Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Oh stop,arent I confused enough :pac:

200px-Tour_Eiffel_Wikimedia_Commons.jpg

Please work......:o

EDIT....Yessssssssss

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

128905144700858968.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Looks like a friendly thread here and I'm fairly new to boards so tend to get lost in the many help sections :(

My problem is in embedding images in a post. I have tried the [ img ] [ /img ] tags in upper and lower case yet it very rarely works and mostly just appears as a link instead of a picture. Is there something wrong with particular images which stops them from appearing the correct way in a thread ? I read as much advice as I could find and it just seems that the result is random for me at least.

psychward wrote: »
    Looks like a friendly thread here and I'm fairly new to boards so tend to get lost in the many help sections :(

My problem is in embedding images in a post. I have tried the [ img ] [ /img ] tags in upper and lower case yet it very rarely works and mostly just appears as a link instead of a picture. Is there something wrong with particular images which stops them from appearing the correct way in a thread ? I read as much advice as I could find and it just seems that the result is random for me at least.

hello :)

when you click on the image icon and the pop up appears

make sure you delete the http:// at the begining of the box, then paste your url including the http:// for it.

ie the pop up puts in a http:// automatically and you dont need two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭looksee

psychward has spaces in the tags [ img ] instead of would that make a difference?

BBDBB wrote: »
    hello :)

when you click on the image icon and the pop up appears

make sure you delete the http:// at the begining of the box, then paste your url including the http:// for it.

ie the pop up puts in a http:// automatically and you dont need two

Thanks. The image button just appeared in the menu above. I never saw it before even though I had looked for it :/

Lets see if it works :)

27545_120935401262663_3214_n.jpg

woohoo it does :) ty

looksee wrote: »
    psychward has spaces in the tags [ img ] instead of would that make a difference?

I put the spaces in just for explaining it as I thought the letters would have been invisible if there had been no spaces. Sometimes that happens to me . Looks like I can post images now. Thanks for trying to help :)

I dont think After Hours has the images icon in its chat section only in the sub forum at the top of its menu

I dont think After Hours has the images icon in its chat section only in the sub forum at the top of its menu

maybe that accounts for not being able to find buttons when I was looking. I was using manually typed IMG tags instead but they weren't working so well for me but other posters seemed to make it work. However all the other tags I was using manually worked just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

this evening the font size on my screen is HUGE - the google toolbar at the top is in normal font but say if i look at boards or my email or other internet pages the font is huge so the page doesnt fit on the screen - HELP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Ramette - change your view options

Internet explorer - got to menu at top - Page -text size

* I'm just guessing your using internet explorer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Ramette wrote: »
    this evening the font size on my screen is HUGE - the google toolbar at the top is in normal font but say if i look at boards or my email or other internet pages the font is huge so the page doesnt fit on the screen - HELP!
    Hold down the Ctrl key (down on the bottom left of your Keyboard) and then press the - key (Minus key, Up the Top right of your Keyboard) if you make it to small, you can make it bigger by pressing the + key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Hal E - THANK YOU! that worked.. wow never knew that i was in display control panel and view and reducing every feckin thing but now i have my screen back :)

if you were here i would give you a big KISS xx:)

Golden Virginia thanks for the suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

super_funny_cute%20images_a7c91cf7cf762ba2a1c417367a283b12.jpg

Sorry, just practicing .
    Didn't know one could post an image direct from google without first putting it in photobucket or whatever until I seen this thread.
    Thanks folks and good thread.

Edit..for HE :)

^^^You could have at least put up a funny pic...

ALpLJ.jpg

K3DrM.jpg

qZrgr.jpg

L6F5X.jpg

R94la.png

:D
    vbulletinALpLJ.jpgvbulletin[I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Ok so, I figured out how to multi-quote vaious threads thanks to this thread...now could someone tell me how I 'multi-quote' from the same post? Some posters have a tendancy to pick every sentence I write, and comment on it...how do I get them back, so to speak:p

Fittle wrote: »
    Ok so, I figured out how to multi-quote vaious threads thanks to this thread...now could someone tell me how I 'multi-quote' from the same post? Some posters have a tendancy to pick every sentence I write, and comment on it...how do I get them back, so to speak:p

When I quote you this is at the start of the quote QUOTE=Fittle;75840215 - it will be in these brackets [] but to show you this I had to take it out of them or it won't look right.

This is at the end of your /QUOTE also in brackets [] but same as above to display right.

Now if you want to break a quote up into pieces you need to put in extra QUOTE=Fittle;75840215 and /QUOTE at the start of each line of text you want to quote.

You can just copy and paste it to the front and end of each line you want to quote.

Use the "Preview Post" button when your're trying it out, you can keep fiddiling with it and keep previewing it till you get.

now could someone tell me how I 'multi-quote' from the same post?

This is from the middle of your post with QUOTE=Fittle;75840215 at the beginning and /QUOTE at the end.....inside the brackets []

I think that's fairly clear but shout back if it's not....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

What Hal is saying is that you enclose the text you what to show in Quote tags so that it looks like this:

[noparse]
    you enclose the text you what to show in Quote tags
    [/noparse]

The tags are almost always in the form of open the tag, close the tag.
    [noparse][img][/img]
    [font][/font]
    [/noparse]

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    What Hal is saying is that you enclose the text you what to show in Quote tags so that it looks like this:

[noparse] [/noparse]

The tags are almost always in the form of open the tag, close the tag.
    [noparse][img][/img]

[font][/font]
    [/noparse]

Oh who's a clever old goat then! I was going to ask you how you did that but when I replied with 'quote' I saw the noparse thing...

In the mean time I was trying to put up a you tube link and it did not work. I will try again here so ignore me if I make a hames of it again.

• Advertisement

http://youtu.be/pyj2qL-bQ4E

ok see if this works - I'm on a '60s fest tonight!

ok, I clicked on Youtube link then inserted http://youtu.be/pyj2qL-bQ4E so what went wrong?

I am trying to get the actual pic to embed not just the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

i left a post for you on the other forum but..
    (1) click youtube button
    (2) copy only the end of the code in your you tube address bar*** the numbers and letters code listed after the = sign

so it is

this particular video was more complicated because it had another = code after the first = code.
    Just use the first code after the first = pyj2qL-bQ4E
    Dont use the bit after the second = &feature=youtu.be

* often there isnt a second =

OldGoat wrote: »

[noparse] [/noparse]

[HTML]The tags are almost always in the form of open the tag, close the tag.[/HTML]
    [noparse][img][/img]

[font][/font]
    [/noparse]

Just trying..pay no heed.

What is that???? lol

Ok so, I figured out how to multi-quote vaious threads thanks to this thread...
    now could someone tell me how
    I 'multi-quote' from the same post? Some posters have a tendancy to pick every sentence
    I write, and comment on it
    ...how do I get them back, so to speak:p

LIke this?

Ok, so that didn't work above!!!

I wrote
    before and after each few words I wanted to multi-quote..still got it wrong though!!

I've seen some threads where people reply pretty quickly to a previous thread, quoting and commenting on every second sentence - do they actually use those keys [] etc, or is there a quicker way that they multi-quote each sentence???

Maybe I should just reconsider trying to multi-quote from one post!!

I agree Fittle :)
    We'll just go back to pen and paper ;)

If you do the
    thing before the first sentence that you want to quote then copy it (quick way - ctrl c) and paste it (ctrl v) at the end of the sentence then pop in the forward slash /. The first
    will stay in your memory so you can just paste it every time you need it, and put in the / manually.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok here's the text as it looks in the editor:

[noparse]
    This is a quote...
    [/noparse]

And here it is as it will look in the thread.
    This is a quote...

So, anything wrapped in those quote things (and dont forget that the ending one has a / at the start), shows as a quote.

This works for lots of things like, images, youtubes etc.
    There is a full list of them here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/misc.php?do=bbcode
    (cue a rash of people writing upside down and back to front :p)

DeV.

ps: For the advanced users struggling to help here, there is a very nifty tag called [noparse] [/noparse] which will stop Boards from parsing the code and displaying it rendered, and instead spits it out as raw text. Neat huh!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Now if you want to embed quotes you simply put them inside each other, so:
    [noparse]
    this is the first quoted line
    this is the reply
    [/noparse]

produces this:
    this is the first quoted line
    this is the reply

Note that the first set of tags completely envelops the second. The second quote is completely embedded in the first.

You can wrap quote tags around something quickly by selecting the text and then pressing this button: quote.gif (its across the top of the editor).

Hope thats clear!

DeV.

• Advertisement

Some forums have image embedding turned off so that the usual clowns can post goatse or tubgirl to shock unsuspecting readers. Do NOT google those images unless you want to lose your lunch, horrendous doesnt begin to describe them.

Hence it is altered to a link on some forums. Here, we allow direct embedding because we presume you all know better :)

DeV.

Advertisement