Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heads up! Carbon Copy Cloner and Big Sur

• 05-12-2020 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I've used CCC for years to do an additional monthly backup beyond Time Machine. This week I did the first one after upgrading to Big Sur. It was an outright disaster.
    CCC prompted me to make a bootable drive, which seemed sensible. The initial attempt failed and CCC suggested I do a data back up and then download Big Sur. So far, so good. I ejected the drive OK, then when the iMac was sleeping I disconnected it.
    It would not reboot from sleeping. I suspect I should have checked which disk was identified as the start up disk.I had to go into Recovery, download Catalina [don't ask], then download Big Sur.
    My Parallels Desktop was gone, along with Windows 10 and my files.
    After 2 days I've just about got everything back.
    If in doubt, don't!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Is there not a big warning for CCC on Big Sur?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

If there is, I wish I had seen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

whiterebel wrote: »
    Is there not a big warning for CCC on Big Sur?

Well, the only big warning on the CCC homepage is “ Carbon Copy Cloner 5 is fully qualified on macOS Big Sur.”

https://bombich.com/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its on their blog from 3rd November, updated 24th. When I updated to Big Sur, it flashed up on CCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

I just looked at the blog. They only raised concerns for Apple silicon Mac's, not Intel like mine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement