Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

giving up

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zune#Zune_software

Sounds like it was just stored on the local PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Giving up ... and moving on. Today I bought a Samsung A70 to replace my old Windows phone - a Nokia Lumia 950XL.

Now the fun begins in trying to transfer everything over. OK with Contacts, Calendar and email as they are all linked to my Google account.

But problems with:
    Whatsapp
    call history
    SMS

Anyone have a solution for transferring these?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Beagslife

I'm not sure if this would be of any benefit. MS Launcher
    I've only recently picked up a 950XL after a couple years with the 950. Still enjoying it despite some of the hardships!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

leck wrote: »
    Giving up ... and moving on. Today I bought a Samsung A70 to replace my old Windows phone - a Nokia Lumia 950XL.

Now the fun begins in trying to transfer everything over. OK with Contacts, Calendar and email as they are all linked to my Google account.

But problems with:
    Whatsapp
    call history
    SMS

Anyone have a solution for transferring these?
    For SMS, I used this method. It worked well for me on a 950 and 950XL with thousands of SMS messages.

For WhatsApp, it looks like it might be possible as long as you don't have a 950/950XL. I have seen anecdotal evidence of others with an old 640/XL lying around and they switched to use that for WhatsApp (restored backup from OneDrive) and then exported. I didn't have any other phones lying around.

This was no good for the phones I had, though. So I guess I was out of luck and just had to export the chat history to keep as a plain text history, and unfortunately cannot confirm if this worked.

Call History, I couldn't find a method for this - sorry.

I have found Microsoft Launcher to be surprisingly good, close to stock Android launcher with a bunch of nice MS-specific twists.

• Advertisement

For SMS, I used this method. It worked well for me on a 950 and 950XL with thousands of SMS messages.

For WhatsApp, it looks like it might be possible as long as you don't have a 950/950XL. I have seen anecdotal evidence of others with an old 640/XL lying around and they switched to use that for WhatsApp (restored backup from OneDrive) and then exported. I didn't have any other phones lying around.

This was no good for the phones I had, though. So I guess I was out of luck and just had to export the chat history to keep as a plain text history, and unfortunately cannot confirm if this worked.

Call History, I couldn't find a method for this - sorry.

I have found Microsoft Launcher to be surprisingly good, close to stock Android launcher with a bunch of nice MS-specific twists.
    I'm just trying to transfer SMS messages this evening using the first method. But I'm stuck.

I did a backup on my Windows phone, which created an 856KB file in the folder smsBackup. I copied that to OneDrive.

Next I went to the Android phone and checked that I could see the backup file in OneDrive.

I started the app Import SMS From Windows Phone but of course it tells me it can't find the backup file. I know I need to move it into the phone itself but not sure how to do that. Any advice?

[EDITED TO ADD - I figured it out. I either shared or copied (can't remember) the backup file to the phone, then the app could see and I think now all my messages are restored]

My next step is to attempt moving Whatsapp from Windows phone to Android.

But I have a 950XL on Windows 10.0 and the transfer app won't work on that.

One suggestion is to update an older phone to Windows 10, then load Whatsapp on that before transferring to Android. I have two old Windows phones - a Nokia Lumia 521 on Windows 8.0 and a Nokia Lumia 630 on Windows 8.1. From what I've read, it's not easy to install Windows 10 on either of those. Anyone tried similar?

Advertisement