Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lordy, anyone not particularly "indoors'y" is going to be driven spare. Cabin Fever is probably going to be the real infection. Crazy amount of
    businesses and outlets closing for the 2 weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bacchus wrote: »
    Wonder will cinemas in Ireland now have to limit audience to 100 people per showing with the new rules in place till end of month?

Movies @ Swords posted this.
    Customers please note that in following with HSE guidelines we have reduced all of our screen sizes by half capacity to ensure each customer can keep a distance of over a meter between the next customer. This means at minimum every second seat will be left unoccupied in all of our screens.
    The safety of our customers is paramount to us and we look forward to your cooperation in implementing these guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

And Lighthouse reduced to 50% capacity.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I’ll definitely be avoiding the cinema until this blows over.

With all these re-scheduled release changes to the tentpoles, late 2020/21 is gonna get very congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

A quiet place II now being pushed back to a later date also......cinemas that do stay open will have very slim pickings these next 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Same with Fast and Furious 9 and Mulan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

And Antlers, which I was really looking forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

No. It’s just not worth it. There are too many unknowns and unknowable risks.

I’ve a big TV and I’ll splash out on a big range of streaming services instead

As much as I’d love to go to the cinema and do all sorts of other things, I’m prepared to just wait this out until it calms down.

I might even get going on a novel or something.

I’d even taken on a hobbyist course that involved doing some field work. That’s going to have to go on pause now too.

Hopefully this might improve by the summer. If not, we are in for a long haul until medications and eventually vaccines are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Xertz wrote: »
    No. It’s just not worth it. There are too many unknowns and unknowable risks.

I’ve a big TV and I’ll splash out on a big range of streaming services instead

As much as I’d love to go to the cinema and do all sorts of other things, I’m prepared to just wait this out until it calms down.

I might even get going on a novel or something.

I’d even taken on a hobbyist course that involved doing some field work. That’s going to have to go on pause now too.

Hopefully this might improve by the summer. If not, we are in for a long haul until medications and eventually vaccines are available.

Where do you get all the time for doing this stuff do you mind me asking

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I to have decided as much as I love my cinema that it is not worth the risk and going on public transport is not worth the risk either especially as I live with someone who is much more vulnerable to this disease than I am. So I have to be extra careful for them to.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

With all the movies pushed back anyway, not much to see anyway.

Ms

murpho999 wrote: »
    There's no need to wear gloves.

Also, you're not going to get the virus from touching a chair it's from sharing a room and breathing the same air.

Actually you are wrong about that. If someone else who has the virus on there hands has touched that chair or even a door on the way in and the next person in touches that then they could get the virus on there hands and then when they put there hands to there face they will have it. The virus can stay on services from two to three days. Maybe on clothe services and fake leather it might not survive long but some cinema's have chairs wit wood or chrome in them and it could survive there and on the doors into the cinema.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The short answer from me is no. There is no point in me going to the cinema until this Covid-19 is declared completely dead by both global & Irish health authorities.

Just 4 people with me at the screening of Bloodshot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ended up in Odeon Coolock last night to catch 'Parasite' again before it goes. Myself and my companion had the place to ourselves. Bliss.

The staff at my local cinema were wearing gloves. Sensible thing to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

branie2 wrote: »
    Just 4 people with me at the screening of Bloodshot

Given the movie, I'm not sure the number would be that much higher on a normal day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Going to watch calm with horses next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I'll go if the covid guidance remains as it is, I'll continue what i do with the hand washing and keep away from people

Saw "The Invisible man" tonight......the film was very good, a lot better than I thought it would be. But the cinema had only about 10 people all in all at this screening and it was actually one of the most enjoyable cinematic experiences I've ever had.

• Advertisement

Our local cinema has been closed until further notice, to help prevent the spread of the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

All IMC cinemas are closed from 16th until 29th of March

https://www.imccinemas.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

kerplun k wrote: »

I imagine the rest will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Odeon Cinemas have this notice on their website.
    Guest Information: We want you to feel comfortable in our cinemas, so in line with government guidelines, we are limiting the seats for sale, so you are able to sit where you like with more space between you and our other guests.

https://www.odeoncinemas.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

spurious wrote: »
    Ended up in Odeon Coolock last night to catch 'Parasite' again before it goes. Myself and my companion had the place to ourselves. Bliss.

don't mind watching a thriller or drama in an empty cinema...but watching a comedy is deadpan:( you need the spontaneous laughter around you (imo)

Omniplex have closed aswell now. I'm pretty sure the lighthouse has also. Cineworld seems to be the last man standing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I can only assume it's because Corona virus just can't survive the microbiome of crud already present in Cineworld's seating.

Ms

spurious wrote: »

I hate that overhyped movie as much as I hated the musical movie 5 or 6 years ago that was that was a remake and was shiii't.

santana75 wrote: »
    Saw "The Invisible man" tonight......the film was very good, a lot better than I thought it would be. But the cinema had only about 10 people all in all at this screening and it was actually one of the most enjoyable cinematic experiences I've ever had.

I seen it. It as an average movie. Nothing special. It could easily have been 30 minutes shorter.
    kerplun k wrote: »

Dam them. That's end of the Savoy Cinema in Dublin so.
    The could have just waited till Friday and then closed. I am sure the family that runs them will be delighted do. They can now do whatever it is they want with the Savoy Dublin now that they first ruined it and its now closed.

santana75 wrote: »
    Omniplex have closed aswell now. I'm pretty sure the lighthouse has also. Cineworld seems to be the last man standing at this stage.

Nope that is gone too now. Only one screening on Friday for some reason and that's it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

any entrepreneurs coming up with drive in cinemas? some kind of mobile app could do the sound.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ Elizabeth Rapping Cable

murpho999 wrote: »
    There's no need to wear gloves.

Also, you're not going to get the virus from touching a chair it's from sharing a room and breathing the same air.

I wish people would stop spreading misinformation. The virus is spread by droplets passing from a person who has it into another person's mucus membranes. This can happen if an infected person sneezes or coughs around you or if you touch a surface or object they have sneezed or coughed over then rub your eyes or nose or put your fingers in your mouth.

The virus can last for a couple of days on some surfaces hence the need for thorough and regular hand washing. Any time you go to the supermarket for instance you're handling baskets and trollies that numerous other people have touched, products that have been handled and coughed over, keyed your debit card number into a machine used by loads of people etc etc etc

Same when you use an atm machine, a petrol pump, push the door of a shop open and so on.

Just keep washing your hands.

Advertisement