Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Engineer change to mathematics (10 year break)

• 15-05-2020 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All,

Given the situation we are in, I have been doing some soul searching and am interested in career change. I am 31 and have worked as a civil engineer and quantity surveyor for 10 years and just do not think the profession is for me.

I am very interested in mathematics and have a strong desire to pursue something which I think I would be good at and be passionate about. I have not pursued this in the past for a couple of reasons namely; I have a decent job, fear of failure on studying and failure to get a job (I'm risk-averse). These have lead me to block this ambition away.

I work from home so have the flexibility and time to self learn and financially it is not viable to give up job and is too risky.

Upon researching courses etc. I was considering getting the recommended reading on the course outlines for the undergraduate modules in UCC or on the following websites:

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishek/chicmath.htm
    https://www.quantstart.com/articles/How-to-Learn-Advanced-Mathematics-Without-Heading-to-University-Part-1/
    learn from these books and self assess with past exam papers from the UCC undergraduate course.

I believe this would be a big test (Would think 3 years to complete) for myself to see if mathematics is what I want and give me a better understanding of what area in mathematics I would pursue. I initially would consider a UCC masters in Actuarial science or data science on completion of my self learning. What are the job prospects on completion of one of these masters in Cork?

I know many will think I'm mad to pursue this and/or to self learn!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I would suggest that you contact the Maths Dept in ucc for a chat.
    They may take you on to those MSc courses based on your prior maths learning in Engineering.
    You might also want to have a look at the Msc in Computational and Financial Maths

All these courses have good employment prospects.
    Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

(Entry criteria for all courses may come down slightly (unofficially of course) due to very few foreign students taking up courses this autumn.)

Advertisement