Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When will we fly again? II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I believe that the 14 day quarantine does not apply to travel to and from the U.K.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Gael23 wrote: »
    I believe that the 14 day quarantine does not apply to travel to and from the U.K.

Quarantine does apply from travellers coming from the U.K. with exception of travel from Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Sure Britain us the place it us most need fir, as it has the highest rate of infection. In a couple of weeks it will only be required for Britain and Sweden in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Talk at the weekend of creating travel bubbles but Spain was not listed as a country. Does that mean that you cannot fly there (even if a flight is going)? Or does that mean that if you fly somewhere outside the bubble, you have to quarantine when you get back? Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

manniot2 wrote: »
    Talk at the weekend of creating travel bubbles but Spain was not listed as a country. Does that mean that you cannot fly there (even if a flight is going)? Or does that mean that if you fly somewhere outside the bubble, you have to quarantine when you get back? Thanks

Probably means quarantine on return but quarantine isn’t in legislation bar the mandatory completion of the form

The bigger issue is if Spain retaliates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Spain now saying that face mask wearing is mandatory until the virus is completely eliminated via vaccine or otherwise. Who wants to go on holidays wearing a poxy mask for the duration?

Spain now saying that face mask wearing is mandatory until the virus is completely eliminated via vaccine or otherwise. Who wants to go on holidays wearing a poxy mask for the duration?

It’s only mandatory in places where social distancing is not possible. I don’t see an issue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

faceman wrote: »
    It’s only mandatory in places where social distancing is not possible. I don’t see an issue with that.

Thanks for clearing up what looked like an initially silly requirement

The post you quoted is like Daily Mail clickbait nonsense

Cheers for that. The article I read online made it sound all gloom and gloom, almost trying to put potential travellers off from going to Spain this year

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. The article I read online made it sound all gloom and gloom, almost trying to put potential travellers off from going to Spain this year

Nah nothing to worry about. Spain has been crushing it. Also their social distance guideline is 1.5m

The bigger question is will they let Ireland and the U.K. in. There was supposed to be an update today from their government on travel but nothing in Spanish papers. They’re trialling german tourists on the islands from mid June

Nah nothing to worry about. Spain has been crushing it. Also their social distance guideline is 1.5m

The bigger question is will they let Ireland and the U.K. in. There was supposed to be an update today from their government on travel but nothing in Spanish papers. They’re trialling german tourists on the islands from mid June

Spanish minister denies being in talks with British re ; airbridges......... Would much prefer a European wide approach with common consensus. I'd prefer that myself too.. supposed to be heading to Portugal on hols in September and would love everyone (airports, airlines, hotels etc) to be singing from the same hymnsheet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Update on Balearics and Canaries
    "Some 6,000 German visitors will be allowed to visit the archipelago (Balearic Islands) from next Monday without having to observe the 14-day quarantine.
    4,000 in Mallorca, 1,000 in Ibiza and 1,000 in Menorca, according to government sources.
    The regional government of the Canary Islands has also agreed to take part in a similar pilot project, but wants to introduce tighter safety measures"
    Source: https://english.elpais.com/economy_and_business/2020-06-09/spains-balearic-islands-to-welcome-tourists-on-pilot-test-from-june-15.html

Spanish minister denies being in talks with British re ; airbridges......... Would much prefer a European wide approach with common consensus. I'd prefer that myself too.. supposed to be heading to Portugal on hols in September and would love everyone (airports, airlines, hotels etc) to be singing from the same hymnsheet!

You’ll be fine going to Portugal. Leo mentioned them in his recent speech on airbridges

Hoping to get to Spain in September for a few days and definitely flying to Florida in December for a cousins wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hoping to get to Spain in September for a few days and definitely flying to Florida in December for a cousins wedding

I wouldn’t be going next or near the US for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Wearing masks have been saving (so far, touch wood) both Spain and Italy from a second wave.

Masks are mandatory only in indoor public spaces (shops, public transport) and could be made mandatory outdoors when crowded/no distances.

'The decree includes the obligatory use of face masks in closed public spaces where a 1.5-meter safe distance cannot be observed, and also fines of up to €100 for people who are not wearing them. The decree also leaves open the possibility of regulating their use in the open air. However, the application of the restrictions and the measures will fall to regional authorities"

Source: https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-06-09/spanish-cabinet-approves-decree-for-new-normality-after-coronavirus-state-of-alarm-ends.html

I wouldn’t be going next or near the US for the foreseeable future

Why wouldnt you go to the US?I have no problem going over.Relatives live over there and they said everything is getting back to some sort of normality slowly.As i said i am not going until December so hopefully everything is opened back up by then.Cant wait to go over.Getting away to the warm weather for a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Why wouldnt you go to the US?I have no problem going over.Relatives live over there and they said everything is getting back to some sort of normality slowly.As i said i am not going until December so hopefully everything is opened back up by then.Cant wait to go over.Getting away to the warm weather for a few weeks :)

Enjoy yourself - ignore the fear-mongers on here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

We cancelled a holiday to the US in Feb to fly in May when everything kicked off and Naively at the time I thought this would have all blown over by the time the Summer rolled around. To make myself feel better we booked a week in Salou in September and obviously while COVID was at its peak I had also given up on that trip, Kids were devastated both times we told them it wouldn't be happening. The renewed sense of hope for travel is very welcome. Would love to say nothing to the kids and just drive them to the airport in September. The wife will take some convincing to get on the plane mind. Hopefully the downward trajectory of the virus keeps going but i'm at best cautiously optimistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Interesting update from the Canaries about testing visitors on arrival???

The Canary Islands are planning to welcome thousands of German tourists later this month before Spain's borders officially reopen, but want the visitors to be tested for the coronavirus, a source in the archipelago's government said.

The plan, which still needs a green light from the central government in Madrid, follows an initiative by the Balearic Islands, which will start welcoming German tourists on Monday.

The main difference is that the Balearics will not ask for a test, while the Canaries will.

Spain plans to start reopening its borders to foreign visitors on 1 July, with exceptions for some islands.

The Canary and Balearic Islands are among the Spanish regions least affected by the virus, with around 2,000 confirmed cases each.

The nearly 11,000 German tourists allowed to visit the Balearic Islands from Monday will have to provide health information and contact details and will face temperature checks on arrival, but will not undergo quarantine or testing.

Interesting update from the Canaries about testing visitors on arrival???

The Canary Islands are planning to welcome thousands of German tourists later this month before Spain's borders officially reopen, but want the visitors to be tested for the coronavirus, a source in the archipelago's government said.

The plan, which still needs a green light from the central government in Madrid, follows an initiative by the Balearic Islands, which will start welcoming German tourists on Monday.

The main difference is that the Balearics will not ask for a test, while the Canaries will.

Spain plans to start reopening its borders to foreign visitors on 1 July, with exceptions for some islands.

The Canary and Balearic Islands are among the Spanish regions least affected by the virus, with around 2,000 confirmed cases each.

The nearly 11,000 German tourists allowed to visit the Balearic Islands from Monday will have to provide health information and contact details and will face temperature checks on arrival, but will not undergo quarantine or testing.

Communication from Spain has been confusing at times. I follow the Spanish media and the narrative changes daily.

Current status is borders will open 1st July but Spain may not open to all. They regular single out the U.K. as having no agreement with them and sometimes reference Schengen vs non-Shengen. Then it gets confusing if any of this is relevant beyond 1st July.

Cases of imported Covid-19 are already on the increase but not yet at any level that would cause problems.

Regions are being told today they can open earlier than 1st July on trial basis with countries.

It’s confusing what it being decided nationally and regionally.

Madrid is still not quite there virus wise compared with other regions.

I’d say it will be another week before we get clarity of what the opening their borders will mean to travellers

It does look like their border with Portugal and France will open before the 1st July.

(Although they already contradicted the announcement within hours of it first being made)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I wouldn't go near the US either it's a complete sh!tshow compared to the rest of the World - deaths in many states still climbing they haven't even hit their peak.

And now with all the protests there's a very real chance of a significant second wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

I'm looking to fly to the UK for a few days. There are no self-isolation/quarantine requirements flying to the UK but flying back to Ireland there are. The Irish regulations are up for review on the 18th of June. Any word if they are likely to be relaxed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Such scaremongering - the poster said they would be travelling to the US in December.
    Which one of you mystic megs could have foreseen the riots and protests in the US a month ago? This is 6 months from now, no one knows what it will be like. But as far as coronavirus is concerned you can bet that New York etc will be well open by December for the Christmas season. They won’t miss the December tourist rush that’s for sure $$$$

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Such scaremongering - the poster said they would be travelling to the US in December.
    Which one of you mystic megs could have foreseen the riots and protests in the US a month ago? This is 6 months from now, no one knows what it will be like. But as far as coronavirus is concerned you can bet that New York etc will be well open by December for the Christmas season. They won’t miss the December tourist rush that’s for sure $$$$

Well said Cbear1993.Too much scaremongering going on on these pages.All the negative comments are probably coming from people who wish the country had gone into a full lock down during the pandemic and hadnt opened back up until a vaccine was found. Well i will be off to the States in December (getting away from the cold weather for a few weeks :D) I hope people dont listen to the doom merchants and try and get away on holidays this year.Too much negative crap going on and people need to get back to some sort of normality

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

CBear1993 wrote: »

I’m hoping to get over there around Feb/March.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Cambodia are requiring a $3000 deposit from all travellers to cover the cost of covid testing, quarantine while testings and treatment if you're sick. Also, if one person on your flight tests positive then everyone needs to quarantine for 14 days.

Those are very strict requirements. Will be interesting to see what other countries put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Cambodia are requiring a $3000 deposit from all travellers to cover the cost of covid testing, quarantine while testings and treatment if you're sick. Also, if one person on your flight tests positive then everyone needs to quarantine for 14 days.

Those are very strict requirements. Will be interesting to see what other countries put in place.
    Who in their right mind is going to give a country a $3000 deposit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Who in their right mind is going to give a country a $3000 deposit?

Especially one with as corrupt a government as Cambodia's

Advertisement