Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Goals for 2020??

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

First Goal
    Keep enjoying running and stay injury free, or more to point be smarter and listen to body when needing to rest.

Current PB's
    5k - 18.31 - Target 18.2X
    10k - 40.54- Target Sub 40
    Half 1.32.46 - Target Sub 1.30
    Marathon 3.25.20 - Target Sub 3.15

Also want to race a 5 mile and a 10 mile for first time.

First full year running so please excuse predictions.

5k - No race but did 3 time trials with best at 16.51
    10k - 35.46 Time Trial
    Half- Bohermeen 1.24.04
    Marathon - 2.57 Time Trial

5 mile - Raheny 29.30
    10 mile - 59.28 Time Trial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

py wrote: »
    1. Parkrun Double on NYD - After seeing all the happy folks who did the double in 2019 I knew I had to get this done in 2020. Might seem like a small goal but it put a big smile on my face yesterday after completing it.

Done. No more NYD doubles so happy to have got it completed when I did.
    2. Runmutes - 1-2 of these per week. These are new to me but it's going to be additional mileage and an alternative to the bike when commuting. I may eventually build up to a to/from runmute depending on cooperation from the body.

Got a couple done before (a) getting injured and (b) lockdown moved to me to permanent wfh. I suppose my runs in the morning before work could be classed as runmites. :)
    3. S&C - I have the facilties to get S&C done in work so no excuses not to get it done. Have formulated a weekly schedule that I think will work from a time and physical pov.

Started off well and when injury occurred, it fell to the wayside.
    4. PBs - PBs in DCM and Race series would be great. I will wait till closer to race time and evaluate how the body/mind feel before putting specific time goals in place. Everything in first half of the year will be new distances for me so finishing within time cutoffs is the plan for those.

PBs across the board.
    5Km- 22:14 - PB by 20 seconds
    10Km - 45:59 - PB by ~5-6 minutes
    10 mile - 1:15:54 - PB by ~9 minutes
    1/2 marathon - 1:41:46 - PB by ~6 minutes
    Marathon - 4:09 - PB by ~20 minutes

5Km was done after just getting back from injury so feel there's a sub 22 in the legs and my first 50Km (5:24) was also at the start of the year so there may be a sub 5 in there too. Hoping to have a crack at the 5Km around February. No plans for anything past marathon distance next year as of yet.
    5. Fun - This is probably my #1 goal. Keep enjoying the training process and everything else will/should fall in to place.

This came and went. A few tough weeks in the DCM training block. Took another 5-6 weeks after DCM for me to start enjoying running once again but the mojo is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

MY BAD wrote: »
    Obviously try and stay injury free and run over 3000km for the year. Consistency with my training in running and supplementary work.

I managed to hit 3000km today but I didn't stay injury free the past six months have been fairly brutal. I'm trying to build things up slowly again.
    5km sub 17 minutes.
    5 miles sub 29 minutes targeting low 28s.
    10km sub 35:40

If track happens (not sure if it will) 1500m sub 4:40, 3000m sub 10 minutes.

Despite Covid I hit most my race targets. No 10km race through.

I ran 5km TT in 16:59 then a few weeks later in the summer I got a race PB of 16:51. I was really delighted with that one.

I only ran 5mile once this year in Raheney a PB 28:35.

I was gearing up for a few track races but injury put a halt to that. I had three 3000m and a mile race on the cards. I manage to make my 3000m debut and hit my target set back in December 2019 of 9:59. I had a fall in that race too. I was a bit disappointed at the time how that race went but still a goal so can't knock it.
    Also continue to stay active with my club and the greater local running community, volunteering where needed.

I was in charge of senior training until the lockdown in March. I organised a few virtual 5km races for our members over the summer. Just the odd bit of logistics helping out some club mates on TTs in the past few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Fenster wrote: »
    Eh, I'm not aiming hugely for times this year. I've segued a fair bit into trail running, where just finishing for me will be an accomplishment.
    • Complete 50k trail ultra marathon, in Malta in May!
    • Complete second trail ultra in latter half of the year.
    • Complete two trail half marathons, in January and March.
    • Earn five UTMB points.
    • Complete two road marathons, one in April and the other in May. One I'm running at training pace, and the other is a beer marathon (hic).
    • Run in four countries this summer.
    • Run 2500km for the year (2400 for year of 2019, grr!).
    • Learn to swim, like properly.
    • Sub 20 minute 5k.
    • Sub 40 minute 10k.
    • Sub 1:30 half marathon.

• Xterra Gozo (Malta) was moved from May to October. I missed the October date due to the lockdown here, so I've deferred to May coming.
    • I completed a self-supported trail ultra, and self-supported trail marathon, in April and May. My finish could have been a lot better, but I take that as a sign of my building fitness.
    • 0 UTMB points earned.
    • I completed many many tough trail runs through the year.
    • I ran in two countries.
    • 2500km for the year blown through. I'm just shy of 3000km, which I need to finish this week and next.
    • Only went swimming like twice.
    • 20:46 5k.
    • No 10k events run this year.
    • 01:40:30 half marathon time trial. Absolutely I could have done better, I plan to rerun this time trial in the next two weeks.

Overall, my biggest accomplishments this year were in moving to Switzerland and having the run of the Alps for six months. My technical skill and base level of fitness have come a long way since January, though I still feel short of where I want to be. It was a great feeling to come home to old hills and haunts, and feel no challenge in running them.

I look forward to completing goals in 2021 that I feel I fell short on this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Running Goals for 2020

* Berlin 2021- Run a sub 2:45 marathon to qualify for Berlin in 2021. Two attempts Seville in February and Dublin.
    * Half Marathon (Charleville)- For one reason or another I have not done a half marathon in two years. My pb is 1:21:00 so would be hoping for a pb.
    *Break 4,000 kms for the year.
    *Stay enjoying running and those I run with.

Got Berlin 2021. 2:43:10 in Seville in February. Little did we know what was in store for the rest of the year.

Half Marathon didn't happen.

Forgot about my 4,000km target. Finished about 800km of the target. Hard to keep motivation going particularly from mid October to November and then ended up sick for 10 days at the start of December.

Who would have thought my last goal would end up meaning so much. 15 of us went to Seville, on Tuesdays we could have 30 people training of all abilities all walks of life all with the common goal of just enjoying running and making themselves better. This year when this was taken away you really realize how much a team sport running actually is.

Also boards really was brilliant throughout the year. The TT's set up during lockdown and reading the training logs was great and just the atmosphere around this thread. Yiz are all deadly.

A few other things popped up that wasn't expected. I really enjoyed doing two 5km on the track. One the day of pbs and the other the masters national champs. Breaking 17 minutes was the goal for both and I did 16:67
    :D

Will take a few days to get the time to write the 2021 goals, but enjoying running, the people I run with, and the people whose running I read about will definitely be on the list.

Happy New Year folks.
    Beir Bua

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Got Berlin 2021. 2:43:10 in Seville in February. Little did we know what was in store for the rest of the year.

Half Marathon didn't happen.

Forgot about my 4,000km target. Finished about 800km of the target. Hard to keep motivation going particularly from mid October to November and then ended up sick for 10 days at the start of December.

Who would have thought my last goal would end up meaning so much. 15 of us went to Seville, on Tuesdays we could have 30 people training of all abilities all walks of life all with the common goal of just enjoying running and making themselves better. This year when this was taken away you really realize how much a team sport running actually is.

Also boards really was brilliant throughout the year. The TT's set up during lockdown and reading the training logs was great and just the atmosphere around this thread. Yiz are all deadly.

A few other things popped up that wasn't expected. I really enjoyed doing two 5km on the track. One the day of pbs and the other the masters national champs. Breaking 17 minutes was the goal for both and I did 16:67
    :D

Will take a few days to get the time to write the 2021 goals, but enjoying running, the people I run with, and the people whose running I read about will definitely be on the list.

Happy New Year folks.
    Beir Bua

Bulaí fir! Great post and fantastic accomplishments with very appropriate emphasis on the thing that matters mostly, the running community!

Bliain Úr faoi mhaise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

whatnext wrote: »
    I started out on a few 5k runs last year. I have multi faceted goals for 2020, obviously interlinked. Firstly I need to lose the 5kg rucksack around my waist (it was 10kg), everything will be easier when I'm not carrying that around with me.

Targets:
    5k 21:00 PB 22:44 (I'll really be pushing for 20:00 but have to be realistic)
    I'll be going all out for the Bob Heffernan 5k

10k 49:59 PB 54:22 (Based on my current 5k time I feel I should aim for 48:00)
    Haven't picked a race yet, but will be later in the year.

Well things didnt go fully to plan. A lot of niggles along the way but nothing serious thankfully.

I find it tough running alone so relishing the eventual return of races whenever it is with a further years running in my legs.

As for the targets - missed out on the what has proved to be an ambitious 5k target. got to 21:51 in July, a 53 sec improvement but a far cry from the target.

As for the 10k: I got to 49:01 in January and from september to December ive ran at least half a dozen solo 10ks between 48:01 and 48:10. Decided to give it one more bash this this morning before posting here and smashed it, 47:38. I know its outside of the date, but with the year thats in it I'm taking it.

So one from two hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Lose more weight. :o Aim is to add 30-35 PRs and be in a position to do #100 the following year. Keep volunteering. It's good to be on the good side of the local junior PR Mr Big. :D
    Do a few more road races.
    Reduce my PBs further, particularly my 5k and 1 Mile. (When I say PBs, I mean post age 50 PBs. Not ever getting close to my lifetime PBs.)

But yeah, that weight...

Lost 10 lbs. :)

I did 8 parkruns and 4 volunteers before the lockdown. Best 5k was 29:15, 40 secs outside my PB, but it was during a training run!

Best performance by far was the mile TT in 7:42, my fastest since age 39. (I'm now 60).

So some good and some bad. Niggles, usually of the calves, are the bane of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

quick feet wrote: »
    Distance|Current PB|Target|Result
    Marathon| 3:14:55|3:08:00| n.a|
    Half|1:29:50|1:28:00| 1.26.20|
    10 Miles|68:13|66:30|66.00|
    10k|40:20|39:30|39.39|
    5 Miles|31:50|31:30|n.a|
    5K|19:07|18:45|18.21|

Managed to hit the pbs fairly early on in the year,
    Trim 10, bohermeen, fighting cocks 10k
    In excess of 2700 miles, up from 2000
    Moving in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

ariana` wrote: »
    First and foremost all the usual goals apply of staying injury free, running consistently with structure, enjoying the training, racing and social side of things etc.

I missed 8 days running at the end of February due to a niggle but otherwise i achieved the goal of staying injury free. I ran consistently all year - nothing crazy, no streaks, but my mileage increased from 1550m to 1900m roughly and was mostly well structured following plans with some coaching thrown in. And the less said about races and the social side of things the better, we all know that panned out :rolleyes:

That out of the way main goal is to nail a 10k. I'm not sure I can quantify that, maybe low 47, maybe even low 48 will do, just to cross the line satisfied I did my training justice and ran well. A bit wishy washy perhaps :-)

I got an official 10k PB in a race in early March just before lockdown however it was only a handful of seconds and felt far from nailing it. In the last quarter of the year Garmin kindly offered me a 10k PB on a tempo run which I declined, it can wait until an official opportunity presents itself but the improvement is there :)

Other goals are a bit at odds with each other perhaps but a sub 4 marathon (current 4:26) and sub 22 5k (current 22:42) will both be on the agenda over the next 1-2 years.

Neither of these happened.

I didn't give 5k any attention whatsoever and I don't plan to this year either. I did the Boards 5k TT in a time of 22:4x with no specific training or taper etc.

Having signed up for Amsterdam Marathon I did about 8 weeks of marathon training before I parked it in the absence of a race and went on to working at the 10m-HM distance for the last quarter of the year. I'm confident that will stand to me (more than a marathon TT would have) in 2021 should races become a thing again :)

Best of luck to everyone with their 2020 goals.

Who knew what 2020 would bring eh but serious kudos to those who did achieve their goals however big or small :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Who knew what 2020 would bring eh but serious kudos to those who did achieve their goals however big or small :)

Coached now E? Or was it a brief phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Coached now E? Or was it a brief phase?
    Hi P, I'm sticking with it for another while. I like that I don't have to think too much or look too far ahead. And being accountable to someone stops me making excuses. The last time I was as content with running was when I followed the DCM novice plan here in 2017. I didn't question or doubt the plan back then, I just followed it & accountability to J, A, C and the other novices kept me on track. In hindsight I've been plagued with doubts ever since, never fully trusting any generic plan and lacking trust in my own ability to execute a generic plan. Not that questioning a plan is a bad thing, it's good to be critical of a plan especially a one size fits all plan as we're not all one size but I have an inclination to drive myself mad with over-analysis. In hindsight I was spoilt with the Novice mentor group as a first attempt at structured running - it was fabulous to have a group of experts and other novices to bounce off, I really missed that in the aftermath and despite some undeniable gains made my attempts at following generic plans since then have fallen short, certainly in terms of enjoyment and uncomplicated running they've fallen short. Oooops that was a bit of a long winded way of answering a simple question, sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Hi P, I'm sticking with it for another while. I like that I don't have to think too much or look too far ahead. And being accountable to someone stops me making excuses. The last time I was as content with running was when I followed the DCM novice plan here in 2017. I didn't question or doubt the plan back then, I just followed it & accountability to J, A, C and the other novices kept me on track. In hindsight I've been plagued with doubts ever since, never fully trusting any generic plan and lacking trust in my own ability to execute a generic plan. Not that questioning a plan is a bad thing, it's good to be critical of a plan especially a one size fits all plan as we're not all one size but I have an inclination to drive myself mad with over-analysis. In hindsight I was spoilt with the Novice mentor group as a first attempt at structured running - it was fabulous to have a group of experts and other novices to bounce off, I really missed that in the aftermath and despite some undeniable gains made my attempts at following generic plans since then have fallen short, certainly in terms of enjoyment and uncomplicated running they've fallen short. Oooops that was a bit of a long winded way of answering a simple question, sorry :D

Not atall! I completely get you and really glad to hear it. I've been nudging you in that direction for a while. Haha.

Now the mystery is......... Who.... Lol
    No need to answer that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Goals for 201- 2020:
    I want to concentrate more on speed this year and reduce my 5k and 10k times.
    • 5k : 29:xx. I've been chasing sub 30 mins 5kms for the past few years. I know i'm just hovering around the marker give or take a couple of seconds. I want to get properly under 30 mins and make it a regular thing. I think I will feel more like a "real" runner if I see 2x:xx!!
    • 10k: 1:01:xx. I'd love to be able to break the hour for a 10k. But I feel I haven't got a proper stab at 10k's the past few years, they've been run as part of half marathon training. I think my pb is 1:02:55 so if I could take a minute or 2 off it I'll be creeping ever closer
    • Half: 2:19:xx. I'm not really planning on doing a half this year. I've heard a rumour of a half locally later in the year so if that's going ahead I'll do that. I was surprised at my new pb in 2019 of 2:21 so if I do another one this year I'd be hoping to skim in under 2:20 as it's so close.
    • Other: other than those I would like to see how my running improves with the local group I've joined. I would like to try and volunteer less at parkrun and parkrun tourist a bit in 2020.

Was half afraid to look at my goals for 2020 but I'm actually pleasantly surprised.

During lockdown 1.0 due to working from home, all activities cancelled and good weather I had time to do more structured training and it helped bring down my times.
    I ran a 5km (Irish Runner 5km virtual) in 29:30. This was along the cycleway though. I remember feeling so strong on it. But my 5km pb was in a time trial in May at 29:23. It's a pity I had no real races to put my faster 5km into practice. I finally got a parkrun sub 30 in Feb.
    10km - 1:02:05 in July at one of the few races I did this year. Happy with it but felt I had run quicker. Had run 10k early March with someone, wasn't watching the time at all, busy chatting and did 1:02:47!
    Half - didn't really do any halves this year apart from in long runs.
    Other - I did get more parkruns done while we had them, glad to have run the Leap Year 29th Feb run. Was run director the last Sat before lockdown - it was a bit nerve wrecking with the threat of Covid rising. Had a number of parkrun tourist locations lined up but didn't get to do any.
    Other other - I did manage to get a 1 mile pb 8:30 in time trial, 5 mile pb 47:51 at Raheny and a 10 mile pb 1:42:16 on a unplanned run with a friend, again busy chatting not looking at the watch!
    Oh yeah and I ran a marathon!! While it was great that I was getting quicker I was a bit fed up that I wasn't really being able to put it into practice. I was feeling strong and decided to give marathon training a go on the Q-T, it was really just to see if I could actually run a marathon before I get a stupid notion to sign up for one at some stage. Turns out I can run a marathon, slowly though!!

Advertisement