find?)

Any recommendations on
    1. where to source a reliable Sat>IP box, OR
    2. any alternate box/hardware solution, other than a PC, e.g., that could generate an m3u playlist from my dish that I could use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I use the Digibit R1, but there are a couple of differently branded boxes with the same specs (maybe the same box with different brands?).

If two tuners would suffice then maybe this might be worth considering ....... I have no knowledge at all of this ......
    https://www.megasat.tv/en/produkt/sat-ip-server-twin/

Telestar also do a twin receiver model
    https://www.pulsat.com/products/Telestar-Digibit-Twin-Sat-to-IP-HD-Digital-Receiver-Router.html

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mrbubbles

I'm also using a Digibit R1 (with standard firmware) and it's great; I got mine from amazon.de as it worked out a lot cheaper than amazon.co.uk.

I see that it's out of stock on both sites though. I'd say that it's just a post-Christmas (or post-Covid) temporary situation, rather than the unit itself being discontinued. My dad has been trying to buy a small laser printer all week and they, too, seem to be out of stock everywhere.

mrbubbles wrote: »
    I'm also using a Digibit R1 (with standard firmware) and it's great; I got mine from amazon.de as it worked out a lot cheaper than amazon.co.uk.

I see that it's out of stock on both sites though. I'd say that it's just a post-Christmas (or post-Covid) temporary situation, rather than the unit itself being discontinued. My dad has been trying to buy a small laser printer all week and they, too, seem to be out of stock everywhere.

They have just released a firmware upgrade for the Digibit Twin, so I doubt they have ceased production.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 vitony

@Johnboy1951 and @mrbubbles - thanks for your replies: I appreciate them!

Looking at the links, I see that there is a Digibit R1 in stock and that would be a better option for me as 4 tuners would provide so much more flexibility.

I'm fairly comfortable configuring the software side of things (TVH) but I'm a definite novice on the satellite hardware. Does the following way forward look reasonable:

- replace LNB with a quad LNB and run 4 coax lines to the Digibit
    - use a RPi 3 as the TVH server for remote streaming?

And is it OK to split one of the coax lines to the Digibit for a branch to my current Amiko Mini Combo?

Again, thank you for helping out!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

You're be better off upgrading to a Unicable LNB, these can be split easily to feed multiple receivers.
    vitony wrote: »
    @Johnboy1951 and @mrbubbles - thanks for your replies: I appreciate them!

Looking at the links, I see that there is a Digibit R1 in stock and that would be a better option for me as 4 tuners would provide so much more flexibility.

I'm fairly comfortable configuring the software side of things (TVH) but I'm a definite novice on the satellite hardware. Does the following way forward look reasonable:

- replace LNB with a quad LNB and run 4 coax lines to the Digibit
    - use a RPi 3 as the TVH server for remote streaming?

And is it OK to split one of the coax lines to the Digibit for a branch to my current Amiko Mini Combo?

Again, thank you for helping out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

Enigma2 receivers are a good solution in my opinion.
    I have a mutant hd51 with openvix and I can't fault it.

I use a Unicable II LNB to feed the Digibit R1 which woks well for the four tuners.

Is the Amiko Unicable compatible? If so then you can use a splitter to split the Unicable feed line to it.

If not then I guess you might need to think of a different LNB.

I should add here that I have received an old Zgemma and installed a sat>ip app on it and it now works as a Sat>IP tuner box.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Vbox another option I gather , don’t have it but have been researching it a bit

https://www.vboxcomm.eu/satellite/

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Vbox another option I gather , don’t have it but have been researching it a bit

https://www.vboxcomm.eu/satellite/

I had (still have) a Xti 3340 (think that number is correct) which has two sat tuners and a terrestrial connection for two tuners.

I sent it back for refund ....... it was terrible!

They never accepted it and it was returned to me as undelivered .... but I did receive my refund.

I have not found a use for it since.

Advertisement