Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Mi Tv Stick - €26.69 from DHGate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

Nowso wrote: »
    Reviews are not good at all

Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I was waiting for this for months as I was fed up of the usual Android TV boxes, and wanted to try one with genuine Android support, although I use a Roku which does everything I want
    When it was launched, the saving grace seemed to be the price, but having read a few reviews it seems they took a step backwards with this
    The specs just seem like devices from a few years ago with 1GB RAM and 8GB ROM and 1080 with no 4K support

I have to admit, I was still on the fence until this morning and then I watched Chigz Tech reviews do his review of it and it looks very disappointing alright

Well....that seems absolute crap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wow - what an atrocious review. I bow to his superior knowledge and experience, but I've been running this stick for a couple of weeks and have found it great. I'm using it on my second TV with Netflix, Youtube, Spotify, Synology video streaming, and I've also used it with N64 and SNES emulators (and even experimented with the XBox streaming app, paired with an XBox controller, and a Bluetooth speaker, and apart from the XBox streaming (which was a little laggy as I'd have expected), it worked flawlessly for everything else. For €29, I've no regrets. This is the first Android TV streaming device I've used though, so I have nothing to compare it to. Based on my results I was going to buy the 4k version when that came out (as I figured the extra RAM would solve the XBox cloud streaming lag issues), but might just hold out for his next review. The TV (and an old projector I used it with also) are very occasional use, so just not worth spending more than €30.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    I was waiting for this for months as I was fed up of the usual Android TV boxes, and wanted to try one with genuine Android support, although I use a Roku which does everything I want
    When it was launched, the saving grace seemed to be the price, but having read a few reviews it seems they took a step backwards with this
    The specs just seem like devices from a few years ago with 1GB RAM and 8GB ROM and 1080 with no 4K support

I have to admit, I was still on the fence until this morning and then I watched Chigz Tech reviews do his review of it and it looks very disappointing alright

Yes ill stick with me Mi boxs for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

To be fair, for around €30, I still reckon it's a decent little thing and handy to add functionality to any TV, even the most modern smart TV's where they no longer update apps etc

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    To be fair, for around €30, I still reckon it's a decent little thing and handy to add functionality to any TV, even the most modern smart TV's where they no longer update apps etc

That's the situation I am in. Samsung TV that is not getting updated. I also have a chromecast but I thought this would be a good way to get the smart TV updated addons and then also get rid of the chromecast (just so I have one less thing plugged in).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

They are giving these away free atm with many purchases of Xiaomi phones on chinese sites. Probably not even worth that.

Has anyone's arrived from DHGate?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Raoul wrote: »
    Has anyone's arrived from DHGate?

Apparently mine is in transit from Belgium to Ireland with a delivery on or before August 31st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Had an email. Mine is due on the 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

does anybody have an updated link to the ones shipped from the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SSeanSS

Got slapped with import duties letter. If I want it I will have to pay €10 post offices fees + vat on the $30 it costs. Or else they will send back to sender. Not even sure if it’s the extra 16 euro to get it based off the reviews posted

SSeanSS wrote: »
    Got slapped with import duties letter. If I want it I will have to pay €10 post offices fees + vat on the $30 it costs. Or else they will send back to sender. Not even sure if it’s the extra 16 euro to get it based off the reviews posted

Aww no. That's a disaster. I wonder is it worth letting it be sent back and then just try to claim the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

:mad: €6.08 to the dreaded Revenue for Vat and €10 to An Post as a handling charge.

What's even more annoying is An Post will only accept cash, which is ridiculous since you have to be there to pay.

The rest of the universe is accepting online payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Damn - got the same letter.
    Literally the first time I've had something stopped in years - never get anythign from Aliexpress stopped!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭ooter

Got 2 letters this morning for 2 sticks I purchased. They may send them back, I'm not paying another cent.

Got the same letter.....first time ever. If we don't accept and allow it to be returned, can we get a refund?

First time ever ordering anything from dhgate and it'll be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

SSeanSS wrote: »

Same boat here

• Advertisement

Another one here.

The real pain is is the €6.08!
    Vat under €6 is exempt.

8 bleedin cents costs me €16.08.

:mad:

After Sept 1 VAT is 21%

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Basil3 wrote: »
    Got the same letter.....first time ever. If we don't accept and allow it to be returned, can we get a refund?

The screenshot of the letter says 'may be returned to the sender'. I think it's as likely that it'll be used in the An Post sorting office secret-santa giveaway at Christmas.

Basil3 wrote: »

If my parcel is seized by Customs what should i do?

If the items are detained by Customs after the shipment has left the seller’s country, the buyer is responsible for clearance of the detained items.

It is the buyer's responsibility for any Customs duty fees that may be charged upon delivery.

How the import duty will be charged depends on each country’s custom policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

to the lads that got a customs love letter

just wondering did ye pick the Euro warehouse option on DHGate and still get stung for import duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

kingtiger wrote: »

just wondering did ye pick the Euro warehouse option on DHGate and still get stung for import duty?

I don't know about the rest but I picked the EU warehouse but the damn thing is still coming from China. Don't know if it'll be redistributed from EU or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I don't know about the rest but I picked the EU warehouse but the damn thing is still coming from China. Don't know if it'll be redistributed from EU or not

that's pretty bad form offering the item from a Euro warehouse and then shipping it from China

think I will just get one from Honorbuy for the extra €10 postage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭bren2001

kingtiger wrote: »

I can't remember what I picked (I don't think I coped there was a China and Belgium warehouse). Tracking shows that mine came from Belgium so I don't quite understand how I got stung for customs.

Unless, the tracking only started working in Belgium and went China -> Belgium -> Ireland.

Same as everyone else, letter from An post.

Whats the legality of them charging 10 euro?
    Seems like post from China is being targetted

• Advertisement

I'd probably bite the bullet and take the €6 customs charge on the chin but no way am I paying the €10 an post charge.
    Why couldn't they have been sent to the local sorting offices?

Advertisement