Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Was a little bit disappointed last night when the jets announced their two first round draft picks, they definitely went with luxury picks over other more obvious needs.

I think in terms of value Dee Milliner was a great pick at number 9, but by no means was this the jets biggest need (with a poor pass rush and a stagnent offense), also Milliner is going to be the number 2 cb with cro being the number 1 it really is a luxury pick,and as unfair as it this young man is going to have to live in the shadow of Revis which will be no easy task, although he does seem extremely confident. Finally Kyle Wilson also has to be feeling a bit crappy right now being a first round pick he surly thought it was his time with the departure of Revis, but this will allow him to drop back in to the slot where he probably plays better.
    That said, this is a great fit and Milliner's physicality and athleticism fits with what the Jets like to do with press coverage out on the edge.

When Sheldon Richardson's name was called as the Jets second pick i was absolutely gutted as they essentially traded revis for him and a 3rd round pick, in saying that i still think Ricardson is a great player and would have been my second best DT, he also has the type of athleticism and explosiveness that the Jets have said they are looking for.
    another luxury pick where they could have gone for a bigger need someone like Jarvis Jones, Bjoern Werner or Tyler Eifert at this spot.
    This pick could also see the Jets to more of a 4-3 look on defense.

One thing thats defenite after the first round is that Rex still has a major say in who gets drafted

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bubba gump

I don't agree with this point of view at all. Yes it is not ideal that Dee Milliner will be forever compared to Revis but when a player of that caliber falls to your lap you cannot pass it up.

With regard to Richardson, I can't say that I was too aware of him before draft (knew off him but just assumed Floyd and star were better) but what I have read this morning and going off other non jets fans reactions he has huge potential to be star (Patriot fans seem to be particularly pissed about the Richardson pick!). Him, coples, Mo and ellis would be a frighting front 4 and could generate some straight up pressue, ala the giants, without the need for exotic blitzes etc.

With regard to us trading Revis for Richardson and a third that is not correct. We traded Revis for $16m of cap space in future.

I really like how Idzik has began his tenure as GM. Everyone always praises franchises such as Green Bay, Baltimore and Pittsburgh with taking BPA and letting the draft come to them. That is what I believe the Jets did. Both these players fell into their laps and they gladly drafted them.

Of course both these players could bust for a number of reasons but I admire the philosophy of our new GM. Drafting for need often leads to reaches and Vernon Goldston type picks!

bubba gump wrote: »

With regard to Richardson, I can't say that I was too aware of him before draft (knew off him but just assumed Floyd and star were better) but what I have read this morning and going off other non jets fans reactions he has huge potential to be star (Patriot fans seem to be particularly pissed about the Richardson pick!). Him, coples, Mo and ellis would be a frighting front 4 and could generate some straight up pressue, ala the giants, without the need for exotic blitzes etc.

I think Ricardson is a better player than floyd, and he is more athletic than Star which is what the Jets seem to be looking for, and if that front 4 can all play at their full potential it would be excellent. But i still think there were players at that point in the draft that would of filled much bigger needs and would not have been a reach by any means

I really like how Idzik has began his tenure as GM. Everyone always praises franchises such as Green Bay, Baltimore and Pittsburgh with taking BPA and letting the draft come to them. That is what I believe the Jets did. Both these players fell into their laps and they gladly drafted them.

Yeah Idzik pretty much said this in an interview, apparently Milliner and Richardson where 2 of his top 4 players, the other two being Austin and Warmack.

phatkev wrote: »
    I think Ricardson is a better player than floyd, and he is more athletic than Star which is what the Jets seem to be looking for, and if that front 4 can all play at their full potential it would be excellent. But i still think there were players at that point in the draft that would of filled much bigger needs and would not have been a reach by any means

I get where your coming from but I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to Idzik and his belief that Rex or future HC can make better use out of Richardson that say a Jarvis Jones or that he will have a bigger effect on team overall than Eifert. Only time will tell I suppose.

Yeah Idzik pretty much said this in an interview, apparently Milliner and Richardson where 2 of his top 4 players, the other two being Austin and Warmack.

I like hearing this!

Who you looking at today? Safety, WR, QB, Guard?
    I hear good things about Cyprian and Wheaton in rd2?
    I would like Dysert in 4th, if he lasts. Possibly a Barret Jones in rd 3 if he falls due to injury concerns??

Fecked the quoting up.

if Cyprian falls to them in the second round, he would be a great pick i thought he would have went before Elam, if he's not around at that stage i wouldn't mind them taking Larry Warford because i dont think big Vlad is ever going to live up to expectations, and then addressing safety in the 3rd with someone like Philip Thomas.

On the other hand they could go for a playmaker like Keenan Allen or Quinton Patton.

As regards QB I hope they stay away from them in the second round and look to get tyler Wilson in the 3rd or Matt Scott in the 4th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭franglan

Why oh why Geno Smith, as a Jets fan I'm disappointing with that. Also Geno you're not going to the playoffs this year.

franglan wrote: »
    Why oh why Geno Smith, as a Jets fan I'm disappointing with that. Also Geno you're not going to the playoffs this year.

Same as i was hoping he would have being picked before the jets were on, but hopefully im proved wrong about him.

On the other hand i really like the brian winters pick and the Chris Ivory trade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Jets against Bills : Geno against EJ

Can't wait to see how Geno gets on. He will hopefully get the start straight away. He might have to take a few lumps as starter this year but he will give ye every chance going forward.

Adding Ivory for a 4th rounder is potentially great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭franglan

Agreed on the Ivory trade. I would have given Sanchez a final chance (he might still get it). Then look at the draft next year for your potential franchise QB. The jets are basically stuck with Sanchez so I don't understand the Smith draft. No weapons at TE or WR (excluding Holmes who potentially could come back to some form). Even if you draft someone like Zac Dysert who went in the 7th round or Matt Scott who wasn't even drafted. You have David Gerrard who was out of football for a year, Greg McElroy who is limited but is fine as a 3rd string/development QB and the other lad from Florida. There was genuine shock with the pick of Geno Smith and so there should have been when the jets have such a lack of talent in the receiving core.

Tim Tebow has been cut
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/29/jets-cut-tim-tebow/

Cant say i'm disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

phatkev wrote: »
    Tim Tebow has been cut
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/29/jets-cut-tim-tebow/

Cant say i'm disappointed

Fully expecting someone to pick him up off waivers, soon followed by the Jets trading for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Fully expecting someone to pick him up off waivers, soon followed by the Jets trading for him.

You d be crazy to pick him up, not worth the attention it will draw unless you decide he s your franchise QB and not one team in the league will view him like that imo .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Adam Schefter reports that he was allowed to seek a trade in the offseason and that quite a few teams were interested providing he would agree to play at TE. He said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Stev_o wrote: »
    You d be crazy to pick him up, not worth the attention it will draw unless you decide he s your franchise QB and not one team in the league will view him like that imo .
    I agree - the hype is a distraction - and no one is interested in the distraction when the end product from Tebow doesn't cut it. Rumours are that he has been offered a contract to play QB for Orlando in the Arena League.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No suprise really he just isn't good enough and the hype makes it seem the whole package is better than it really is.

nfl.com are saying that he could go play in the CFL but he struggled with eleven defenders and its twelve players in Canada on a bigger field.

Chris Ivory deal is a 3yr $6 million contract. Could be an utter bargain if he shows anything like he did with the Saints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Billy Cundiff to the Jets

Been with 11 teams in 9 years

Just two years ago he signed a 5 year 15 million dollar deal with Baltimore and was cut after one year.

Jets won't be paying near that, just a 1 year deal minimum salary which is around 840,000

So what happened the Norwegian kicker who became a youtube sensation :confused:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Billy Cundiff to the Jets

Been with 11 teams in 9 years

Just two years ago he signed a 5 year 15 million dollar deal with Baltimore and was cut after one year.

the front office usually bring in someone to complete with Folk so i assume who ever has the best camp will get the spot
    So what happened the Norwegian kicker who became a youtube sensation :confused:
    i think he signed with detroit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

kicking is not our problem. this off season battle between geno and mark is irrelevant as there is still no o line. you can put brady in there but without protection you may as well put in a high school kid

id say the o line is the least of the jets problems if you ask me, pretty solid in my opinion, Mangold and Ferguson are studs, Howard had a much better season than people give him credit for, Colon is an instant upgrade on Slauson at RG if he can keep fit, and then at LG we've got Winters who has lots of potential and even if he cant be a first year starter Peterman can fill in for this year which wouldnt be the end of the world. As far as positions I would be worried about on the team WR TE and Safety would stand out alot more than the offensive line

• Advertisement

Completely agree phatkev. WR, TE and Safety are worries but its training camp time so we can hope for some younger lads to step up (Hill, allen, Bush) and/or maybe some vets regain form (Kellen and Braylon). Probably unlikely but still... :D.

On a positive the D-line should be immense and our D should be very good (top 5/10) as a result. Line backers and CB's seem solid if not other worldly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Right tackle is still awful lets be honest.

Pass rush and Safety are massive concerns . Coples going to OLB is a big risk, He came out of college as a perfect 4-3 end and we draft him for 3-4 work. He cant get pressure on the interior so there seeing if he can do it.

I hope the god he can,

Safety, we just don't value them in the organisation, If we had the cap to spend Landry would have been kept but we didn't. His brothers has come over from the Jags, can he perform to a similar standard?

The receiving options. Holmes will we see him by week 6 ? Hill I still have high hopes but that depends on quarterback play as much as it depends on him. Many times last season he got open and Sanchez didnt read it quick enough, he threw the ball and it was picked.

Kerley became the possession receiver and I cant help but feel 56 receptions and 827 yards (Last season) is his ceiling.

I'm scared.....................

Right tackle is still awful lets be honest.

Pass rush and Safety are massive concerns . Coples going to OLB is a big risk, He came out of college as a perfect 4-3 end and we draft him for 3-4 work. He cant get pressure on the interior so there seeing if he can do it.

I hope the god he can,

Safety, we just don't value them in the organisation, If we had the cap to spend Landry would have been kept but we didn't. His brothers has come over from the Jags, can he perform to a similar standard?

The receiving options. Holmes will we see him by week 6 ? Hill I still have high hopes but that depends on quarterback play as much as it depends on him. Many times last season he got open and Sanchez didnt read it quick enough, he threw the ball and it was picked.

Kerley became the possession receiver and I cant help but feel 56 receptions and 827 yards (Last season) is his ceiling.

I'm scared.....................

Apologies, I don't know how to quote responses individually.

1. Awful? no. I believe Howard graded quite well as run blocker in PFF but Pass definetly needs work. Might be a solid starter. Lack of blocking TE is a worry but lets see how it plays out in preseason.

2. Coples is not going to OLB. That was lazy journalism by NY beat (again!!). Rex will use Coples all across line in many different fronts and will rarely if ever be asked to drop into coverage. I'm not too informed on defensive systems and schemes but there are some good articles on "turnonthejets.com" that explain his role well. Basically 3/4 and 4/3 are outdated concepts especially when it comes to Rex ryan D. Multiple fronts, multiple players. Big Mo, Coples, Sheldon, Ellis will be moved all over line.

3. Agree safety is a big issue on paper. Hopefully someone comes good in camp but definetly a weakness now.

4. Agree again, Hill need to step up, hopefully along with QB play (C'mon GENO!!)
    Disagree on Kerley. He had 56 receptions and 800 yards with Sanchez (A very bad Sanchez!) at QB. Holmes was out early in season and we had no other credible recieving threat. He was getting lots of defensive attention and terrible QB play but still put up respectible numbers. I am hoping for another big year from him especially if Hill develops and Holmes can return.

5. I'm very excited about this year for one reason, we are not worse than last year.
    No Revis or Homes, Sanchez was woeful, O-Line struggled at times, struggled to pressure QB, WR depth was awful, yet we still finished 6-10 and were in playoff contention in December.
    We may not be playoff calibur yet but even a slight improvement in any or some of the above areas should have us comfortably in 7-9/8-8 range.

Improvement in QB play (i.e. Geno) to even mid level starter (not 36th out of 32 starters!) would be massive. :)

1. Awful? no. I believe Howard graded quite well as run blocker in PFF but Pass definetly needs work. Might be a solid starter. Lack of blocking TE is a worry but lets see how it plays out in preseason.

Yep, Howard's improvement over the course of the season was impressive and while he did have some dodgy moments he showed improvement and development towards the end of the season, so i think he's worth stickin with
    2. Coples is not going to OLB. That was lazy journalism by NY beat (again!!). Rex will use Coples all across line in many different fronts and will rarely if ever be asked to drop into coverage. I'm not too informed on defensive systems and schemes but there are some good articles on "turnonthejets.com" that explain his role well. Basically 3/4 and 4/3 are outdated concepts especially when it comes to Rex ryan D. Multiple fronts, multiple players. Big Mo, Coples, Sheldon, Ellis will be moved all over line.

Agree with this 100% no way will Coples be playing OLB exclusively, he is going to have his hand in the dirt for a good few plays imo. the front 7 is going to be a scary prospect this year for opposing OCs

I dont know about Hill, for as many bad throws as Sanchez had, Hill still had his fair share of dropped passes that should have been caught. Hopefully we will see an improvement in his play this year and hopefully Holmes will come back to take some pressure off him, i think Edwards is well over the hill but he does seem to produce his best work in a Jets jersey

And ending on a good note Dee Milliner signed his contract today and is expected in Cortland today
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/28/jets-milliner-agree-to-terms/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Howdy lads just coming in to see do you think Antonio Garay makes the team this yr? (from a Charger fan who has a lot of respect for his efforts).

4. Agree again, Hill need to step up, hopefully along with QB play (C'mon GENO!!)
    Disagree on Kerley. He had 56 receptions and 800 yards with Sanchez (A very bad Sanchez!) at QB. Holmes was out early in season and we had no other credible recieving threat. He was getting lots of defensive attention and terrible QB play but still put up respectible numbers. I am hoping for another big year from him especially if Hill develops and Holmes can return.

(disclaimer: i am a Giants fan) I don't think ye are that badly off at WR. Hill was very raw last season and made some mental errors, one awful dropped pass in Foxborough springs to mind, but he is clearly very talented and rookie WR's tend to struggle more often than not.

Kerley is a very solid guy. Doesn't need to be a number 1 (that should be Hills role) but if can reproduce those numbers and other guys step up ye are laughing.

Think re-signing Braylon Edwards is a very smart move. He showed at the end of last year that he still has a bit left in the tank. Rex clearly likes him so his experience should come in useful.

Santonio is poison. If I were the Jets I'd cut him (tbf I would have cut him during last years off-season)

I'm a big Geno fan (still think he should have been a top 10 pick) so hope he beats out Sanchez n does enough to give Rex another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,023 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Santonio is poison. If I were the Jets I'd cut him (tbf I would have cut him during last years off-season)

Goes and gets the rock though. All I really care about tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong thread. I will be in NYC over weekend of 8th December and want to go see the Jets v Raiders, any advice on where to buy tickets appreciated?

I have done the usual google & checked websites just looking for some boardsie recommendations, if possible?

Cheers

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong thread. I will be in NYC over weekend of 8th December and want to go see the Jets v Raiders, any advice on where to buy tickets appreciated?

I have done the usual google & checked websites just looking for some boardsie recommendations, if possible?

Cheers

Have never gone to a Jets game but checked it out once or twice. Best bet is to go to StubHub or NFL ticket exchange and buy tickets off season ticket holders. You prob can buy them now for slightly over face value but could take a gamble and if jets are having another piss poor season pick up quite good seats for very little.

Another option is to wait until end August early Spetember when I think Jets release unsold season ticket seats for each game (could be alot this year!). Email the jets ticket office on their website and they might give you more info.

Bring very warm clothes to game (under armour, vests, jumpers, woolies.....etc!) as I've been told it can be freezing at those games! Get there early aswell as I believe tail-gating is great craic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Cheers

I was at the 49ers game last September. (First time I had seen the Jets score 0 and they were lucky to get that:))

Anyway I got my ticket below on ticketmaster the night before which surprised me given how early into the season that was.

If the season pans out like the one gone you shouldnt have much difficulty picking one up at the Port Authority.

ryqb.jpg

Advertisement