Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Willie Thorne diagnosed with leukaemia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jesus hes had a rough time of it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Thats tough. Wish him all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Sad, saw him doing coverage of the Welsh Open recently on BBC, seemed in good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yeah, good luck Willie

Poor auld Willie has gone downhill quickly :o
    Willie Thorne placed into an induced coma in Spain

Former snooker star Willie Thorne has been placed into an induced coma in hospital in Spain after suffering respiratory failure.
    The 66-year-old, who announced he was battling leukaemia in March, was taken to hospital last week with a dangerously low blood pressure.
    A GoFundMe page set up to help pay for Thorne's treatment had surpassed the £17,000 mark by Tuesday lunchtime.
    Thorne's carer Julie O'Neill wrote on the GoFundMe page: "The doctor called me yesterday to inform me that on Sunday Willie went into respiratory failure and he is now in an induced coma and mechanical ventilation.
    "They are treating him with three different antibiotics for three types of infections, which appear to be consuming him at this time.

"We are all hoping that the treatments the hospital are giving him while in this induced coma will help to improve his overall condition and at some point enable him to breath on his own and be brought out of this coma."

Thorne reached two World Championship quarter-finals and won his only ranking title, the Mercantile Credit Classic, in 1982.
    He starred as part of snooker's 'Matchroom Mob' and went on to become a BBC commentator and appear on the 2007 version of Strictly Come Dancing.
    Thorne later battled bankruptcy after admitting he had borrowed up to £1m in order to feed his gambling addiction.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/snooker/2020/0616/1147780-willie-thorne-placed-into-an-induced-coma-in-spain/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

For all the fame and good times he's had a tough old life.

It has been announced that Willie has died. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

RIP Willie Thorne. Condolences to friends and family.

Never really watched him play, knew him more as a commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah poor guy. RIP, Willie and best wishes to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

Rip Mr Maximum

• Advertisement

Was a fine player. Under achieved but nice to watch, laconic style, making it look easy. Himself and brother did a lot for snooker in Leicester. Very sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Sad news, a great character of the game RIP Willie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Rough end for Willie. Let go by the Beeb, broke and separated from his missus all in 2 years.

RIP

Always loved him on commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

RIP
    That was very quick in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Thorne was working for BBC Wales on the Welsh Open just 4 months ago, looked in great health. Shocked at how fast his health deteriorated.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sad news. Happy go lucky chap.

Hendry’s tweet I found little odd: “I know he had his faults and weaknesses.”

Not sure why that merits being mentioned..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

A great character and commentator RIP

walshb wrote: »

Willie did have his demons i guess, maybe you could say it's a bit insensitive of hendry to reference it like that but flaws and all, people still held willie in high regard so i think it's fair enough personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

RIP Willie. A great character whose commentary I loved to listen to growing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

walshb wrote: »

hendry is known to be a cold fish by anyone who knows the game and its people

Willie did have his demons i guess, maybe you could say it's a bit insensitive of hendry to reference it like that but flaws and all, people still held willie in high regard so i think it's fair enough personally.

Yes, I know

It just seemed like he had to say it. Was of no real need to say it

And really, Thorne is known, but he is not a huge name or anything.....

I was reading all the various tweets and they were to the point and nice and decent....

I guess I could kind of understand it if it was some really really well known person with well known highlighted issues...

Willie applauding Hendry here at the end was lovely.

The Nal wrote: »
    Willie applauding Hendry here at the end was lovely.

Remember that match so well. How obvious it was that we were witnessing the arrival of a new star. Nice gesture at the end and always good to hear Ted and John Spencer on comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad to hear that. Enjoyed listening to him on commentary.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

The Nal wrote: »

King strikes me as a bit of a pain. I remember BBC did a RoS tribute before the UK a few years ago with everyone saying nice things, and King used it to gloat about one of the times he beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Very sad news.

Met him round the corner from the Crucible at the worlds a few years ago. He was happy to stop for a picture and was very friendly.

zuutroy wrote: »
    King strikes me as a bit of a pain. I remember BBC did a RoS tribute before the UK a few years ago with everyone saying nice things, and King used it to gloat about one of the times he beat him.

Yes. Just utterly uncalled for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

One of the funnier memories of Willie...

Advertisement