Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Yearly Goals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I didn't set a target for the year but I'm pretty chuffed with my 11,230 final total (won't get out today!). Definitely a case of little and often with the 2km and then 5km lockdowns. I'd have had a fair bit on the turbo too which doesn't register on the odometer. Also I reckon my climbing stats must be decent given that so much of my riding was up and down the neighbourhood Dublin mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

reached my two yearly goals of 12,000Km in distance and 120k metres of UP so happy with those :)
    Also highlight spin was the mini-Evil 2020

had planned to do another cycling holiday (did the Raid Pyrenean 2019) in Corsica but with Covid-19 that didn't happen ..(are there direct flights to Corsica from here ?)
    also wimped out of finishing the RF500 today with 42Km to go :(:(

here's my Veloviewer summary if it loads

Happy New Year to All

newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=115757017

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

ofthelord wrote: »
    My main goal for 2020 is to just keep enjoying the cycling.

Distance - 5000km+
    Time - 200 hours
    Elevation gain - 65k+ metres

For 2020 I'd like to try hit 250 hours on the bike and maybe hit 6000km, and as I enjoy the hills I'd like to pass 70k metres elevation gain.

I split my time between cycling and running so can't be aiming for too much of an increase in bike time.

* start making the Saturday morning clubs spins - fell out of the habit in the 2nd half of 2019
    * complete the reservoir dog sportive - loved it the last couple of years
    * get out for more long trail/gravel spins - I'm spoiled for choice living in Wicklow!
    * toying with the idea of trying a few club races during the summer - this is a 50/50 goal, still not sure i'm up to it...

Missed most of these early year goals.

I did manage 215 hours cycling, 4890km distance, 70,800m elevation gain.
    Did not make many of the weekend club cycles, but I did a few of the club races during the summer. My first time racing and loved it, looking forward to a few more this coming summer.
    Was signed up for Reservoir Dogs and Quest Glendalough but both were postponed.
    I'd say 40-50% of my cycling for the year was done off-road - it can get very messy this time of year but it is worth it for the scenery and quiet.
    I did 100+ hours of running for the year, and plan on reducing this next year to hopefully concentrate more on the cycling. getting old now and cycling is a lot easier on the body I find

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

14,000km across road & Zwift for the year. I missed many goals & targets racing but it wasn’t a bad year overall.

Ended the year with a surgery so I’ve enjoyed the festive period living in the cupboards! Next year we have a slow start to the racing so plenty time to get tuned up.

Happy New Year to all & hope we can ride together once again in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

rushfan wrote: »
    Not too bad so far, had planned on using the bike to get to & from work a lot more this year irrespective of the "C" word, and I'm doing just that. Around 730km for April which would have been one of my best months ever. Hoping to break the 5,000km ceiling this year so here's hoping.

Well, I finally did break the 5,000km glass ceiling. I know it's nothing compared to what some are doing but such is life. My job is/was co-located shall we say, and after the Covid started we were asked to work in only one area which was way more conducive to cycling. Ended up at 6,442km which I'm very happy with, was hoping to get to 6.5km but when I woke up this morning I knew I would'nt even be opening the shed. Onwards & upwards ro the big 7k next year. Happy 2021 to all, stay safe etc......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭wijam

wijam wrote: »
    Improve on last years end result of 4800Km - targeting 8000km this year if possible. Try and get out 3 mornings a week and Saturday and Sunday

In regards to events, 5 definites so far and one maybe
    • Tour de Conamara
    • Wicklow 200
    • Girona Gran Fondo
    • Wicklow Gran Fondo (maybe)
    • Inishowen 100
    • Tour de Boyne Valley
    Also have a few cycling holidays booked, all Spain, 2 in Girona, St Patrick's Day and the Gran Fondo in June and in Mallorca for a week at Easter.

Thinking about heading out in October for a week and Christmas for 2 weeks, but they'll be booked later in the year.

Also keep an eye on any events local to Dublin that I can get out and do, as I don't drive they have to be close :)

Well 2020 was a wash out on events and holidays, and a few bad months left me hitting 5600km for the year, so well short of 8000km

Although I did start a 5K run challenge for charity when the first lockdown came in and completed day 279 this morning, with only 86 5K's to go, so I blame that for some of the months, as I'm not a big runner and it took me a while to get used to running everyday :) and I'm up to 1500km for the year running :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm on 3985/4000. Totally ran out of motivation in early December. Was on course for 4500 & was considering the Festive 500 too. But happy with it all considered, this year I've switched from rarely doing club rides to being there every week (lockdowns aside) so have gone off solo spins for some reason.
    The wife was wondering why I refused to take the car to collect food for tonight in the rain. Went on the Brompton instead and had a lovely casual spin to finish the year on 4001km

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The clocked ticked over 8000km last night. Not bad for such a ****ty year

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Ended the year with 4800km on the clock a little bit shy of my 5k goal. With the weather getting cold and the roads getting slippy I went offroad for the last few weeks. Having said that, it's the most I have ever done in a year so I'm pretty pleased. Hopefully next year I'll hit the 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭meercat

Got 17,285 done. In fairness the lockdowns gave me more time on the bike.hadn’t intended doing near as much. Don’t mind solo cycling but I did miss all the sportives around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭G1032

Ended up on 7539km for the year. No turbo included in that.

I had only missed 2 training sessions from mid October 2019 up until July. I'd had the M40 Nationals as a target (not a hope of winning but just wanted to do well).

But as the year went on I was reluctant to travel to get a few races in and finally realised sometime at the end of July I wasn't going to race the Nationals. Kept training trying to convince myself I'd do them but couldn't just rock up with no races under my belt, so kind of pulled the plug altogether in August.

I had absolutely no motivation from then on and just got tired of it all. I didn't care if I never saw the bike again.
    Tried to get back at it in mid October but I was absolutely wrecked. Was exhausted even doing Tempo sessions. Pulled the plug again for total rest and restarted in mid November.

Enjoying training again now. Fitness coming along nicely and had good motivation to get out when work/family commitments allowed over the Christmas and yesterday managed to tip over the 7500km for the year.

None of my turbo sessions clock distance so I've absolutely no clue what I'd have clocked on the turbo.

All in all a good year on the bike. Happy with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Goal was 7500 and if I could match last years 8300 or whatever it was. Fell in between, being about 70-80km short fo 8000 km which is annoying. Caveat to that is, February was a write off as I was sick for much of it and had a new job and I got married in Novemeber (obviously highlight of the year/life)so have spent the last 5-6 weeks caring about more important things in life and enjoying myself off the bike.

I got lighter and possibly fitter than ever as for the first time in my adult life I was sub 70 kg around May/June thanks to the turbo trainer, all while eating everything around me. I'm now probably a good 7-8 kg heavier thanks to the above.

I stole a KoM from a well known bike mechanic too and got good at climbing for a while. My genesis tour de fer is also an absolute blast to cycle so looking forward to some long, slow cycles this year.

2021 has to be better even if I cycle less (and I'm getting married again sort of)

537824.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A strange year without any organised events (except the Boards Mini Evil). Found it very difficult to stay motivated during the 5k lockdowns (as half my circle is in the Irish sea) but the ability to continue commuting offered some solace. Happy new year everyone.

BFZxrSdh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

A strange year without any organised events (except the Boards Mini Evil). Found it very difficult to stay motivated during the 5k lockdowns (as half my circle is in the Irish sea) but the ability to continue commuting offered some solace. Happy new year everyone.

(Not sure why Veloviewer insist that the number of centuries refers to miles only (i.e.160kms) when the rest is done in kms?)

[SNIP]

There are two checkboxes on the page that generates the infographic, you have centuries (miles) ticked and centuries (km) unticked I reckon

nilhg wrote: »
    There are two checkboxes on the page that generates the infographic, you have centuries (miles) ticked and centuries (km) unticked I reckon
    Ah, spot on thanks. Edited now (and walks removed also!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I managed 4,500km last year following a serious illness that had me off the bike for almost a year. I aimed for 6,000km this year but managed over 10,000km - solo. It could have been more but I parked the bike during Lockdown 1 for the 2km thing and went walking instead. I also managed my first +200km spin. Then with lockdown 2.0, I lost motivation and had to drag myself out on the bike - so many spins where the hardest part was getting out the door.

VV2020410.png

No foreign spins this year....

MM2020.jpg

Happy New Year to all.

crosstownk wrote: »
    ..Then with lockdown 2.0, I lost motivation and had to drag myself out on the bike - so many spins where the hardest part was getting out the door....
    What I found hardest about the 5k limit wasn't getting out but staying out. I left so many times with the intention of doing 100k and ended up coming in after 20/30k. I found it very hard to stay out in bad weather when I was never more that a few kms from my front door. At least, when the weather turns bad when in Louth, Meath, Kildare,or Wicklow, you have no choice but to put in the work to get home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My 5km was 50% in the sea so I didn’t bother half the time. Looking at veloviewer, I had c. 5500km on the turbo and only 2500km on the road. A lot of junk miles.

The first 3 months of last year was a lot more structured. Then it was more to keep some what fit, and something to pass the time.

What I found hardest about the 5k limit wasn't getting out but staying out.

Agreed. I found getting out tough knowing that staying out would be difficult. I did try the turbo but it's not for me. I'd sooner cycle up and down O'Connell Street ten times - at least I'd be out and about which is one of my main motivators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I did 8,000km last year and did have 10k in mind for this year but finished up just short of 4,000km. But considering the year that it was, plus I broke my foot twice, I'm happy enough with it. Incidentally I've never hurt myself in bike accidents but breaking my foot twice in 2 freakishly stupid accidents was a bit much. Have now walked almost 250km this year though - aiming now to get back cycling in Feb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Takca wrote: »
    6,500km (managed 5200 last year but I was out of action for about 2 months due to injuries, so it should be doable)
    7,726km this year, most of it outdoors, pretty happy with that
    Climb faster ( AKA loose about 15kg)
    Nope, the same weight as Jan 2020
    I'll probably do a few events but none are specific goals

Nothing happened here :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Good riddance to 2020 and I hope everyone gets to achieve their goals in 2021.

537842.png

I'd no goals at all really but cycled way less than I should have. When lockdown first happened and we had the 2km limit I got board very quickly despite having loads of time to cycle. I took to walking with the eldest cycling or scooting with me. When the 5km radius happened I took to covering roads I'd not been on for a while or one's I didn't know what was down there and that was 'interesting' to say the least but did have a few routes that got me over 30km without doing laps.

I cycled 4500 odd km's and walked 2000km's (the dog is fine shape these days)

The times we are in and all but remember the quite roads we had in March and April and May ????? Those were a joy which I have to hope we never see again, perverse isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

My cycle target was 2500km as I was injured from October 2019 till around may 2020 so didnt set to big a target but finished the year 3822km cycle and 308km running.

The target this year is 5000km cycle and 500km running.

My first purchase this year is a direct trainer to do a bit of RGT / Zwift cycling through winter months. Thinking Elite direto Xr)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I’m popping my 2021 distance goal into Strava.

Apparently I’m already 10K behind plan

Give me a break Strava it’s not even 12 hours into new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

I didn't set any goals for 2020 as I only returned to cycling in October 2019 after 13 months off the bike
    I hung up my bikes in September 2018 very pissed off and frustrated because in the previous 4 weeks I had 10 punctures, 3 in 1 ride
    and 5 near misses 2 of which would have been life changing if not life ending and 2 by the same driver a few minutes apart
    But I'm glad to say that I really enjoyed 2020 and am really looking forward to 2021 with the view to bettering 2020's figures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Same as last year and the years before.... trying to minimize the annual degradation with a yearly budget of 300-350 hours training and 200-250 sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

8eyRczk.jpg
    Looks like myself and Crosstownk should be meeting up in Phnom Penh:)

zbFeRxs.jpg
    NCD featuring even more heavily than normal!

That's some comeback Agent Smyth.

Looks like myself and Crosstownk should be meeting up in Phnom Penh:)

I could have sworn I saw you in a Boards jersey sipping on a Cambodian coffee on the banks of the Mekong yesterday..........? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Cycle 4000km ( last year was 2500 and did 3700)
    Run 500km did 306km last year

Take part in a few sportifs
    Ring of beara
    Ring of Kerry ( I did this alone last year in pouring rain. :)
    Killarney quest adventure race
    Dingle adventure race...

And what ever wife let's me to after that....

New year purchase of a Elite direto xr when one becomes available will assist meeting my targets as have young family

Are these not your 2021 goals ?
    Wrong thread if so :)

Advertisement