Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Gintonious wrote: »
    Am I the only one that read this contract as a sign of Hamilton not being on the Ferrari radar anymore?

Vettel is done for in 2020 at Maranello surely, would you not think that Hamilton would replace him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Am I the only one that read this contract as a sign of Hamilton not being on the Ferrari radar anymore?

No - tells me Lewis and Max are staying put in the short term

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I was about to ask "who in their right mind would want Leclerc & Lewis as teammates", but this is Ferrari we're talking about.

That said, Gio is probably going to be his #2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I think Ferrari world be a little dim to have Gio as one of their drivers. Yes, he's Italian, but he does not have the skills to even be a decent no. 2. He's not really performing at Alfa Romeo to the level this expect.

I'd be looking to the likes of Luca Ghiotto if they really want an Italian driver but he has some ties to Williams (because of the Norfolk based Uni-virtuosi team he drives for).

If anything, it's a little early for Mick Schumacher to step up - anything could happen next year with him that could have an impact on decisions for 2021.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,100 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astrofluff wrote: »
    I think Ferrari world be a little dim to have Gio as one of their drivers. Yes, he's Italian, but he does not have the skills to even be a decent no. 2. He's not really performing at Alfa Romeo to the level this expect.

I'd be looking to the likes of Luca Ghiotto if they really want an Italian driver but he has some ties to Williams (because of the Norfolk based Uni-virtuosi team he drives for).

If anything, it's a little early for Mick Schumacher to step up - anything could happen next year with him that could have an impact on decisions for 2021.

Gio could keep the seat warm for a year while Mick, Armstrong/Schwartzman race for Alfa for a year in 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Vettel is done for in 2020 at Maranello surely, would you not think that Hamilton would replace him?

If Leclerc shows himself to be a solid No.1 driver, then maybe (but as someone has said, this is Ferrari) would just want an arse in the seat to not upset the status quo.

Ferrari have a raft of junior drivers, and in the past few years seem to be edging towards a Red Bull way of working with getting junior drivers into F1. They have Alfa to use now to get some new talent in.

Hamilton may well still want that Ferrari drive, but if Leclerc continues to improve like he did this year, might be a tall order for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

With so many seemingly promising drivers out there, i wonder if having just 2 good drivers with no preference will become a thing for the top teams soon

Or is it only contentious personalities like Hamilton that need to have a designated number 2 behind him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Or is it only contentious personalities like Hamilton that need to have a designated number 2 behind him

Team mates like world champion Alonso,Button,Rosberg and multiple winner Bottas

I don't think Lewis fears anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Infoanon wrote: »

At 6 world titles you’d imagine not, im just wondering if we’ll see less situations like at Mercedes now with a 1 & 2 driver, and no more team orders to let pass just the fastest wins

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Infoanon wrote: »

You would think he would welcome the competition. But he is at such a high level now campared to all the other drivers that it takes a lot out of them to be at the same level as him. We seen what it took on Rosberg. I myself would have loved to see how Rosberg would have done in 2017 in the new cars with the bigger tyres but I guess we will never know now. The new drivers like Max and Leclerc do with the right car migt manage it and they are pnly going to get better. Hamilton can not stay at the height he has been for ever it will take its toll on his body as he gets older.

Also I see Williams have sold a majority stake in there advanced engineering division. Thats hardly good.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-advanced-engineering-sale-emk-capital/4616416/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I had a look at the calendar, and the Bahrain GP is on the week after the Australian GP. Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hopefully Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull will be very close to each other this season. Would be great if Hamilton, Bottas, Leclerc, Vettel and Verstappen have a chance to win the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Hopefully Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull will be very close to each other this season. Would be great if Hamilton, Bottas, Leclerc, Vettel and Verstappen have a chance to win the championship.

Debatably four of those five did have a chance to win the 2019 title, but three of them fluffed it. Verstappen in a contending car would be 'box office' as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Inviere wrote: »
    Debatably four of those five did have a chance to win the 2019 title, but three of them fluffed it. Verstappen in a contending car would be 'box office' as they say.

2of them had a chance. Ferrari were miles off the pace in the first half with Bahrain as an exception. Red bull had absolutely no chance to challenge for the title. They were only competitive for a few races.

Even when ferrari had the upper hand in quali, merc almost always had the race pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

flazio wrote: »

And Kimi’s contract ends this year at the age of 41. I wonder have we seen the last of Kubica on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

And Kimi’s contract ends this year at the age of 41. I wonder have we seen the last of Kubica on the grid.

Surely Ferrari will have a youth driver in that seat?

Surely Ferrari will have a youth driver in that seat?

They only control one seat, that of Giovinazzi. Kimi’s seat is nothing to do with Ferrari.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think it's quite telling that on Alfa's instagram page, instead of announcing Kubica joining the team they announced the sponsor that he brings with him.

flazio wrote: »
    I think it's quite telling that on Alfa's instagram page, instead of announcing Kubica joining the team they announced the sponsor that he brings with him.

It’ll be that sponsor who pushes for their man to be in a race seat in 2021, in Poland Kubica is like a racing god to many. Plus he has good ties to the team, the only man to ever take a victory in any guise they’ve had.

It’ll be that sponsor who pushes for their man to be in a race seat in 2021, in Poland Kubica is like a racing god to many. Plus he has good ties to the team, the only man to ever take a victory in any guise they’ve had.

No doubt his sponsors will push but there's absolutely no chance that anyone will take him for a race seat next year. They

Alfa a is getting all it needs from the deal. The money his sponsor brings is enough to be a co-title sponsor AND hes safe and sound, out of the race car. No doubt they'll give him a couple of FP1 and testing days and keep the speculation going. But the only real test would come if they need to use a reserve driver in a race weekend because one of their drivers is injured or suspended or whatever. The sponsor will probably expect RK to step in but Alfa will just bank on that not being needed.

OSI wrote: »
    Oh great, another ****ing year of every second message on F1 sites being from Píotr “team sabotage Robert to save driver from country. Robert best driver in world and only man pleasure your mother.”

Dont worry there will be plenty to point out hes the WORST DRIVER EVER in F1 history. Like the last two comments :pac: . Even a fùcking reserve role triggers people. How often did we see Ericsson last year in the Alfa or Kvyat driving a Ferrari?

pjohnson wrote: »
    How often did we see Ericsson last year in the Alfa or Kvyat driving a Ferrari?

Almost never happens so Alfa will be safe enough. Plenty of teams have pay drivers so it's nothing to be ashamed of. And they almost certainly won’t have to use him in a race so it’s grand.

I don't mind seeing Kubica drive another car. Yes, there are pay drivers and they'll always have to perform on their contact. But Alfa have Kimi as one of their drivers, someone that possibly couldn't be arsed at some stage of the year, and viola, Kubica gets a drive!!

I don't mind seeing Kubica drive another car. Yes, there are pay drivers and they'll always have to perform on their contact. But Alfa have Kimi as one of their drivers, someone that possibly couldn't be arsed at some stage of the year, and viola, Kubica gets a drive!!

A good example of the fantasy that surrounds Kubica.

Ah, would you relax. I said I didn't mind, not that I would love to see it. Anything can happen in Formula 1, highly unlikely, just keep it in mind.

A good example of the fantasy that surrounds Kubica.

Whats the fantasy? Is it that Kimi may decide fúck it and miss say the last two races leading to a woeful replacement taking his seat? Hes definitely not ever done that before and had Kovalainen driving for Lotus.

Your post was a great example of the fetish some have re. KUBICA IS THE WORST EVER.

Maybe from now on everyone should spoiler tag
    Kubica
    so as not to set off or upset anyone?

• Advertisement

Ah, would you relax. I said I didn't mind, not that I would love to see it. Anything can happen in Formula 1, highly unlikely, just keep it in mind.

I'll file under things that will never happen. Alfa have the money and that's all they want from him. I fully expect them to fuel speculation that he could get a drive at some point because it suits the sponsors and I expect it to never happen in reality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement