Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Peckinpah's CROSS OF IRON was going FOR A SALE there earlier in xtravision. For, like, a FEW BOB.

I thought I MAY ADD THAT. On BLURAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Peckinpah's CROSS OF IRON was going FOR A SALE there earlier in xtravision. For, like, a FEW BOB.

I thought I MAY ADD THAT. On BLURAY.

Sir may I congratulate you on your posting style. You are a welcome addition to the film forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So the figures have been totted up in America, and apparently the number of bums on seats in cinemas is at its lowest in 20 years (though it depresses me to think that only works out as 1994. God I'm old!).

Have there been any equivalent figures released for the UK / Ireland, either backing up or contradicting the Americans figures, and either way: is this a sign that the geography of cinema really is changing? I suspect that the reality is more boring than one simple reason, but I wonder, if the trend continues, what 'cinema' might constitute in another 20 years...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There's figures here for the UK.... http://www.cinemauk.org.uk/facts-and-figures/admissions/monthly-uk-cinema-admissions-2006-2013/

They haven't put up December for 2014 yet but up to November it's slightly down on last year. It seems to go up and down a lot though over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Bad for cinema owners, but isn't the film industry in general world wide making more money than ever before?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have a read of this hilarious article, and bear in mind at all times that the website actually has the word 'cinema' in its title: http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Critics-10-Best-Movies-Decade-Perfectly-Explains-Why-People-Hate-Critics-69088.html

The best part is where he dismisses a film he hasn't even seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Have a read of this hilarious article, and bear in mind at all times that the website actually has the word 'cinema' in its title: http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Critics-10-Best-Movies-Decade-Perfectly-Explains-Why-People-Hate-Critics-69088.html

The best part is where he dismisses a film he hasn't even seen.
    ****ing hell. 10 absolutely brilliant films and the author resorts to the dreaded appeal to popularity and "I haven't seen it therefore....." fallacy.

Anybody else trying to watch a film a day as a new year's resolution?

I'm 11 for 11 so far, and I think that number will go up once JDIFF comes around again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh yes, Third Window just announced Kitano's Hana-Bi, Kikujiro and Dolls are coming to Blu-Ray: http://twitchfilm.com/2015/01/third-window-films-uk-announces-stellar-2015-slate-tsukamoto-nagashima-kitano-more-gallery.html

The former two are probably my favourite Kitano joints so I am excite! Remastered with the assistance of Gareth Evans of all people!

Some good new releases too, including World of Kanako (new film from Confessions / Memories of Matsuko director) and their co-funded Fuku-chan of Fukufuku Flats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Looking forward to seeing World of Kanako, as I loved Confessions and Kamikaze Girls. Still need to see Memories of Matsuko though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Every Frame a Painting has a new video up and it's a quick & interesting look at cleverer use of shapes to compose scenes of dialogue. It's interesting how it samples The Imitation Game as an example of boring, flat direction given how it was a complaint brought up quite a bit on this forum:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cocokinny

HI there, I am an American actress from Ny. I am looking to get head shots done asap so that I can start applying for agencies. Anyone know any photographers or good studios?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

cocokinny wrote: »
    HI there, I am an American actress from Ny. I am looking to get head shots done asap so that I can start applying for agencies. Anyone know any photographers or good studios?

In Ireland or New York? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cocokinny

Birneybau wrote: »
    In Ireland or New York? :confused:

I am living in Cork, City looking to get professional head shots done

cocokinny wrote: »
    I am living in Cork, City looking to get professional head shots done

Ah, ok. Probably get more answers here as the Film forum is more just for the discussion of film.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=232

At risk of turning this into the Every Frame a Painting thread, this is amazing:

e_e wrote: »
    At risk of turning this into the Every Frame a Painting thread, this is amazing:

Just after posting that on facebook and then coming here to share it too.

Teaser for Sion Sono's Shinjuku Swan. It looks bloody fantastic.

The only thing that beats a day when you see a trailer for a new Sion Sono Film is a day when you see two fucking trailers for two new Sion Sono films and today is one of those day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

These Every Frame a Painting videos are so beautifully edited.

Just started watching some of these. Thing about texting and that, particularly on TV, is that product placement plays a big role in lots of shows. I remember watching something once and some kids decided to order take away and there was a whole scene with them using an ipad to yelp the best pizza place in town then downloading an ap to order it. As if they didn't have Domino's number off by heart.

Anyway..... point being sometimes they're not looking to be smart with how they show texts or emails or whatever, sometimes they just want to show the device.

Not sure how often this happens in films though?

• Advertisement

Interesting article about Scientology's response to reviews of Alex Gibeny's new documentary about them: http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/church-of-scientology-representatives-now-bullying-film-critics-20150202

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Anybody else trying to watch a film a day as a new year's resolution?

I'm 11 for 11 so far, and I think that number will go up once JDIFF comes around again.

Not quite the same as that but last year i decided to jot down everything I watched and it came to 355 , i was a bit gutted i hadn't made it to one for every day after counting!

ManOnFire wrote: »
    Not quite the same as that but last year i decided to jot down everything I watched and it came to 355 , i was a bit gutted i hadn't made it to one for every day after counting!
    Should have done it on Letterboxd. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

ManOnFire wrote: »

I wouldn't worry - if you're anything like me you're well capable of watching two films at once while drunk and in charge of a chip pan (the user name is a giveaway).
    So we'll round you up to 400 and say job well done.

Cheater! :P

I'm a few days late to the party, but I presume everybody's seen this clip?

It's so fascinatingly, aggressively wrong I can't stop watching it.

I dunno, I didn't know the history of the Iliad, let alone its printing history. Am i stupid too? Damnit, lol. :) Seems like low hanging fruit to bash a Jennifer Lopez film over.

I did also have a look at the film trailer in question and find it amusing that an older woman in her 40s romancing a youngun is Scandal! whereas the reverse is just standard Hollywood casting policy :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno, I didn't know the history of the Iliad, let alone its printing history. Am i stupid too? Damnit, lol. :) Seems like low hanging fruit to bash a Jennifer Lopez film over.

I did also have a look at the film trailer in question and find it amusing that an older woman in her 40s romancing a youngun is Scandal! whereas the reverse is just standard Hollywood casting policy :D

Well, considering 'The Iliad' is reckoned to have been written in the 8th century B.C....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

So lads any reccomendations for a decent podcast on films? Thinking of something that talks about recent films, maybe talks about classics as well?

Advertisement