Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorhome /Campervan Sales

• 29-08-2020 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

One of my mates is looking to buy a Motorhome /Campervan, but has found they have gone through the roof in prices since the lock down.

Perhaps someone with some knowledge on how sales etc go would be able to give an idea of whether he should buy now or wait a while?

What are the chances of them returning to original prices?
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It all has to do with the coronavirus, so the phrase "past performance is no guarantee of future prices" is the best you're going to get from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Wait wait wait (unless loaded etc..!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

wait out. sad fact is that campervan demographic is at the older end of the scale.

which is also at the covid highest risk end.....

jus sayin!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Itineoman

wait out. sad fact is that campervan demographic is at the older end of the scale.

which is also at the covid highest risk end.....

jus sayin!
    Cynic! :-)
    It’s not Just vans and caravans - everything to do with this is maxed out. Campsites and stopovers seem to be heavily booked as well. We’ve done a few weekends away recently and wild parking has been the mainstay. I got a second cassette to increase our range as facilities are difficult to come across.

Business in the no need for a hook-up market is booming. :D
    Skip the factory fitted charging system and install something capable.

Throw away yer gas fridges! Say goodbye to paying €25 for €0.16 of lecky from a campsite.
    Have an autonomous vehicle with autonomy!

I'm just finishing a barge with 1220W of solar and an engine producing 3.5kW at idle! The only limit is imagination and know-how.

Don't believe the hype, li-ion is not necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Business in the no need for a hook-up market is booming. :D
    Skip the factory fitted charging system and install something capable.

Throw away yer gas fridges! Say goodbye to paying €25 for €0.16 of lecky from a campsite.
    Have an autonomous vehicle with autonomy!

I'm just finishing a barge with 1220W of solar and an engine producing 3.5kW at idle! The only limit is imagination and know-how.

Don't believe the hype, li-ion is not necessary.

This is not the first time you've advocated solar and electric fridges over gas. I'm interested in this, but your knowledge and experience far outweighs mine on this front. Have you a thread anywhere that can explain the process / costs etc?

It's not just me Mr T it's everyone who uses their vessel for any extended amount of time or anyone who bothered to fit a reliable battery monitor. You won't find a live-aboard, an expedition vehicle, a tourer or an off-gridder running an absorption fridge. Beware of echo chambers.
    Have a look at canal boat/sailing/expedition forums and fit a battery monitor. Here's the an ok one for the price.

Thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭huddlejonny

Itineoman wrote: »
    Cynic! :-)
    It’s not Just vans and caravans - everything to do with this is maxed out. Campsites and stopovers seem to be heavily booked as well. We’ve done a few weekends away recently and wild parking has been the mainstay. I got a second cassette to increase our range as facilities are difficult to come across.

genius idea there. That saves alot of worry when wild camping.

So does a shovel....

When wild is wild as opposed to urban untethered.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭huddlejonny

So does a shovel....

When wild is wild as opposed to urban untethered.

A shovel is no good in an urban environment... especially not with kids who think toilet paper just flushes down the jacks in a campervan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

kids who think toilet paper just flushes down the jacks in a campervan :)

Toilet paper? What Greta-generation child uses such an eco-friendly product these days? I blame the parents ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

Here's the an ok one for the price.

Have you used it? Just ordered, seems great value for the price if it comes with your endorsement!

Yes. I don't make hardware recommendations that I don't use, test and understand myself, unlike a lottov the rest of tinternet.

They're amazingly accurate for the price the next best in line is €250.
    Bigger more legible display than a Victron BMV €200
    More accurate, bigger, more legible display than a MasterVolt €300
    More accurate, bigger, more legible display than a Bep Marine €250
    More accurate, more features than a SmartGauge €150
    More accurate than everything else I've tried in it's price range.

Not as good as a Trimetric 2030RV.

If you want a second display for the engine battery these are pretty good to make a panel. 4 outtov 6 I bought were accurate. One died a week later I'm chasing a refund on that one.

s-l1600.jpg

As with most chinese meters check it against a multimeter and if it's offset just make a note. They're better than the most...not perfect.

Advertisement