Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guinness Pro12 Season 2020-2021

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bilston wrote: »
    200 fans allowed back into sporting events in Ireland.

I can't see how that is economically viable at all for the provinces, but I suppose if they can prove they can do that safely then maybe the numbers will start to rise a bit in a months time or so.

There looks to provision for larger crowds to be allowed into purpose build venues for large national and international sports events. https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/18e18-level-2/#sports
    Matches and events
    For large purpose built event facilities (such as stadia, auditoriums, conferencing/event centres), specific guidance will be developed with the relevant sectors to take account of size and different conditions for events such as large national and international sporting events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

A little over 2 weeks to the start of the season and no official confirmation of fixtures or conferences?

yerrahbah wrote: »
    A little over 2 weeks to the start of the season and no official confirmation of fixtures or conferences?
    I suppose that with no fans in attendance that they're not too rushed. The teams and broadcasters will have that info though.

I did see a tweet around last weekend say that they should be published by the end of this week though, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

So the Pro14 with 12 teams will be called the Pro14 because the SA sides might tag along in January to become the 16 team Pro14

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    So the Pro14 with 12 teams will be called the Pro14 because the SA sides might tag along in January to become the 16 team Pro14

January?

They are going to add extra teams to the league in the middle of the season?

I've missed a joke here, haven't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Are you joking or being serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

awec wrote: »
    January?

They are going to add extra teams to the league in the middle of the season?

I've missed a joke here, haven't I?

Simon Thomas seems to think something is happening etc with regard to the South Africans in 2021.

He never seems to get this type of stuff wrong.

Lads it's 2020. This would be the most normal thing to happen at this stage

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1308468755983409153?s=19

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yes there are strong rumours that the other four South African teams will join in January.
    If it means one season of complete fcukedupness to get them in, I'm for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I cannot any new season fixtures on Pro 14 website or Premier Sports website.

• Advertisement

I cannot any new season fixtures on Pro 14 website or Premier Sports website.

That's because they haven't be released publicly yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yes there are strong rumours that the other four South African teams will join in January.
    If it means one season of complete fcukedupness to get them in, I'm for it

Yeah I think there’s too much up in air to expect a normal season anyway, they might add them in letting them play a mini conference with one or two going into playoffs or some such thing.

I think the SA sides joining halfway through a season is going to be the least of our worries.

Statement from Pro14

https://twitter.com/PRO14Official/status/1308707688268869632

On August 25, PRO14 Rugby acknowledged that under current international travel restrictions it is not possible for South African teams to fulfil Guinness PRO14 fixtures until 2021.

PRO14 Rugby welcomes the news that the South African Rugby Union (SA Rugby) has been able to arrange a domestic schedule for its professional teams and that this is the first step in the return of their teams to on-field action.

SA Rugby’s long-standing commitments are to field two teams in the Guinness PRO14 and in light of the withdrawal of the Southern Kings, discussions are on-going about fulfilling this agreement from 2021 using a replacement team from its current professional franchises.

Additionally, both PRO14 Rugby and SA Rugby are in early discussions about potentially expanding the tournament and deepening our partnership to include more South African franchises from 2021.

So all going well, the Cheetahs and 1 other SA side will join sometime in this season

And talks of more SA sides joining in the 21/22 season

yerrahbah wrote: »
    So all going well, the Cheetahs and 1 other SA side will join sometime in this season

And talks of more SA sides joining in the 21/22 season
    I'm not sure that 2021 means later this season. It reads to me like they'll run a 5 team competition like NZ and Aus between their franchises this season and join a Pro16 next season. Probably with the team finishing last in their internal comp being left out.

I'm not sure that 2021 means later this season. It reads to me like they'll run a 5 team competition like NZ and Aus between their franchises this season and join a Pro16 next season. Probably with the team finishing last in their internal comp being left out.

I dunno, If they meant next season surely they would say the 21/22 season rather than 2021.

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1308716314823925765

Anyway the fixtures are out at 2 so that should clear up some confusion

(Narrator: It didn't)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

Sounds like we are very much moving out of the trail period for SA teams in the PROx and going all in. Surely they will be in the European cup sometime soon? As part of the PROx it would only be fare?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bokke SR sides joining pro-xx would only make sense if they got a place into europe.

god knows theyd make a better fist of it than the welsh sides ever did.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Fixtures only available up to Round 11 in January.

• Advertisement

(Can we close the old season thread?)

I notice the interpros are being held over for later weekends, I assume in the hope crowds are back by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bokke SR sides joining pro-xx would only make sense if they got a place into europe.

Logistically, I'm not sure how it's going to work. As much as possible, Pro14 teams try to do back to back games in SA. When top teams have had only a single game there, they've sent the second string.

In Super Rugby, teams used do mini tours if they had to visit SA, packaging multiple games into one trip.

In European rugby, that's not going to be possible. Teams will play in SA and potentially have a return fixture 6-7 days later after a 10 hour flight home. Ideally, you'll be the team that plays the SA side back to back and have the home fixture first up meaning the SA team will have had a long haul flight before each fixture.

I think their joining is inevitable but it's going to be another contentious situation adding to the luck of the draw element.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I notice the interpros are being held over for later weekends, I assume in the hope crowds are back by then.

I think you can plan without crowds for the season. The government roadmap has significant restrictions for crowds even at Level 1.The timeline of this plan was to bring us up to April 2021.

I understand stadiums can have a more bespoke approach but, best case scenario, we're still looking at drastically reduced crowds. Maybe a few thousand?

Obviously we don't have any pre ECC interpros, but they're in their normal Christmas/New year slots really. As usual Munster host Leinster on St. Stephens day and head to Ravenhill in the new year.

It's also noticeable that in the 11 announced rounds everyone plays everyone once. I wonder if that's a fallback position. Cut the league there if you have to and declare a champion and euro qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

MaybeMaybe wrote: »

I don't know about other teams, but I'm pretty sure that outside of the SA trips Munster always used private charters.

And after reading the article, it pretty much says that they all do. I'm not sure why they bothered with that headline TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I don't know about other teams, but I'm pretty sure that outside of the SA trips Munster always used private charters.

And after reading the article, it pretty much says that they all do. I'm not sure why they bothered with that headline TBH.

For European games it’s always private charter.
    For league games not always but depends on a few factors.

Yes, they need European places. Tough ask as there's not much in it for English or French teams.

But the Pro14 should absolutely not take in any more SARU clubs that are not the current SR franchises.

awec wrote: »
    But the Pro14 should absolutely not take in any more SARU clubs that are not the current SR franchises.

I don't think those teams (Griquas, Pumas?) will be in any shape to join anyway.

• Advertisement

I don't think those teams (Griquas, Pumas?) will be in any shape to join anyway.

They foisted the Kings on us, take nothing for granted!

The ProWhatever would let the Sydney Fishermen 3rd XV join the league if they brought a few quid with them.

Advertisement