Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2019-20 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,688 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

David Stern suffered a brain hemmorhage overnight. No word on his condition. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28287180/ex-nba-commissioner-david-stern-hospitalized-brain-hemorrhage

All sport commissioners do things people despise - not awarding a team to Seattle after the theft of the sonics by the OK goons is mine, but best of luck for a speedy recovery. He did grow the league to crazy heights, got it from being a widespread but fairly local league of the 60's and 70's to the marketing behemoth it is today. Players in the league from all over the world was another great change in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Just watching some highlights from last night. Why is Giannis not called for travelling on some of those dunks? There's one there and he makes 4 steps with the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Just watching some highlights from last night. Why is Giannis not called for travelling on some of those dunks? There's one there and he makes 4 steps with the ball.

Because travelling is apparently allowed in the NBA if you finish with a dunk. :rolleyes:

It's laughable and a major peeve of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,014 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LeBron’s spin and dunk yesterday quite something. Looking like his last truly great season where he can still do it all:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6HMifPJrGb/?igshid=j7w8t4ykmo9z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    LeBron’s spin and dunk yesterday quite something. Looking like his last truly great season where he can still do it all:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6HMifPJrGb/?igshid=j7w8t4ykmo9z

Was surprised it only made #5 in the plays of the night, was far more impressive than the through legs pass/Howard dunk which finished higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,357 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Porzingis is really starting to get it going for the Mavs. They took down the Bucks in Milwaukee tonight without Doncic.

The Knicks gave him up for cap space, the best player they'd drafted in 20 years, FOR CAP SPACE.

AND THEN THEY DIDN'T EVEN SIGN ANYONE.

Porzingis is really starting to get it going for the Mavs. They took down the Bucks in Milwaukee tonight without Doncic.

The Knicks gave him up for cap space, the best player they'd drafted in 20 years, FOR CAP SPACE.

AND THEN THEY DIDN'T EVEN SIGN ANYONE.

tbh he'd pretty much quit on the team, but otherwise agree. Phil Jackson was a dreadful team president, but hard to do well with crazy Jim Dolan running the show. Nothing changes till he's gone.

Lakers @ Bucks is the latest within a season since 1997 that two teams with less than 5 losses play each other. Hopefully Davis plays and we get a show.

Good early season marker for the bucks. Their bench significantly out scored the Laker’s bench and Giannis demonstrated that he can knock them down from deep if you sag off and give him the shot repeatedly. 36 and 10 rebounds from Davis and a triple double from LeBron. Enjoyable contest all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bot43

Raptors comeback last night was just brilliant. Lowry was absolutely sensational as was Chris Boucher.

bot43 wrote: »
    Raptors comeback last night was just brilliant. Lowry was absolutely sensational as was Chris Boucher.

More teams should try full-court press.
    It gets the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Been absolutely hectic at work past few months so haven’t watch too many games never mind gone to many.
    Going to Timberwolves tonight, then rockets and Dallas, be nice to get back into the swing of things even if it is pretty garbage...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Been crazy busy since the start of the season too so havnt had much time to sit down and watch many full games or check in on many podcasts or write ups, but...a few takeaways I've had from the NBA so far;

Kemba fits into the Celtics far better than Kyrie ever would have. As displayed throughout his career Kyries iso heavy plays slow his offences down to a halt whereas Kemba keeps the whole operation ticking over nicely. Special mention to ex euroleague player Marcus Theis who has been doing a solid job this year aswell. Celtics look primed again after a couple of disappointing years with Kyrie in the backcourt.

Something still not quite right with the 76ers chemistry. They have an insane starting 5 but it doesn't seem to click like it should. They should have everything needed to go close but I still don't buy into it 100%.

Doncic is incredible!

And all is right in the world again, beating the Rockets on Xmas day is pretty satisfying, been a rough season so far, onwards and upwards hopefully

Gregk961 wrote: »

Something still not quite right with the 76ers chemistry. They have an insane starting 5 but it doesn't seem to click like it should. They should have everything needed to go close but I still don't buy into it 100%.
    I'm starting to come around to the opinion that Ben Simmons seems to be missing that little something to drive him to be the best player.
    He's never going to be MVP-level since he won't take the shots that are needed to win.

The league will belong to Luka & Giannis in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Murmurings that Bulls are looking at Aaron Gordon with Markkanen possibly going the other way.

We're certainly stupid enough to do such a thing.

Ja Morant has shown incredible athleticism so far but his missed dunk over Love was jaw dropping, and he wasn’t far off making it. He tried more or less the same thing over Vucevic against Orlando a few weeks back so I can only assume he’s going to keep trying this. If you haven’t seen the attempt over Love yet, have a look for it.

Philly looked pretty good on Christmas Day in stopping Giannis and the Bucks, then looked awful against the Magic last night. No one will fancy playing them in the Play Offs though given their size.

Warriors going for 5 in a row tonight against the Mavs, iam skeptical but looking forward to watching Doncic play at least, such a talent.

Warriors going for 5 in a row tonight against the Mavs, iam skeptical but looking forward to watching Doncic play at least, such a talent.

How was that for you? He put up above stat line as usual.

• Advertisement

Was half-listening to The Ringer NBA podcast last night so apologies for the perhaps not 100% accurate teams on this but Kevin O’Connor and Chris Vernon threw out some crazy stats, amongst them:

One team (pretty sure they said the nets) has had just 15 post up plays in 30 games. It’s not that long ago that a post play was the building block or start of almost every offensive possession. The game has certainly changed.

Another (possibly Nets again, but may have been the Knicks) had just 8 points on 2point baskets in a game this past week. This is the lowest since 3 point line was introduced and in the shot clock era. Part of me asks wonders how this is even possible? Basically just 4 layups, dunks, put backs etc in 48minutes of play.

Another (possibly Nets again, but may have been the Knicks) had just 8 points on 2point baskets in a game this past week. This is the lowest since 3 point line was introduced and in the shot clock era. Part of me asks wonders how this is even possible? Basically just 4 layups, dunks, put backs etc in 48minutes of play.

It was Nets in the game versus the Knicks after Xmas. Fewest 2 point goals since *1950*. Nets shot something like under 30% for the game. They've got a few injuries they're dealing with.

Knicks are now 5-6 since the Fizdale firing. Maybe, just maybe, he wasn't a good coach (something like 21-83 over his last 2 years coaching including pre-Knicks)

How was that for you? He put up above stat line as usual.

Well fock me, I just watched the full GS Mavs game. What a first quarter of basketball.......worth a look if you haven't seen it. I assume it was great in the flesh?

I know this is going to come across as incredibly nerdy (in my defence I have said it before) but watching Luka's cross court passing is such a thing of beauty and such an under-appreciated skill with an incredibly high degree of difficulty. The fact he does it off the dribble and off either foot in either direction is next level. I would go so far as to say he's the best I've ever seen at it. To be fair, it's more a EuroLeague/European skill than seen in the US game, but still. The guy is so talented. And yet is still it seems under-rated and under-appreciated by some US commentators (relatively).

Have to hand it to Carlisle too, he (and his coaching team) have been playing some incredibly efficient offence. Wonder how much Haralabos is influencing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

OKC @ Toronto live on Sky Sports YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_raJA98Gkk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Anybody else watching the Sixers at the Rockets on Sky? Should be an interesting game.

Called into my brothers house and he's watching a bit of it with me. He has absolutely no interest in basketball hasn't watched a game in years but he asked me "Who is that guy taking terrible shots"...That's Russell Westbrook...

Well fock me, I just watched the full GS Mavs game. What a first quarter of basketball.......worth a look if you haven't seen it. I assume it was great in the flesh?

I know this is going to come across as incredibly nerdy (in my defence I have said it before) but watching Luka's cross court passing is such a thing of beauty and such an under-appreciated skill with an incredibly high degree of difficulty. The fact he does it off the dribble and off either foot in either direction is next level. I would go so far as to say he's the best I've ever seen at it. To be fair, it's more a EuroLeague/European skill than seen in the US game, but still. The guy is so talented. And yet is still it seems under-rated and under-appreciated by some US commentators (relatively).

Have to hand it to Carlisle too, he (and his coaching team) have been playing some incredibly efficient offence. Wonder how much Haralabos is influencing this?

Yea, that first quarter was bananas, great energy in the stadium, definitely the best first quarter I’ve ever seen at Chase Center....lol
    Doncic is such an amazing talent, makes it look so easy, blink and he has a triple double
    I think Porzingis is getting forgotten about a little, he is fantastic and still young
    If Dallas stay healthy and add a few players they will be legit contenders going forward

Going to Pistons game tomorrow, can’t give the tickets away, I’ll get to see an old favorite in Rose, I think Griffin is out though, I don’t even know what kind of season Drummond is having to be honest.

Just saw a clip of Thomas get ejected at the very start of the game, a bit ott from the ref in my opinion, suck it up buttercup, was incidental if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Golliver & Sharp have announced a new podcast. $5 per month, pity it's subscription but still willing to pay the price of a pint per month myself. Open floor hasn't been the same without Sharp.

• Advertisement

Reaching the half way point of the season for most teams. How do people feel it’s shaking up? Lakers look very good overall, superb length and Defense.
    Definitely could use another ball handler for when LeBron sits though.

Bucks have picked up where they left off and look like serious contenders yet again.

Clippers have looked great when their big two are on the floor, but that’s been less frequent than they would like.

Lots of depth in both conferences though, shaping up to be a very exciting tournament. Giannis out in front as MVP imo.

Advertisement