Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Premiership Rugby 2019-20

• 11-11-2019 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

I thought it would be good to start another thread on this for the new season.

With London Irish back in the division and Saracens being deducted points it will be an interesting season especially with a few big Irish names involved.

The games are broadcast live on BT with an hourly highlights programme on Monday nights on C5 HD.

Bristol under Pat Lam have started well and are top of the table.

There are 12 teams -
    Bath
    Bristol
    Exeter
    Gloucester
    Harlequins
    Leicester
    London Irish
    Northampton
    Sale
    Saracens
    Worcester
    Wasps

This is a wiki link to the players moving in and out of the various clubs
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2019%E2%80%9320_Premiership_Rugby_transfers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

All Premiership highlights uploaded on Monday morning on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rumblings on Twitter about Saracens and the salary cap this season.

https://twitter.com/alastaireykyn/status/1199001897958617088?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

And from a different angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

More on Saracens. Premier Rugby wants to conduct a mid season audit.

https://twitter.com/owenslot/status/1199235192017358848?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The Times reporting Saracens are being audited mid-season to make sure they're salary cap compliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tasty

You'd feel for the players except for the fact that they've been complicit in all of this. So you'd feel for the players who weren't getting the leg ups. Except they must have known about it. So you'd feel for Ethel the tea lady. I think.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You'd feel for the players except for the fact that they've been complicit in all of this. So you'd feel for the players who weren't getting the leg ups. Except they must have known about it. So you'd feel for Ethel the tea lady. I think.

Do you know what all your colleagues earn? I don't.

And even if they did know about it, in the real world, would you expect them to turn whistleblower? I don't think that's a reasonable expectation.

If there are players there who weren’t getting handouts that were effectively life changing amounts of money and also didn’t know about it, then that must be an incredibly toxic environment!

Oh I’d love to be at that Christmas party!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

A bit like the Melbourne Storm team of 10 years ago. With the salary cap they still managed to put a super team together. Of course they were found out, and stripped of 2 titles. Why not something similar happening to Saracens ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Shillphen J*nes had an epic meltdown on the Times podcast. Maybe Wray invested in him too.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,947 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

is there any truth in the rumour that the 5.4 million pound fine is to be shared equally among the other 11 premiership clubs?

enough to cover one marquee player each :D

Shillphen J*nes had an epic meltdown on the Times podcast. Maybe Wray invested in him too.

I'm listening to this now. Absolutely bizarre stuff. He sounds like he's going to start crying at the current point I'm at.

I'm listening to this now. Absolutely bizarre stuff. He sounds like he's going to start crying at the current point I'm at.

Link más é do thoil é?

Venjur wrote: »
    Link más é do thoil é?
    Think it might be this one.

Jesus - the bit where he is demanding to know Eliot Daly's new salary... Absolutely no impartiality from him, Nigel Wray himself wouldn't even be so passionate and blinkered in his defence of the club and Jones has the gall to refer to himself as an 'independent journalist'.

My true opinion of the man would have a bright red card appear at the bottom corner of this post but let's just say that a person who I didn't think could slink any lower in my estimation has just charged head first through the floor.

Dallaglio and Tindell working very hard to keep their patience.

Journalist needs to become a protected term. Jesus what an awful listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

"Exeter lost on the field of play, everyone who played would have been on the field if Nigel Wray had come in £3 million under the salary cap".

It's quite sad listening to it to be honest, he just kept barking "no" to every point was put to him.

Venjur wrote: »
    Jesus - the bit where he is demanding to know Eliot Daly's new salary... Absolutely no impartiality from him, Nigel Wray himself wouldn't even be so passionate and blinkered in his defence of the club and Jones has the gall to refer to himself as an 'independent journalist'.

My true opinion of the man would have a bright red card appear at the bottom corner of this post but let's just say that a person who I didn't think could slink any lower in my estimation has just charged head first through the floor.

Dallaglio and Tindell working very hard to keep their patience.

Journalist needs to become a protected term. Jesus what an awful listen.
    Logic out the window completely. Dallaglio saying he knows Daly's getting a bigger number at Sarries because he was told in negotiations and Jones wants to know how much and refuses to believe it when Dallaglio won't tell him. I mean it's so obvious that a player will tell his club that he's leaving because he got a better offer, that it shouldn't need explanation.

And it's not the money, it's the cuddly club atmosphere that's keeping them there. They can have 16 players at the RWC, but it's not the money. :rolleyes:

The funny thing about that podcast is that the professional journalist sounded like the most amateur of the three of them.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Logic out the window completely. Dallaglio saying he knows Daly's getting a bigger number at Sarries because he was told in negotiations and Jones wants to know how much and refuses to believe it when Dallaglio won't tell him. I mean it's so obvious that a player will tell his club that he's leaving because he got a better offer, that it shouldn't need explanation.

And it's not the money, it's the cuddly club atmosphere that's keeping them there. They can have 16 players at the RWC, but it's not the money. :rolleyes:

The funny thing about that podcast is that the professional journalist sounded like the most amateur of the three of them.

He'd make a great politician in fairness. He started off saying they didn't breach the salary cap and it was just an accounting error, to then saying they did breach the salary cap but it doesn't matter anyways because even if they were under the cap they'd still have all of their players because they're not there for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

SaRaCeNs PlAyErS ArE tHeRe BeCaUsE oF cUlTuRe.

NMQhEPccBcyUqfS-800x450-noPad.jpg?1523816521

• Advertisement

I would love it if Tgey get another fine for still being over. Just to see Jones crying.

God I hope they have to release players. The salary cap mode they’re using is quite simplistic, in American sports each payers salary is counted in real time and you can’t field teams over the cap at all. To be fair theirs is simplistic because they just haven’t invested enough to have the processes to do that, which I think is fair enough, but it’d have been great if they had.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,947 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

it warms the cockles of my heart to hear Stephen Jones whinge like a spoilt child who isnt allowed any sweets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

2smiggy wrote: »
    A bit like the Melbourne Storm team of 10 years ago. With the salary cap they still managed to put a super team together. Of course they were found out, and stripped of 2 titles. Why not something similar happening to Saracens ?

Presumably because the Premiership Rules - as agreed to by all 13 member clubs - don't allow for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Just listened to the Times podcast. Is it an act with Jones, or is he that delusional??!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

2smiggy wrote: »
    Just listened to the Times podcast. Is it an act with Jones, or is he that delusional??!?

i regret to inform you that it is not an act, and these are his sincere opinions.

Saracens putting out nearly a full strength team against Bath.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They were never going to do anything else. The question will be how strong their team is in Limerick next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Watching the Northampton Leicester game. The tigers have been terrible. They've been in a bad way for a couple of seasons now. Can't see Murphy lasting the full season incharge.

On the other side of it Northampton play some good rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I see Ian Madigan has a lot of competition at 10 for Bristol. He has yet to feature this season. Didn't realise the other 2 guys are Welsh but one of them could play for Ireland too.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/500000-year-international-forced-play-17361451

• Advertisement

I see Ian Madigan has a lot of competition at 10 for Bristol. He has yet to feature this season. Didn't realise the other 2 guys are Welsh but one of them could play for Ireland too.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/500000-year-international-forced-play-17361451

Sheedy's been the prospect for quite a bit now for Bristol, Mads was splitting game time with him from the start of I remember correctly. He played underage for Wales then pulled out of an U20 game against France last minute when he heard it would tie him to Wales, was called up into the England squad for the BaaBaas game earlier this year, looks to be the direction he's going to push on with.

Advertisement