Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mengele wrote: »

at least thats a proper brand and proper steel, dunno what they usually sell for but that brand is pricey
    https://www.strengthwear.us/collections/bars-1

on amazon they are selling these crappy bags you fill with water to make plates. They are averaging around £45 for a "20kg dummbell set" when the cast iron sets are usually less.

Some chancing their arm looking for hundreds, I guess they just hope some millionaire idiot make a mistake or something.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=20kg+dumbbell+water&s=price-desc-rank&qid=1587244403&ref=sr_st_price-desc-rank

they are on ebay too.
    https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xdumbbell+water.TRS0&_nkw=dumbbell+water&_sacat=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I would love gyms back asap. Its incredibly good for peoples physical health but for many people their mental health.

But I dont see how they could. Off peak times my gym is really empty. I love it, maybe 5 other people there and never a full class. But come peak times and there wouldnt be a free piece of equipment.
    It would need strict enforcement.

Before mine closed they had limited people allowed on the floor, all classes ran at 50% and already members were
    Pubs should be the absolute last to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I reckon gyms will be one of the last to open considering everyone can get their exercise by other means and gyms are condensed sweat factories.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I reckon gyms will be one of the last to open considering everyone can get their exercise by other means and gyms are condensed sweat factories.

Could measures be implemented such as only a certain amount of members can train per hour. Have one hour slots available and must be booked in advance

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Could measures be implemented such as only a certain amount of members can train per hour. Have one hour slots available and must be booked in advance

It won't be up to gyms when they can reopen. They will reopen as soon as they are allowed to. The extent of the measures they employ after that is anyone's guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

They'd have to have that number of people per hour very low for it to be effective and that wouldn't be good business for them.

The equipment and workout areas would need to be properly disinfected after each use, along with the changing rooms/showers.

From a government stand point, it'll be way down on their list, I think.

I started insanity (had done it a few years back) a few weeks back for the laugh, I'm actually tightening up nicely and my cardio is at an all time high, home workouts aren't all bad but I do miss the social aspect of the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They will open before Christmas............ but not sure which Christmas

Slava Ukrainii

Minime2.5 wrote: »

Given up on buying a bench? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I have a feeling that gyms are going to suffer in the long run. A lot of people are getting used to training from home and have invested in expensive equipment. I can see some gyms closing unfortunately.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hopefully if gyms can reopen on a limited capacity basis, it includes their pools where they exist.

Hopefully if gyms can reopen on a limited capacity basis, it includes their pools where they exist.
    Am dying to get back into the gym swimming pool.

Can't borrow it from the gym :(
    Most of the chains have frozen annual memberships.

Dying for a swim but agree it will be a while :(

Your dying for a swim Sheep Shagger :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Your dying for a swim Sheep Shagger :D

Absolutely:(

Absolutely:(

A sheep dip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Some people won’t go back but they will be a minority I think
    How many people will be over eating and doing feck all during this time and need to lose weight, then you have people that need motivation and classes also, I’m the gym I use there is a massive social element too where you see the same faces daily and have a chat
    Some gyms have people that sign up for a monthly membership and never even go and feel guilty about cancelling

This is what I’ve been thinking about for a while too, when they reopen it’ll be like the first week of January all over again. And as you say with the amount of people eating and drinking out of boredom, it’ll be like the New Years resolutioners x1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Cill94

As someone who works in a gym:

nobody knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I really miss the gym, miss the classes too.
    But how they reopen will depend on my return. If its restricted times, no classes I dont think id bother. They have paused all memberships for now. I have some equipment at home and would imagine as the weeks go on ordering more will become easier.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gp1990

10th August according to government roadmap, but obviously subject to change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

gp1990 wrote: »
    10th August according to government roadmap, but obviously subject to change

And subject to social distancing and hygiene standards etc. so tough to implement perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

this will put so many small gyms out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

Knew it was gonna be a while but seeing it official is gutting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

this will put so many small gyms out of business

The small ones (crossfit types, small group training) would be better able to do social distancing I would have thought, and can stagger people / book them in in sessions etc., ramp up PT etc. I think it's the low price, commercials that will really struggle. Social distancing will just be unenforceable - I can't see them being able to open until a few months post vaccine and social distancing (hopefully!) goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rf1980

more details at https://www.corkchamber.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Roadmap-for-Reopening_May_01.pdf

looks like in phase 4 (20 July) some sports can start training together and swimming pools open. i can imagine some gyms can open then

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gp1990

With social distancing, numbers inside the gym at a given time are going to have to be strictly controlled. The only real way to ensure this is to tweak their membership options (and cutting member numbers).

Maybe a new model would be to enforce members to choose certain time periods per week where they will attend, so all hourly periods in the gym are limited to X members? Dunno how they will control demand for the peak times though... you could have hundreds looking for 6pm each evening...

Am guessing some of the more 'gimmicky' machines will be removed and some serious refits done to ensure more floor space.

Dressing rooms limited to only a few people, with members encouraged to turn up togged out and to shower at home. Class sizes limited also

Lots of changes will be needed but I suppose there's a few months to plan...

Am guessing no matter what happens social distancing will be basically impossible to adhere to 100%, but by looking at the restrictions due to be lifted in 'stage 5' most are not at all conducive to social distancing (contact sports are mentioned to return at this time) so am guessing the government are accounting for this, and stage 5 won't be implemented until there's extremely few cases nationwide, so risk of spread from 30 odd in a gym is basically zero. To be honest they'll probably be hoping many of the public won't be comfortable visiting pubs, gyms etc until treatment/vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭antimatterx

What do people think about gyms actually reopening from a business perspective?

How many dormant users will have canceled their payments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

What do people think about gyms actually reopening from a business perspective?

How many dormant users will have canceled their payments?

It's not looking good. No gym can make social distancing a reality let's be honest. Many congratulations will suffer badly. 3 more months with no membership fees and the rent etc due. It does not look good

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement