Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Verstappen at Red Bull till end of '23.

He must think they can deliver a championship.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/935345/1/verstappen-signs-red-bull-f1-contract-extension

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

elperello wrote: »

He must think they can deliver a chamionship.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/935345/1/verstappen-signs-red-bull-f1-contract-extension

Depends on the get out clauses. He might just have no better options in the next couple of years.

Depends on the get out clauses. He might just have no better options in the next couple of years.

Yes I'm sure he has get out clauses.
    He won't want to hang around for four seasons without at least being in there with a chance.

Yes I'm sure he has get out clauses.
    He won't want to hang around for four seasons without at least being in there with a chance.

And unless he gets a better opportunity he might be stuck at Red bull. He's left with a similar situation to Dan Ric. Ric knew he probably wasn't getting a drive with merc and if red bull win a championship they'll be backing Max from the start. So DR banked on Renault as being HIS best chance of winning a championship.

Max is in a slightly better position as he is RB no.1 driver. But if RB Honda can't produce a winning car, then he's bunched unless Mercedes calls or the rule changes shake up the team order.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He must think they can deliver a championship.

Red Bull and Verstappen must know something we don't. I would say he is hopping they can deliver in the next 2 to 3 years.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    There's no where else for him to go really is there?

Not unless one of the other top teams calls.

But Vettel is at risk from next year and bottas is always at risk of being replaced and Hamilton could move team or retire so who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

pjohnson wrote: »
    Whats the fantasy? Is it that Kimi may decide fúck it and miss say the last two races leading to a woeful replacement taking his seat? Hes definitely not ever done that before and had Kovalainen driving for Lotus.

Your post was a great example of the fetish some have re. KUBICA IS THE WORST EVER.

Maybe from now on everyone should spoiler tag
    Kubica
    so as not to set off or upset anyone?

Kimi walked from Lotus for a very good reason.
    he didn't just say "fcuk it" and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Yes, he wasn't getting paid so walked, just like anyone else would do in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So with Leclerc signed up, and Max committing to RB, I can see Lewis sticking with Merc.

Maybe we will see Ricciardo at Ferrari if Seb heads off, maybe to McLaren (some rumours of that). Next few years could see a few surprising seat changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Gintonious wrote: »
    Maybe we will see Ricciardo at Ferrari if Seb heads off

Would he want to go somewhere where he would be a clear number 2 to the golden boy Charles?

Easier to be a big fish in a smaller Renault pond, that is if he's better than Ocon this year, I don't see a situation where he ends up in a championship winning position (unless Renault work some magic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ricciardo always joined Renault with 2021 in mind so no point in jumping ship just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wehrlein has renewed his Ferrari Simulator Contract.

Ricciardo always joined Renault with 2021 in mind so no point in jumping ship just yet.

A lot would depend on 2020, if Renault are just as mediocre next year, he might well have second thoughts.

And if the Ferrari was in a good position for him to fight for wins, why wouldn't he?

A lot would depend on 2020, if Renault are just as mediocre next year, he might well have second thoughts.

And if the Ferrari was in a good position for him to fight for wins, why wouldn't he?
    And If there is no seat available in Ferrari?

Personally I think Dani was above average with red bull, but that was with the overtaking ability of that car.

I don't feel he is top tier.

vectra wrote: »
    And If there is no seat available in Ferrari?

Personally I think Dani was above average with red bull, but that was with the overtaking ability of that car.

I don't feel he is top tier.

If no seat then no drive, but signs are pointing to Vettel leaving Ferrari.

As for Ricciardo being above average: 7 wins at RB, beat Vettel (4 time world champion) in the same car in his first season. Only 30 years old and plenty of talent left to gain. Could argue he outperformed the car at a few races last year, Italy being one of them with a 4th place and also beat Hulkenberg.

Never heard of a car having "overtaking ability", pretty sure it was his right foot that did that, here is a video to remind you of his overtakes :D

Top tier driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Would he want to go somewhere where he would be a clear number 2 to the golden boy Charles?

Easier to be a big fish in a smaller Renault pond, that is if he's better than Ocon this year, I don't see a situation where he ends up in a championship winning position (unless Renault work some magic)

You mean like Charles was a clear number 2 this year? Ferrari like winners but no one is more important than the team. If Danny Ricciardo went in winning, he would become number one whether Charles liked it or not.

Ms

I think that Danial Ricciardo would be great at Ferrari and it would be good for him, ferrari and the fans.

I think Danial is an above average driver. He is I would say a better driver than Vettel (4 time World Champion) as he beat Vettel in his first year against him in the same car and he has the potential to be as good as Hamilton. Maybe not win as many WDCs but if he got the right car maybe get a couple of WDCs.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I know it's just sentimentalism but I'd just love to see an Italian in the red car.
    Even if he is an Aussi Italian the tifosi would love it and I hope it happens.

If no seat then no drive, but signs are pointing to Vettel leaving Ferrari.

As for Ricciardo being above average: 7 wins at RB, beat Vettel (4 time world champion) in the same car in his first season. Only 30 years old and plenty of talent left to gain. Could argue he outperformed the car at a few races last year, Italy being one of them with a 4th place and also beat Hulkenberg.

Never heard of a car having "overtaking ability", pretty sure it was his right foot that did that, here is a video to remind you of his overtakes :D

Top tier driving.

Rosberg beat Hamilton in the same car.
    Does that make him better than Halimton?

As for the overtaking ability of a car?
    using a bit of cop on would tell you what I meant.
    That Red bull was a fantastic car in the braking zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

No, because Hamilton beat him in 3 out of 4 years, and when Rosberg did beat him it was by a very narrow margin (with both fewer wins and podiums than Hamilton).

Ricciardo beat Vettel in his first year with Red Bull, taking 3 wins to Vettel's 0.

So the available data overwhelmingly shows that Ricciardo had superior performance to Vettel for their time in equal machinery, while Hamilton overall was superior to Rosberg. I'm really not sure why you needed to ask that question when the answer is so obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Because he would be in the same position as he was with Red Bull and he ran away from that

No, because Hamilton beat him in 3 out of 4 years, and when Rosberg did beat him it was by a very narrow margin (with both fewer wins and podiums than Hamilton).

Ricciardo beat Vettel in his first year with Red Bull, taking 3 wins to Vettel's 0.

So the available data overwhelmingly shows that Ricciardo had superior performance to Vettel for their time in equal machinery, while Hamilton overall was superior to Rosberg. I'm really not sure why you needed to ask that question when the answer is so obvious.

Wasn't that the year Red Bull dropped the blown diffuser that Vettel worked to perfection in the previous years?

Don't get me wrong, I am not a full blown Vettel fan, but I do think Daniel is overrated.
    I would have Vettel in a suitable car over Daniel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's hard to be called a Number 2 though if you drive like a Number 1. If he went to Ferrari and just aced it, qualifying ahead of Charles, beating him in races etc (I know you've team orders to contend with but Ferrari quickly tend to favor the stronger driver, look at Seb/Charles this year alone), and just minding his own business, he'd shake off that Number 2 monocle before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Inviere wrote: »
    It's hard to be called a Number 2 though if you drive like a Number 1. If he went to Ferrari and just aced it, qualifying ahead of Charles, beating him in races etc (I know you've team orders to contend with but Ferrari quickly tend to favor the stronger driver, look at Seb/Charles this year alone), and just minding his own business, he'd shake off that Number 2 monocle before long.
    That's all well and good if you can consistently beat the established driver, but when it's a situation where the drivers are extremely closely matched then things get more complicated, like with Ricciardo and Verstappen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

That's all well and good if you can consistently beat the established driver, but when it's a situation where the drivers are extremely closely matched then things get more complicated, like with Ricciardo and Verstappen.

Obviously yes, but then you might argue whoever comes out on top has earned the number 1 status. If Daniel went to Ferrari and was outclassed by Charles, I'd have no issue accepting he'd be the #2 there. If he went and was competitive though, and beat Charles, then he'd earn the #1 badge. The thing is team orders can be an obstacle in that regard, he'd have to really outshine Charles and very quickly do it too, as Ferrari have clearly shown their hand with regard who their priority is.

As for the overtaking ability of a car?
    using a bit of cop on would tell you what I meant.
    That Red bull was a fantastic car in the braking zones.

In the year that Rosberg beat Hamilton, yes he was better, that's why he won the championship.

RB was stable yes, but it doesn't break itself, and if you bothered to watch the video you'd see that it was more to do with driver ability and skill. The RB was still only the 3rd best car that year as well, so please, try again. :P

Wasn't that the year Red Bull dropped the blown diffuser that Vettel worked to perfection in the previous years?

Don't get me wrong, I am not a full blown Vettel fan, but I do think Daniel is overrated.
    I would have Vettel in a suitable car over Daniel.

What??? in 2014 there were no blown diffusers, the cars all had one exhaust that was mandated in the rules. It was a level playing field, yes RB had the blown diffuser, but to suggest that Ricciardo only got the better of Vettel because of the diffuser being gone is laughable.

What??? in 2014 there were no blown diffusers, the cars all had one exhaust that was mandated in the rules. It was a level playing field, yes RB had the blown diffuser, but to suggest that Ricciardo only got the better of Vettel because of the diffuser being gone is laughable.

Oh Jesus.
    Are you trying for an argument or something?
    Read my post again and you will see It said 2014 was when Red Bull dropped the blown diffuser. Not that they dropped it during the year.

Oh Jesus.
    Read my post again and you will see It said 2014 was when Red Bull dropped the blown diffuser. Not that they dropped it during the year.

What are you on about?

In 2014 the rules for the sport were changed so that no team at all could run a blown diffuser, RB never dropped anything, they never had it in 2014 at all, just like all the other teams.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Oh Jesus.

Red Bull did not drop the diffuser it was banned during 2013 under rules by the FIA

What are you on about?

In 2014 the rules for the sport were changed so that no team at all could run a blown diffuser, RB never dropped anything, they never had it in 2014 at all, just like all the other teams.

I think thats what he means and was trying to say.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement