Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minor Tournament Discussion 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

zuutroy wrote: »
    Dale is good imo. Very honest , sometimes funny, and brings a decent bit of insight.

Some of them are good and some aren't. Ricky Walden is a bad one. But I don't tend to mind commentary. The F1 forum is full of posters who despise at least one of the commentators on both Sky and C4. I don't tend to mind as long as they're telling the story well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Same here with the exception of Joe Johnson. Drives me mad. Most of the BBC crowd are a bit tired at this stage. Dave Hendon, Foulds, and Hendry are my 3 favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Hendon, Foulds, Hendry and one or two others call it as it is. The less said about bbc the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

The less said about bbc the better.

Except their main table camera position of course :o The skewed sponsor-friendly angle that the other tournaments use is poxy

Inviere wrote: »
    Except their main table camera position of course :o The skewed sponsor-friendly angle that the other tournaments use is poxy

Ah yeah, just sometimes when there's a choice between bbc and eurosport, as during the worlds, i'll often go with the latter. I understand the appeal of the bbc and the tradition and all that, but i cant ever forgive them for colluding in the downgrading of the UK Championships and the total utter dirge they regularly try to pass off as analysis. Have the utmost respect for Steve Davis as a player, though i was a diehard Higgins man, but less than zero respect for his analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hmmm....I've watched hundreds of hours of snooker on Eurosport and ITV and never noticed. Obviously now I will because this flippin' thread will have drawn my attention to it, so thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Champions League is on this week, here's Selby, Hawkins, and the ref having a laugh when the rest falls apart...

A lot of Snooker coming up in November, but before that we have the Seniors UK Championship...

Quarter-Finals:

Jimmy White v Sean Lanigan/Rory McLeod
    John Parrott v Cliff Thorburn/Patrick Wallace
    Stephen Hendry v Dennis Taylor/Rodney Goggins
    James Wattana v Willie Thorne/Michael Judge

Third year of this event, Ken Doherty won it last year beating Igor Figueiredo 4-1 in the final, but Doherty is not taking part this year. Top prize is £10,000.

This two-day event will be shown live on Freesports this week, on Thursday (from 10am and 2:30pm) and Friday (10am/2:30pm/7pm).

Freesports: Freesat (252), SKY (429), and Virgin (553).

It's currently 2-1 to Jimmy White v Ireland's Michael Judge in the Seniors UK Championship final (best-of-7).

Trump beaten tonight by Ian Burns in European Championship qualifiers. Anyone can have an off day i suppose.

Not many other shocks, ken had a good scrap with selby before going down 4-5. And Ross Bulman also pushed Barry Hawkins to a decider which I'm sure will give him a bit of encouragement going forward. Fergal came through his match so some good news there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Fergal, assisted by a favourable draw, wins his second qualifier, thereby making it into the main draw for the competition.

Further progress in the competition will be tough, as he has been dealt an unfavourable draw, against John Higgins (I think).

After pushing Barry Hawkins close earlier in the week, Ross Bulman goes one better and beats him 5-2 in the german masters qualifiers. Thats a notable scalp for the 18 year old, hopefully lots more to come. Plays again tomorrow for a place in the last 32 tv stage in the new year. Fingers xed for the lad.

After pushing Barry Hawkins close earlier in the week, Ross Bulman goes one better and beats him 5-2 in the german masters qualifiers. Thats a notable scalp for the 18 year old, hopefully lots more to come. Plays again tomorrow for a place in the last 32 tv stage in the new year. Fingers xed for the lad.
    Ah brilliant. I had to Google him to find out he's from Cork. Delighted to have a prospect from the Republic. Wish him all the best and will keep an eye out for his name.

Good on ya lad!

Just looked up.his ranking and he's 5th in the order of merit in Q School. I don't know how that works exactly but I presume its good.

Anyone know how they get promoted from Q School to the pro tour?

https://www.worldsnooker.com/rankings/q-school-order-of-merit/

Ah brilliant. I had to Google him to find out he's from Cork. Delighted to have a prospect from the Republic. Wish him all the best and will keep an eye out for his name.

Good on ya lad!

Just looked up.his ranking and he's 5th in the order of merit in Q School. I don't know how that works exactly but I presume its good.

Anyone know how they get promoted from Q School to the pro tour?

https://www.worldsnooker.com/rankings/q-school-order-of-merit/

Theres 3 q school events and the 12 semi finalists get awarded tour cards. In addition the top ranked four players - based on frames won - also get cards. Ross was ranked 5 so missed out last year by one place - a single frame, in fact.

But this year that has meant he's No.1 alternate when it comes to tour events. So everytime ronnie has a no show, for example, Ross is the beneficiary. Last four tournaments has played Hawkins twice, Perry and Ronnie himself. Thats great experience and will stand him in good stead when he heads back to q school next year.

Now has two victories to his name this season - thats more than at least a dozen players on the main tour.

Plays David Grace tonight, tough experienced veteran but hopefully can get another result.

Theres 3 q school events and the 12 semi finalists get awarded tour cards. In addition the top ranked four players - based on frames won - also get cards. Ross was ranked 5 so missed out last year by one place - a single frame, in fact.

But this year that has meant he's No.1 alternate when it comes to tour events. So everytime ronnie has a no show, for example, Ross is the beneficiary. Last four tournaments has played Hawkins twice, Perry and Ronnie himself. Thats great experience and will stand him in good stead when he heads back to q school next year.

Now has two victories to his name this season - thats more than at least a dozen players on the main tour.

Plays David Grace tonight, tough experienced veteran but hopefully can get another result.

Great knowledge.

Just looked up grace and he’s currently ranked 96 so he probably isn’t on great form recently but lots of experience. Bulman will have a good chance. In any case he’s only 18 so lots of potential. Hope he has good management and guidance.

Great knowledge.

Just looked up grace and he’s currently ranked 96 so he probably isn’t on great form recently but lots of experience. Bulman will have a good chance. In any case he’s only 18 so lots of potential. Hope he has good management and guidance.

Not sure his plans right now but comes from an excellent club set up and has had great guidance from national coach pj nolan. Dont know does he need to move in order to push on ahead, but great that he's in a position to be facing these choices.

When i checked scores last night i saw Grace was still on the table and that was approaching midnight so hopefully didnt get the best of sleeps after!

Its all good for ross, no real pressure on him right now so can enjoy these experiences and learn from them. Getting his card will be the big test. Ability doesn't appear to be an issue anyway.

Not sure his plans right now but comes from an excellent club set up and has had great guidance from national coach pj nolan. Dont know does he need to move in order to push on ahead, but great that he's in a position to be facing these choices.

When i checked scores last night i saw Grace was still on the table and that was approaching midnight so hopefully didnt get the best of sleeps after!

Its all good for ross, no real pressure on him right now so can enjoy these experiences and learn from them. Getting his card will be the big test. Ability doesn't appear to be an issue anyway.

Another year in Q School with occasional call ups to the main tour will probably be a good mix of experience of being top ranked and bottom ranked.

Good to hear he's coming from a good club. I'm very excited about the future from an Irish perspective. I always support Mark Allen because he’s from our nearest neighbour but it would be good to have a top player from the republic.

Another year in Q School with occasional call ups to the main tour will probably be a good mix of experience of being top ranked and bottom ranked.

Good to hear he's coming from a good club. I'm very excited about the future from an Irish perspective. I always support Mark Allen because he’s from our nearest neighbour but it would be good to have a top player from the republic.

I thought Davy Morris had a chance of making it but its a tough old grind, especially going over and back with not much prize money on offer for the lower ranked. Its eat or get eaten.

Its great now to see a couple of good young hopefuls. Aaron Hill, another corkie, won European under 18 title this year so expect to hear a bit more about him. Theres a tour place for European under 21 winner so both would have an eye on that early next year.

But you're right to be cautious, its not easy. There'll be 200+ heading to q school with only 16 places on offer so you have to play well to progress. Pressure on lads there is immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Gibraltar Open starts Friday, continues until Sunday. Some amateur pre-qualifying rounds today with a few Irish names in there.

With the Chinese events dropped, it's a little more important than usual re seedings for Sheffield.

The audience has been limited to 100 for covid19 reasons.
    A few withdrawals for the same reasons, inc Robertson, Dott, Carter & Gilbert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Gibraltar_Open

Great to see Aaron Hill defending his u/18 European title in Portugal yesterday. Serious achievement from the lad.

Also in u/21 which is ongoing and for which a tour card awaits the winner. Asking a lot but cant be lacking for confidence anyway.

Live scoring and video available for anyone interested.

http://www.ebsa.tv/events/2020-european-snooker-championships/

• Advertisement

Gibraltar Open starts Friday, continues until Sunday. Some amateur pre-qualifying rounds today with a few Irish names in there.

With the Chinese events dropped, it's a little more important than usual re seedings for Sheffield.

The audience has been limited to 100 for covid19 reasons.
    A few withdrawals for the same reasons, inc Robertson, Dott, Carter & Gilbert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Gibraltar_Open

Bit surprised to see maguire pull out too as he's only 6k behind higgins for last tour championship spot and this is last qualifying event. Guess that's his own personal choice. Dott had chance to qualify too, albeit a bit more of a remote one.

Eurosport were planning on showing a handful hours of this live over the weekend, but with everything facing cancellation they might show more than expected.
    So worth checking the Eurosport stations over the next few days.

It just might be the last sport you ever see.

Ken really showed brecel up tactically in that last frame. The old craft can still carry you a fair way in the potfest that is the modern game.

Good news from european u/21s - Aaron Hill and Ross Bulman both through to last 16.

Bad news - they have to play each other next round!

This is good stuff from ken. No run of the ball at all today but he's got it to a decider. Really needs every pound he can scrape this week for the tour card.

Ken beaten unfortunately.
    Fergal 1-1 in his L64 game against Allan Taylor.
    With David Gilbert withdrawn from his section he has a reasonable path through to L16 if he can grasp it.

Another terrific performance from Aaron Hill, breezes into s/f. Really is a potting machine, proper talent. Two matches away from a main tour card now. Would be some achievement.

Fergal won 3 games today, taking advantage of a decent draw.
    Tougher from now on, with Kyren Wilson in the Last 16.

£4K earned, not sure whether that's useful or not for keeping his card.

Bizarre payout structure yet again, will only get an extra £1K for each win until he reaches the final, when it suddenly leaps to £50K and £20K for 1st and 2nd.

Hard to know whats going to happen as regards tour when there's a doubt the world championships actually go ahead. I'd say Fergal would love to get himself inside top 64 right now just in case but will need to get to sf to do so i think. Wilson can be hit and miss so hoping for the latter for fergals sake.

• Advertisement

Hard to know whats going to happen as regards tour when there's a doubt the world championships actually go ahead. I'd say Fergal would love to get himself inside top 64 right now just in case but will need to get to sf to do so i think. Wilson can be hit and miss so hoping for the latter for fergals sake.

As much as if like him to keep his card in principle, it would be absolutely no loss if he didn't.

Another player with potential could take it.

Advertisement