Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something in my Garden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

blackbox wrote: »
    I have a section of lawn that go destroyed by being covered in soil when I got a garage put in. I finally relocated the last of the soil yesterday and hired a rotavator today and churned it all up.

I'll rake it and seed it tomorrow (if seed arrives).

Isn't it too early to seed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Spent the day mulching all the beds and built a zen garden well zen ish :)

Not sure about the granite, not sure how to edge it. Open to suggestions
    20210307-080210.jpg

20210306-171517.jpg
    Reminds me of a Japanese garden i once visited in Portland Oregon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Must admit to being a bit jealous of ye all. Today I did the same thing in the garden that I've done every other day for the last ten days or so - dug the same hole again, just another bit deeper! :D

Well, that and a bit of general housekeeping - moved half the turf sods recently removed from the new asparagus bed to a new home at the back of my rhubarb bed (and dug a few docks and tufts of grass out of that).

Also had another stand-and-look-at-it session in the (old) herb garden until all the pieces came together in my head. That side of things was successful: I know what I want to do, and it'll look great ... only now I've added building a very complicated planter to my To Do list.

But first I have to get to the bottom of that hole, and shift all the soil to its new location (oh, yeah and fix the trailer that I broke shifting the last lot ... :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 27,943 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Moved more rocks. All this is in order to create a potato patch, which is getting nearer. The rocks are all gone out of the original heap and are now scattered somewhat, looking daunting. Lovely soil remaining where they were. I did however realise that a job that I had tossed up buying decking planks for, or doing complicated stuff with paving has a solution. I have rocks (the smaller ones in the heap). I have sand. I have cement. I will build a low retaining wall that will double as a seat, chuck the old concrete bits and pieces that keep turning up in behind it, and level it off with flat stones (which I also have) or old slates (ditto). Great! But first, the potatoes.

looksee wrote: »
    I did however realise that a job that I had tossed up buying decking planks for, or doing complicated stuff with paving has a solution. I have rocks (the smaller ones in the heap). I have sand. I have cement. I will build a low retaining wall that will double as a seat, chuck the old concrete bits and pieces that keep turning up in behind it, and level it off with flat stones (which I also have) or old slates (ditto). Great!

Yeah - that flash of inspiration, when you realise that you can not only get rid of "rubbish" but also build something useful without having to find a load of new materials, is very satisfying. :)

My version of that, this week, came when I looked up instead of down: needing edging material for my asparagus bed and thought I could use roof tiles that are falling off a damaged barn. But finding enough tiles with a long-enough straight edge to be useful wasn't going to be easy, as they were falling off the roof, first onto a mezzanine floor, then through the mezzanine where a beam is starting to collapse and onto the ground. All of a sudden, I realised that the mezzanine is made from a type of flat brick with a rounded edge on the long side, and if I salvaged those, not only would I have a decorative edge, but I'd also be taking the weight off the remaining beams. Job done! I'll go back for some more in due course to edge the opposite end of the lawn.

• Advertisement

Great idea with the bricks, but no matter how tempting don't use roof slates (though maybe yours are actual tiles?). My mother edged a bed with slates then managed to trip and her knee came down on the sharp edge. Nasty bit of damage to knee. I have loads of slates but they are a very miscellaneous assortment of size and damage, can't bring myself to throw them out though!

I have some slates, but they're destined for more conventional arts-and-crafts projects. The rest are old (very old, as in up to 200-300 years old) terracotta tiles which are very fragile. When the time comes, I'll throw most of them into a cement mixer with a couple of quartz rocks and turn them into sand, but the less broken ones do make a nice edging where space is at a premium.

I've successfully used the cement mixer-with-added-rocks as a way to grind up broken glass. Every so often I come across a corner that a former owner obviously used as a midden, where there'll be old, broken wine bottles and medicine vials. Some of the vials are really beautiful, so I pick those out, but the rest is neither suitable for use or bottlebanking, but makes good grit when ground down!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just been out building a pallet compost bin

. Also spread loads of lovely chicken manure mixed with woodchip on a bed
    We used a deep litter method by putting 12 inches of woodchip in the run last summer which we've just replaced

It's broken down into a lovely compost over the past 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭blackbox

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Isn't it too early to seed?

I live near the sea (shouldn't be too frosty) and I'm a bit impatient!

The rest of the grass is growing, so I'll chance it as soon as I get seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GarySmith

I always wished to plant some plants and trees since my school days, and I did somehow but as living in rented homes it was only possible to grow in pots, but now I am very near to add big plants also by buying a house with some piece of land attached to it to grow some plant could become big trees sometime, I have some flowers and aloe vera plants in pots presently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

blackbox wrote: »
    I live near the sea (shouldn't be too frosty) and I'm a bit impatient!

The rest of the grass is growing, so I'll chance it as soon as I get seed.

Ha ok I have a patch I need to seed and I've it ready to go,so I'm itching to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭blackbox

I spread fertiliser on my lawn ( not the dug up bit!). Now that I have a robot to do the work I'm not worried about it growing fast.

I used a little spreader machine that I inherited with the house, but I have no idea how uneven I was. The fert is grey/black so I couldn't see where it was going.

We'll see in a couple of weeks, I guess.

Yeah - that flash of inspiration, when you realise that you can not only get rid of "rubbish" but also build something useful without having to find a load of new materials, is very satisfying. :)

My version of that, this week, came when I looked up instead of down: needing edging material for my asparagus bed and thought I could use roof tiles that are falling off a damaged barn. But finding enough tiles with a long-enough straight edge to be useful wasn't going to be easy, as they were falling off the roof, first onto a mezzanine floor, then through the mezzanine where a beam is starting to collapse and onto the ground. All of a sudden, I realised that the mezzanine is made from a type of flat brick with a rounded edge on the long side, and if I salvaged those, not only would I have a decorative edge, but I'd also be taking the weight off the remaining beams. Job done! I'll go back for some more in due course to edge the opposite end of the lawn.

Any chance of a few pics of the brick edge? I'm going to edge a large border with salvaged brick and wondering how it worked out for you. Did you put them in loose or use cement?

Any chance of a few pics of the brick edge? I'm going to edge a large border with salvaged brick and wondering how it worked out for you. Did you put them in loose or use cement?

I can (but not until the next hours of daylight!) Not sure it'll address your concerns, thought, as these aren't standard bricks at all. They're about 40cm long, 20cm high, 5cm deep and hollow inside.
    Because my soil is so clay-rich and will turn to concrete when it dries, I haven't used any extra cement or other "glue" to fix them. The tiles that I mentioned using on another bed are still standing upright after about ten years, despite being much abused by lawnmower wheels getting too close!

I can (but not until the next hours of daylight!) Not sure it'll address your concerns, thought, as these aren't standard bricks at all. They're about 40cm long, 20cm high, 5cm deep and hollow inside.
    Because my soil is so clay-rich and will turn to concrete when it dries, I haven't used any extra cement or other "glue" to fix them. The tiles that I mentioned using on another bed are still standing upright after about ten years, despite being much abused by lawnmower wheels getting too close!

That would be great. I have clay as well but am going to sit mine on flat to create a defined edge between the lawn and bed while, hopefully, retaining mulch. I have natural edges out the front but this area gets traffic with kids so will be low profile.

am going to sit mine on flat to create a defined edge between the lawn and bed while, hopefully, retaining mulch. I have natural edges out the front but this area gets traffic with kids so will be low profile.

Ah. Not really the same arrangement as mine then, which is this:

asparagus-edging.jpg

There's about half to two thirds of the height of the brick buried in the ground there. Although it's not easy to see in the photo, the height on the (asparagus) bed side of the edge is the same as on the grass side.

(The rounded top edge to these bricks is a kind of "tongue" that fits into a matching concave "groove" on the bottom. If the way they're used in my barns is typical, they're normally laid flat.)

Ah. Not really the same arrangement as mine then, which is this:

asparagus-edging.jpg

There's about half to two thirds of the height of the brick buried in the ground there. Although it's not easy to see in the photo, the height on the (asparagus) bed side of the edge is the same as on the grass side.

(The rounded top edge to these bricks is a kind of "tongue" that fits into a matching concave "groove" on the bottom. If the way they're used in my barns is typical, they're normally laid flat.)

That looks very nice. Yeah, mine will be a slightly different set up. I'll lay them flat and put them in a slight trench and cement them in place to create a border.

Those bricks are quite unusual, but their depth is ideal for what you've used them for. Nice job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

about to roll up the sleeves and move the soil delivery for the new beds. got a cubic metre, have only to shift it about 30m thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

about to roll up the sleeves and move the soil delivery for the new beds. got a cubic metre, have only to shift it about 30m thankfully.

I suppose you want a medal for that :)
    We shifted 10 tonnes of compost last week. Took 2 of us 2 days.

I suppose you want a medal for that :)

:pac: So glad it's not just me! Read that earlier and though "one cubic metre - that's so cute!" :D

I shifted twenty four trailer-loads of topsoil yesterday. Had hoped to do the remaining 30 today, but 80km/h winds and rain persuaded me to concentrate on a bit of indoor carpentry instead. The way things have gone all afternoon, though, I'm not entirely sure it was the right decision ... :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sorry, didn't realise it was a pissing contest!

sorry, didn't realise it was a pissing contest!

Ah, I'm a bit envious all the same - being able to start and finish a project within the same day, week or even month would be a nice change from these things drag on from one season to the next and on to the one after that ...

Ah, come on, CelticRambler, you wouldn't be doing it if you didn't enjoy it! You'd have an acre of monoculture grass and a ride on mower :)

Meanwhile in my garden today it rained, it hailed, it sleeted and it snowed - fat floaty flakes whirling down for about half an hour, but it didn't settle. Between whiles there were bright glimpses of sunshine, just long enough to put on a pair of boots before the sky darkened and it started again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Potted two large copper beech trees into new larger pots this is probably the last time I can do it as they are getting way to big to handle. Next time they go in ground or up for sale. Spent an hour digging up part of my driveway to plant 3 birch trees. 2 ft of hard-core before I found soil and that soil is rock solid.. they will basically be in pots in the ground not ideal ...if i ever finish that last two holes

FWIW, the soil i had delivered came from mulch.ie (dublin only); happy enough, but i think it needs more organic material than the 25% included, it'll be very free draining; possibly too free draining. maybe i'm just used to more clayey soil.
    wasn't cheap, but sieved to 5mm and was exactly what it said on the tin.
    i have plenty of organic material to mix through it, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Spent an hour digging up part of my driveway to plant 3 birch trees. 2 ft of hard-core before I found soil and that soil is rock solid.. they will basically be in pots in the ground not ideal ...if i ever finish that last two holes

Sounds very similar to our situation. The OH scraped back the topsoil to ‘level’ our site and left no topsoil...nothing but a sliver!:rolleyes: I planted 2 silver birches about 10 years ago but despite the blue clay that I could mine underfoot they seem happy and have grown. I did break the hole up well and mound planted them but they are definitely happy in their spots. One of my very few success stories :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dug out a Himalayan Honeysuckle that had gone very woody (it was at least 10 foot tall) and planted a flowering cherry.

I went looking for a mattock to get the honeysuckle roots out, 3 different garden centres no joy, so had to use a spade and brute force.

I went round garden centres, farm co-ops, hardwares shops for a couple of months before I found that Screwfix had them. Several places said 'a wha'?'

reminds me of the time i bought a splitting maul in woodies and brought it back to the office. the security guard gave me a raised eyebrow and no more, but i had the lift to myself (despite my protestations at the people who refused to get into it with me that i didn't have enough room to swing it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jaffa20

loyatemu wrote: »
    dug out a Himalayan Honeysuckle that had gone very woody (it was at least 10 foot tall) and planted a flowering cherry.

I went looking for a mattock to get the honeysuckle roots out, 3 different garden centres no joy, so had to use a spade and brute force.

How long did it take your himalayan honeysuckle to get to 10ft? I have one planted for 2 years now and still only about 4 foot. I can't wait for it to get to that height for some extra privacy.

Advertisement