Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

• 16-10-2018 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

A new season so a new thread!

2 games to tip it off tonight. Sixers@Celtics at 1am followed by Thunder@Warriors at 3:30am. Both are live on Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,357 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Fultz getting the start tonight, not exactly going to be the most welcoming atmosphere to show everyone his new shot.

No chance I'm staying up for the second game with Westbrook out.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Fultz getting the start tonight, not exactly going to be the most welcoming atmosphere to show everyone his new shot.

No chance I'm staying up for the second game with Westbrook out.
    Im a Thunder fan but its hard to see us coming within 30 points of the warriors tonight.Celtics philly game will be decent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bot43

Trying to get tickets for the London game. Been offered a £380 option (which would work out at £413.08stg after additionals) and a £220 option (£253.06).

Screw that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

watched the Celtics game last night. Tatum, Morris, Horford and Baynes were good I thought. A good sign when the likes of Kyrie and Hayward can have quiet nights and the others can step up instead.

That being said the 76ers shot the ball horribly and the celtics were not a whole lot better !!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,350 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm delighted that the NBA is back on sky sports as I've not had bt sports for two years now. I'll be able to watch games on the catch up service now. Great move by the NBA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I'd question how its a good move by the NBA. BT did not want renew their contract and were clear from last season that they wouldn't be. The rumour for months was that Eleven Sports were the front runners, which would have been a crazy decision for the NBA to go with. Sky seemed to have only come in to the mix at the end and realistically the only option for the NBA for their games to be carried on a Satellite service into homes.

I'd actually be interested to see real numbers on Sky Sports v eir Sports subscriber numbers in Ireland, I know this is not something the NBA would be thinking of, they are mainly looking at the UK market. Sky have lost a lot of rights over the last few years and were hemorrhaging subscribers while eir (mainly thanks to BT) were consolidating and growing their share. Also have to look at the amount of eir Broadband and eir Mobile customers who get eir Sports as part of their package. As someone with eir Sports I won't be subscribing to Sky Sports for the NBA, can't justify the cost for the lack of rights they have, instead I'll just use the usual alternative means to watch online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Got to be honest, pretty disappointed with the coverage from Sky Sports last night, especially comparing it to BT's coverage. BT usually took the TNT feed so you'd get the Inside the NBA coverage along with the game. Sky just had to game and that was it. No analysis at half time or after the game, just a Finals Recap instead. Hopefully they'll just take the TNT/ESPN feed if it's available instead of throwing a random NBA programme on as filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

D2D wrote:
    Got to be honest, pretty disappointed with the coverage from Sky Sports last night, especially comparing it to BT's coverage. BT usually took the TNT feed so you'd get the Inside the NBA coverage along with the game. Sky just had to game and that was it. No analysis at half time or after the game, just a Finals Recap instead. Hopefully they'll just take the TNT/ESPN feed if it's available instead of throwing a random NBA programme on as filler.

Maybe in time they will. I had Sky Sports news on today & they were interviewing Bruce Bowen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah, the coverage was announced quite close to the start of the season so it's possible they still need to sort out that sort of stuff.

D2D wrote: »

Yeah the didn't have any audio from the studio, they even showed Reggie talking to Kenny but didn't have Kenny's audio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Does 11 Sports have the NBA also? I can see it on the banner on their website anyway.

Watched the Suns vs Mavs game to see how the rookies got on, they both look completely NBA-ready. Doncic got into early foul trouble and that kind of messed up his game but the Mavs were pretty bad all around, Ayton dominated the paint offensively and he can shoot too. Booker ran the show though, 35 with 7 assists, if the Suns can actually win a few more games this might be the year he gets an All Star call up.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Watched the Suns vs Mavs game to see how the rookies got on, they both look completely NBA-ready. Doncic got into early foul trouble and that kind of messed up his game but the Mavs were pretty bad all around, Ayton dominated the paint offensively and he can shoot too. Booker ran the show though, 35 with 7 assists, if the Suns can actually win a few more games this might be the year he gets an All Star call up.

I think it's a little early for Booker and the biggest problem for him is he's in the West. Too much talent in the conference. If he was in the East he'd likely be looking at All NBA.

I've watched a lot of his play and offensively he's incredibly talented. His ability to shoot off the dibble and in particular bank shots is unreal. He scores a lot of his points with shots that are up there in terms of degree of difficulty. These take a toll athletically as you're getting a lot of contact on most of these plays. If I were coaching them I'd be ramping the pace up and looking to get him a lot more easy buckets, but still leave that option open if the fast break isn't on.

Watched him a lot in the Team USA practices this summer too, the kid can play offence. He's a sieve on defence though.

Lol. Just looked at the Top 5 plays from last night, positions 5-2 included:
    1 game winner, and 3 big in-traffic dunks.

And the top play? LeBron uncontested fast break dunk on which - as is most often the case when he steals the balls - he travelled as he caught the ball. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Such LeBron fanboy fanaticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,014 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

And the top play? LeBron uncontested fast break dunk on which - as is most often the case when he steals the balls - he travelled as he caught the ball. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Keep on keeping on with the anti - fanboy fanaticism

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Keep on keeping on with the anti - fanboy fanaticism

I don't blame LeBron for that, he's not making those calls. But come on, that's ridiculous.

Watch the plays and tell me how that's #1?

Why is that every time I criticise anything related to LeBron you assume it's me hating HIM? I'm not in this case, it's nothing to do with him and I'm not criticising HIM, I'm criticising the NBA, and whoever put that top 5 together.

Stayed up for the game, had to see the Blazers' opener. 16 wins in a row vs LA now and Nik Stauskas of all people going off. When he signed I didn't think he'd be in the rotation, instead he puts up 24 in his first game, including a stretch where he had 16 of the Blazers last 18 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,688 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kawhi's hands are ridiculous.

I'm fascinated by Markelle Fultz, look at this moment from last night. Wide open in the corner, no defender making any effort to get out to him, the easiest 3pt situation imaginable... and he decides to run head on into 4 Bulls defenders.

giphy.gif

I'm fascinated by Markelle Fultz, look at this moment from last night. Wide open in the corner, no defender making any effort to get out to him, the easiest 3pt situation imaginable... and he decides to run head on into 4 Bulls defenders.

giphy.gif

In today’s league, you just HAVE to take that shot, even if you’re a crap shooter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Trying to ease myself back into NBA but was sucked right back in tonight. Utah brought their A game and some but Warriors just pipped it in the end with Jarebko of all people but savage game, more of the same please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Trying to ease myself back into NBA but was sucked right back in tonight. Utah brought their A game and some but Warriors just pipped it in the end with Jarebko of all people but savage game, more of the same please
    That 2nd quarter was just a joy to watch. Great pace to the game. Joe Ingles was very impressive. 7/11 three pointers. 10/15 FGs

Very under-rated and solid player.....great pick up for them.

killwill wrote: »
    That 2nd quarter was just a joy to watch. Great pace to the game. Joe Ingles was very impressive. 7/11 three pointers. 10/15 FGs

Do some deep diving on Ingles advanced stats and you’ll be shocked at what you see. Trust me!

Pelicans throw up 149 tonight after beating Houston comfortably the other night in a high scoring game too. They’re really pushing the ball this year, could be very interesting if they can sustain this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Pelicans throw up 149 tonight after beating Houston comfortably the other night in a high scoring game too. They’re really pushing the ball this year, could be very interesting if they can sustain this.

Mirotic with a career high 36 points as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well this got interesting out of nowhere!

Lakers 0-2, not entirely unpredictable given who they’ve played.

Luca with 26, starting to feel it. He needs to lose some of that puppy fat though....

Next night, Top 10 plays, Jerebko tip in game winner (remarkably similar to Olynk’s) is the #1 Play.

I’m NOT criticising LeBron - it’s whoever puts this stuff together’s fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

2 losses for the Lakers. I'm glad there's some NBA coverage on Sky Sports Mix this year. Last couple of years I could only keep up to date through Instagram.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement