Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

• 27-03-2020 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Does you company allow remote access and what software do they use to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mumof2 wrote: »
    Any tips would be appreciated on what not to do perhaps:D

Do nothing unless a competent tech is involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Does anyone else there do it? Try and find out how they got access.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Speak to your IT team first, it may be against company policies. Unlikely, but check.

In regard working from home, it depends on the level of access you need. If you have a laptop and internet access, and your tools are online, you shouldn't have any issue.

Some software requires you to be on the company network in order for it to work. For something like this, you would need to setup a VPN. Your IT team should be able to help with that.

Some software may require a computer to be onsite to work. That may require you using remote access to dial into your work pc. Again, speak to your IT team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Your IT team will arrange the remote access if they think it suitable/appropriate, and give you instructions on how to access it.

The main thing is not to download any confidential documents to the machine in your house - e.g. customer lists etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Thanks for all the replies.

First of all I'm the techie in the office. By no means professional but since we have no one in our town anymore doing computer services etc (and most definitely not now) - I tend to fix and resolve most issues.

I know they use Any Desk as a remote app.

I am wary of this whole thing, because of the GDPR issue in taking work home etc but I'm in this job setting over 25 years so I know what I should and shouldn't do regarding privacy.

VPN is a good idea, thank you.

Of course I will be speaking to the boss first before doing ANYTHING, I am just checking if this is possible and what software was recommended.

Im in a good position because this is a family run business and the wife of the boss is able to take over from me in the worst case.

Its quite possible I will do NOTHING :D - it's TECHNICALLY not my problem.....

Thanks again for all your suggestions and help:-)

I love boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Jesus wept

Jesus wept

Ok...............:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

In this case I would plead ignorance if it's not in your job description. A poorly implemented remote access policy could leave you wide open to attack so if this has never been on the radar before, I'd step away from allowing remote access.

No shame in admitting defeat if you're doing the IT on an ad-hoc basis!

RedXIV wrote: »
    In this case I would plead ignorance if it's not in your job description. A poorly implemented remote access policy could leave you wide open to attack so if this has never been on the radar before, I'd step away from allowing remote access.

No shame in admitting defeat if you're doing the IT on an ad-hoc basis!

I totally agree!! I'm the worst for wanting to help everyone - but in this case I will admit defeat because I don't know what I'm doing as I've never done this before. I always regret going into accounting - should have gone tech! More demand for it now;-)

Anyhow, I mentioned it to the boss - but I'd say that went over his head too:D If there's no work for him there's no work for me so no remote server needed:(

Take care everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

mumof2 wrote: »
    Good morning,

I'm trying to stay a step ahead, and want to access the server computer from home. Can I do that using remote access?

Any tips would be appreciated on what not to do perhaps:D

Thanks!

You can’t just “connect to a work server “ you need to discuss this with employer, technically once your connected to the vpn you can rdp to anywhere you wish however if don’t know this then you’re not allowed

You can’t just “connect to a work server “ you need to discuss this with employer, technically once your connected to the vpn you can rdp to anywhere you wish however if don’t know this then you’re not allowed

Yes, thank you, that is the first thing I pointed out - WITH PERMISSION......

Thanks everyone for the help.

But I'm under enough pressure as it is without people thinking I'm some dumb idiot who will just log on to something willynilly without thinking and checking............Jesus wept...........can't even get information without assumptions being made.

I'm finished with this thread for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I'd be careful about doing anything like this OP, the correct security policies need to be in place for so many reason before you go opening doors to your network and data from home networks.

As others have said, plead ignorance unless it's your role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The critical issue is how vulnerable you could make your servers, indeed your entire IT infrastructure, because you don't know what you are doing.

Might a good to investigate (costings) about getting an expert in to review your systems and suggest improvements etc.

We could be in isolation for 3-4 months, might be an idea to look at ways to restart the business under these restrictions.

Advertisement