Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 BDO World Championships

Comments

I think a lot of them "beauty pageant" comments were only a bit of craic - nothing derogatory or lewd.

And as far as "only a kid" the girl's nearly 16 so going by the way the wind is blowing with pc culture, multiculturalism and whatnot she could well be "of age" in many countries so going by that metric it might even be discriminatory or racist to consider a female that age a child.

Not totally my own opinion/s, partly my own opinion, partly the actual law of the land and partly playing devil's avocado.

There it is.

Can't we watch the darts and also have an opinion on the player/s' personality appearance without going over the top or looking to seek offence.... on someone else's behalf. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I think a lot of them "beauty pageant" comments were only a bit of craic - nothing derogatory or lewd.

And as far as "only a kid" the girl's nearly 16 so going by the way the wind is blowing with pc culture, multiculturalism and whatnot she could well be "of age" in many countries so going by that metric it might even be discriminatory or racist to consider a female that age a child.

Not totally my own opinion/s, partly my own opinion, partly the actual law of the land and partly playing devil's avocado.

There it is.

Can't we watch the darts and also have an opinion on the player/s' personality appearance without going over the top or looking to seek offence.... on someone else's behalf. :confused:

Dont think we should be commenting on anyone's appearance and definitely not a 15 year old child!

As you'll usually see with the likes of Ally Dick an Justin Credible, they are disgusting looking gremlins themselves but hide behind anonymous profiles. You never know who reads these sites an forums. I'd hate to read comments about my appearance if I was just looking to play some darts. Mods on here are terrible at this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

US2 wrote: »
    you'll usually see with the likes of Ally Dick an Justin Credible, they are disgusting looking gremlins themselves but hide behind anonymous profiles

People tell me I'm the spit of George Clooney

• Registered Users Posts: 26 minggatu

VanGerwen/Hens vs. Price/Harrison in promidarts final

• Registered Users Posts: 26 minggatu

MVG: i'm more afraid of her (Sarah Harrison) as from Price because she makes some weird things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think this is a strong move from bdo.
    Lakeside was depending on the owner to entirely fund the thing and was clearly on a downer year on year.
    They were wide open there to the whim of that promoter.
    It's a brave move and very surprised they went for such a high profile central London venue. I'd give them credit for that and treat it lime a brand new tournament. They have eurosport live coverage, a few new sponsors, if they sell tickets, the prize money could easily rise in a couple of seasons. It would appear as they were it was dying. This is a chance to rebuild somewhat.

mickdw wrote: »
    Lakeside was depending on the owner to entirely fund the thing and was clearly on a downer year on year.
    It's a brave move and very surprised they went for such a high profile central London venue. I'd give them credit for that and treat it lime a brand new tournament. They have eurosport live coverage, a few new sponsors, if they sell tickets, the prize money could easily rise in a couple of seasons. It would appear as they were it was dying. This is a chance to rebuild somewhat.

No sponsors atall as far as I know, and Eurosport arent paying them. This is there last tournament, wdf have distanced themselves. The men dont even know how much they're playing for.

Meanwhile, on the Darts' front things getting a bit wobbly for the jolly (favourite)
    Jim Williams. At least we won't have Rawling or Nicholson going overboard about
    a huge - massive shock, if Jim loses.

John Gwynn - highlight of the night for me. He has that touch of class, yet not above
    the common man either.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

No sponsors atall as far as I know, and Eurosport arent paying them. This is there last tournament, wdf have distanced themselves. The men dont even know how much they're playing for.
    Yeah, all I can see is BetBrokers as official shirt sponsors.

I meant if they could get a couple on board, they have live tv to drive interest, a great location and if they can get people ikn the door, it could improve. I'd imagine a lot more people could make it to this venue that could organise a trip to lakeside.

• Advertisement

This could be a last ditch effort. Eurosport's a popular channel/ lots of continental players. Could well be fighting off sponsors with a stick and perhaps have at least another 3 - 5 years of glory days. Might even come back stronger unlikely as that seems right now.

Definitely think it can be salvaged and wouldn't be writing off the competition/organisation yet.

Bit of a long shot but there's definitely hope there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I meant if they could get a couple on board, they have live tv to drive interest, a great location and if they can get people ikn the door, it could improve. I'd imagine a lot more people could make it to this venue that could organise a trip to lakeside.

I’ll be stunned if this goes ahead next year.

This lot are in their death throes and have only themselves to blame.

Shocking management

TbL

I dont think ye have been paying attention lads. BDO is done . Would have been gone long ago only for potter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I'm not surprised that Fallon went to Germany for the fun darts tournament. The womens prize money in the BDO is insulting. Imagine getting €650 for going out in the second round!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

is that you des jacklin ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

This could be a last ditch effort. Eurosport's a popular channel/ lots of continental players. Could well be fighting off sponsors with a stick and perhaps have at least another 3 - 5 years of glory days. Might even come back stronger unlikely as that seems right now.

Definitely think it can be salvaged and wouldn't be writing off the competition/organisation yet.

Bit of a long shot but there's definitely hope there I think.
    Except Eurosport outside UK and Ireland were televising winter sports, not darts. Eurosport is rather disjointed now, unlike the days when channels like Eurosport and MTV Europe had the one feed across Europe.

I guess the darts were available to those who subscribe to Eurosport online streams. I can't be sure on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Just to be clear on this ...
    It's not okay to slag off teenage girls because of their appearance - and it's horrific to see that being excused by some on here. Kids learn that in school these days ffs

Deleted a load of crap posts and will revisit those tomorrow (today)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Mod Note: Ally Dick banned for three days for their numerous posts regarding the female players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Whoever is on camera now should be shot. They are not anticipating the throw at all

They may not be employing a spotter/scorer for the camera men. Sky, I think employ Keith Deller purely just to tell the cameramen the likely outshots

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Also, anymore derogatory comments about how the female players look will be an automatic ban. Other posters are lucky that posts have been deleted.

This darts forum is better than some of the comments I've read in this thread.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Also, anymore derogatory comments about how the female players look will be an automatic ban. Other posters are lucky that posts have been deleted.

This darts forum is better than some of the comments I've read in this thread.

Seems only a recent thing, on this forum years and never heard it. Males shouldn't be exempt either, children wouldn't spout most of the insults aimed at players .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I can't comment on any of the players cause I can't see the bloody darts :-(

Why the hell is Eurosport not on the Sky or Eir package, or if it is why do I not have it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I can't comment on any of the players cause I can't see the bloody darts :-(

Why the hell is Eurosport not on the Sky or Eir package, or if it is why do I not have it??

I have the SD channel on a fairly basic Sky package, no sports. I’m actually watching on IPTV though, the clarity of the SD channel is pure muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Seems only a recent thing, on this forum years and never heard it. Males shouldn't be exempt either, children wouldn't spout most of the insults aimed at players .

Agreed, it should include male players. The likes of John Henderson and Adrian Lewis amongst others get a battering from certain poster(s) here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I have the SD channel on a fairly basic Sky package, no sports. I’m actually watching on IPTV though, the clarity of the SD channel is pure muck.

Ye it's funny, not sure what i signed up for, have most of the sports channels but not Eurosport!

Looks like they've widened the walk in area and employed a bouncer from yesterday.

Yesterday it was so tight walking in it looked like they were trying to get through a packed nightclub!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Stewball

Eurosport HD is part of the Sky entertainment package.

Eurosport have pulled the plug!

Camera work is bloody shocking alright. No adapting the camera for cover shots or focusing in on the double.

Thompson there was on 91 and the camera was still focused on the top half of the board for his outshot:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The camera work is shoddy no doubt and like when eurosport started doing the snooker, it was done on a shoe string with commentry teams not even travelling to venues.
    If the tournament can survive, it could well grow.
    I think the venue they are at raises the profile, looks good and is very accessible. How have they priced the tickets versus last year?
    Im sure the facilities within the venue are a long way ahead of the lakeside.

Advertisement