Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid in Schools

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Think staff should be adhering to it too.

I don't know what I think to be honest!

Rationale is to get us to unsupervised groups as quickly as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Think staff should be adhering to it too.

I think it's beyond unacceptable to expect students to wear masks but have teachers exempt. I would actively oppose such a policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I think it's beyond unacceptable to expect students to wear masks but have teachers exempt. I would actively oppose such a policy.

Just to clarify, the post I quoted was referring to a one way system. Our staff are not exempt from wearing masks, I never claimed that this was a suitable or acceptable policy.

I will edit my post to include the entire quoted post as this has obviously caused confusion.

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Just to clarify, the post I quoted was referring to a one way system. Our staff are not exempt from wearing masks, I never claimed that this was a suitable or acceptable policy.

I will edit my post to include the entire quoted post as this has obviously caused confusion.

Ah, ok. I can absolutely see the merit in a different system for teachers for movement around the building alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Anyone think those messages about school infections are pretty accurate?

From what I've seen so far on a couple of compiled lists, they are not far off the mark.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Anyone think those messages about school infections are pretty accurate?

From what I've seen so far on a couple of compiled lists, they are not far off the mark.

It's as obvious as the nose on one's head that there will be cases in schools. What we need to keep an eye on and I am sure the powers that be are, is the transmission of the disease within the school environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sidcon

The latest schools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi
    I have a child in first year in a local post primary school. From the information provided by the school a lot of work went into preparing the school for the return. Students and teachers wear masks, desks in classrooms are 1m apart. There is a one way system and sanitizing posts outside every classroom. As class periods are doubles or trebles the students care allowed regular breaks outside to remove the masks. Break times are also staggered. However the school canteen is open at break times and the children are seated together cheek by jowl in a small area well within 1 m with no face masks as they are eating. The other year groups are allowed up the town for their lunch. I'm concerned about this as I assumed that the children would be eating their lunches in class where the 1 m distance could be maintained. In the school emails there hasn't been much mention of ventilation in classrooms and in some classes my child has mentioned that the windows were closed. I've a background in microbiology and I'm concerned about the lack of consistency in applying social distancing rules in the school during lunch time. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭doc_17

Send Norma Foley an email asking for her plans for canteens. The. Take it from there. You. Can blame schools for the fact there’s no spacing. They’ve done what they can by the sounds of it by staggering breaks etc. Children might be getting their only hot meal of the day at school.

Separately, I don’t think staff need to or should follow a one-way system. Rules at school are for students, not for us. Having to follow a one-way system could lead to all sorts of problems for teachers, for example, if I need to get 20 metres back quickly to deal with an issue but have to walk 200 metres instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

In the event of a teacher having a much smaller room - under 30sqm - than the recommended 49sqm room do people think the teacher has a right to refuse to move classes peripatetically within the school for the duration of the Covid guidelines? (there is no larger room permanently available) What is happening in other schools? Are principals just avoiding conflict and letting the teachers stay in their rooms?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

gaiscioch wrote: »
    In the event of a teacher having a much smaller room - under 30sqm - than the recommended 49sqm room do people think the teacher has a right to refuse to move classes peripatetically within the school for the duration of the Covid guidelines? (there is no larger room permanently available) What is happening in other schools? Are principals just avoiding conflict and letting the teachers stay in their rooms?

Our class sizes have been adjusted to fit the max per room with 1m social distancing for staff and students be that more or less than 24. It barely gives you room to move at the board. Essentially you stand in one spot right in front of the whiteboard to teach. Even at that second and third years don’t fit in the rooms and there is an overflow room in use for both

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

To follow up on my earlier post.....none of the class that were sent home in my child's school last week tested positive.They must stay out for 14 days from last contact anyway.Tests were done the afternoon/evening of being sent home, results received in under 48 hours (at a weekend).
    The school is on that confirmed cases list.Will schools be removed as classes return I wonder.....otherwise the data doesn't mean much.

shesty wrote: »
    To follow up on my earlier post.....none of the class that were sent home in my child's school last week tested positive.They must stay out for 14 days from last contact anyway.Tests were done the afternoon/evening of being sent home, results received in under 48 hours (at a weekend).
    The school is on that confirmed cases list.Will schools be removed as classes return I wonder.....otherwise the data doesn't mean much.

Data would need to indicate situation resolved or ongoing for it to be useful. Otherwise it might just frighten people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

shesty wrote: »

Tests aren't 100%

I thought close contacts were to be tested twice at days 0 and 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

doc_17 wrote: »
    Send Norma Foley an email asking for her plans for canteens. The. Take it from there. You. Can blame schools for the fact there’s no spacing. They’ve done what they can by the sounds of it by staggering breaks etc. Children might be getting their only hot meal of the day at school.

Separately, I don’t think staff need to or should follow a one-way system. Rules at school are for students, not for us. Having to follow a one-way system could lead to all sorts of problems for teachers, for example, if I need to get 20 metres back quickly to deal with an issue but have to walk 200 metres instead.

Thanks.

The point I am trying to make is that infection control is meant to be a priority but cramming lots of students tightly in a canteen undoes all of this. Students are kept in their classes as per guidelines then unleashed and mix with whoever in close. Not very scientific and counter intuitive. Not blaming teachers but.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I thought close contacts were to be tested twice at days 0 and 7?

Not in these cases it would appear....they have no mention of another test.

Treppen wrote: »
    Tests aren't 100%

No test is 100%.They still have to stay home for the period required, and watch for symptoms anyway.

What else can they use as a metric, if not that?If the child is healthy, the test is negative, they complete the isolation period - that is 3 boxes ticked essentially.On a practical level, you can't ask anymore.Life has to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Balagan1

All hell going to break loose once the pubs open on 21st. I thought they were keeping them closed to offer some window of protection for the kids but even the increasing cases in schools has not deterred them. People need their pint, publicans need their money and to hell with the kids. What a criminal decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://twitter.com/amongey/status/1303424546683473925

http://twitter.com/amongey/status/1303424548445057024

Dept demanding Principals mobile numbers so that they can be contacted in evenings and weekends

If they had one iota of what was happening on the ground they would know they could probably ring the school and they would be there working anyway

• Advertisement

The response is all over the shop, particularly a certain school out west, where the caretaker tested positive, but the son was told to remain in school as he was tested. Which made no sense??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

In small classes, with 2 metres (plus) between the teacher and the nearest student, are you all still wearing visors or masks? A couple of parents made a complaint about the non-use of a visor by a teacher in that context so just wondering what’s happening elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

In small classes, with 2 metres (plus) between the teacher and the nearest student, are you all still wearing visors or masks? A couple of parents made a complaint about the non-use of a visor by a teacher in that context so just wondering what’s happening elsewhere.

I would wear visor and mask as it is airborne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

The response is all over the shop, particularly a certain school out west, where the caretaker tested positive, but the son was told to remain in school as he was tested. Which made no sense??

Yup know a school in Dublin where the kid tested positive and told to stay at home aswell as the rest of the class.... But his siblings were told to go to school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Visor if we can maintain 2m. No situation where we can be without mask or visor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Balagan1 wrote: »
    All hell going to break loose once the pubs open on 21st. I thought they were keeping them closed to offer some window of protection for the kids but even the increasing cases in schools has not deterred them. People need their pint, publicans need their money and to hell with the kids. What a criminal decision.

I don't think they will be opening on the 21st.

Student house parties in college tho....the urge to ride is too powerful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Balagan1 wrote: »

Those pubs have a business to run, families to feed. The industry has been crippled.
    Some will never open again. Its peoples livelihoods at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Wearing a mask, visors don’t protect us from anything according to most available research

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Let's all face facts. 24 kids in an ordinary size room with masks is a pretty unique workplace. Kids over 16. It's going to spread. Teachers are being thrown out there.
    However the evidence is generally that teenagers don't pass it to adults or so I'm told ? Who knows.
    But going on about cafeterias or one teacher taking off their mask is splitting hairs
    We as a society have decided to take this risk. As a teacher I ain't happy but no realistic alternative has been provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

jrosen wrote: »
    Those pubs have a business to run, families to feed. The industry has been crippled.
    Some will never open again. Its peoples livelihoods at risk.

I agree with you. It's being ignored in many places as it is .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement