Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book recommendations thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Reading that now, after years of promising i would. Really enjoying it.

I had to skip the chapter on Algeria, to brutal and dark, other than that great book

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

In the middle of “The Blair Years” the diaries by Alistair Campbell.

Very interesting read. Great insight into all the different characters involved with New Labour (or at least how Campbell perceived them)
    Highly recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Anyone know of an Irish political almanac, like something that is published after every election and gives details of TDs , senators, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

Two very good introductory books I've read recently.

"Twentieth Century Ireland"
    by Dermot Keogh gives a good overview of political and social events in the last century.

"Politics in the Republic of Ireland" edited by John Coakley and Michael Gallagher but with chapters written by many other authors gives an excellent overview of the workings of the Irish political system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

RATM wrote: »
    Anyone know of an Irish political almanac, like something that is published after every election and gives details of TDs , senators, etc?

This and this might be useful? Don't know of any publications though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

RATM wrote: »

Irish Political Studies has what you seek, all for €99 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

We've long had a policy of removing all petitions, calls to action, surveys, announcements of political meetings and new parties, etc etc, on the basis that they're not really appropriate to a discussion forum because they don't really generate discussion.

However, as per the "in the news" thread, it seems more reasonable to give such posts a permanent home, since they may well be of interest to posters.

So, if you are posting such things, this is now where you should post for them. If you're interested in them, this is where you should look, because this is where the mods will be sweeping them when people inevitably fail to do it themselves.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I believe now is the time for people to act

This country needs to be taken in a new direction by people who care about this country and not their own careers

A new party must be formed. The strong and willing must be taken from each facet of life to bring this country out of the hole it is in

Fianna Fail as a party are finished, however there are some good people there and if given the chance could help bring the country through

Likewise with FG, Labour and the Greens

We need to dump these career politcians like Cowan, Harney, Gilmore, Kenny, Burton etc.... who's only aim is to get as far as they can for personal gain. They are not interested in the country only their own careers

We need people who will straight talk tell us exactly how it is and what they will do to fix it not avoid the question. People would have a lot more respect for someone who will stand up and tell the truth. We are all sick of FF denying it was their fault or FG and Labour not saying what they will do so that they will get in next time

NOW IS THE TIME TO ACT.

Who is with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

kilns wrote: »
    We need to dump these career politcians like Cowan, Harney, Gilmore, Kenny, Burton etc.... who's only aim is to get as far as they can for personal gain. They are not interested in the country only their own careers

and replace them with ? ............................ career politicians

the system is broken a new party will make no difference (greens pd's anyone) the only solution i can think of is limit td's to 3 terms

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Meh, these threads appear every few weeks so I'm fairly sceptical by this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Who is with me!
    Do you have a link the new party's website, or a list of its policies, or names of the people who are currently signed up, anything... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Everybody seems to have this notion that a new party would solve everything, but unless you got a party very different from the ilk in government now, or involved in Irish politics, there is no hope. A new party could be just as bad as the ones we have in office now, and unless it was set up with some really smart, charismatic and straight-forward polticians. Then I don't think it would be a good idea.

The whole system need an overhaul

We need experts running for specified positions, we cant have teachers in charge of investment or lawyers in charge of our economy

We need people with proven pedigree in positions of power

We also need to create a federal type government and give more power to local authorities. Need to stop the likes of Jackie healy Rae holding the country to ransom cause he wants the potholes on a local road in Kerry filled in!

There are so many people in business or the academic world who would be involved but poltics is such a closed shop, how hard is it to come through the ranks of the main parties unless you have been there for years and years or a "celebrity" or worse still the son, daughter, brother or sister of a politcian!!

We need real people making real decisions now and who arent scared of the establishment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

The whole system need an overhaul

We need experts running for specified positions, we cant have teachers in charge of investment or lawyers in charge of our economy

We need people with proven pedigree in positions of power

We also need to create a federal type government and give more power to local authorities. Need to stop the likes of Jackie healy Rae holding the country to ransom cause he wants the potholes on a local road in Kerry filled in!

There are so many people in business or the academic world who would be involved but poltics is such a closed shop, how hard is it to come through the ranks of the main parties unless you have been there for years and years or a "celebrity" or worse still the son, daughter, brother or sister of a politcian!!

We need real people making real new ideasdecisions now and who arent scared of the establishment

fingleton for minister for finance then

there are too many councils there should be 4 max

i'm not so convinced about experts running for office because what happens when they are in opposition (lee springs to mind)

the gov is in opposition to draft them in but seem to rely on the public servants who bring no new ideas

I would hardly call Lee an expert. He is just a journo. People with proven track records not people with big egos and after a quick buck

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

If I know the candidate's father I am more likely to vote for that candidate. So if you're starting up a new party, make sure the candidates are all from political families. OK? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

New Partys means nothing if people continue to vote for the same kind of politicial structure that we have. .

A change in the politicial culture and the way in which people vote would create true change/reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

/Deja vu mode ON

We need people who will straight talk tell us exactly how it is and what they will do to fix it not avoid the question. People would have a lot more respect for someone who will stand up and tell the truth.

Let's get a catchy name for this new party - Progressive Democrats?

/Deja vu mode OFF

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Politics is a popularity contest, after which we expect the winners to make unpopular decisions.

Logic fail. Democracy fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 2nd Republic

For the past few months, in press and online, there have been numerous discussions about poor national governance and the failings of our political system as underlying causes of the current crisis facing our state. Some of those have argued the need for wide-ranging political reforms in order to address these issues and to make sure they do not happen again. Some have gone so far as to suggest that a new beginning in the form of a Second Republic is required.

The incredible events of the last few days, I think, have opened everyone's eyes to the absolute depths to which our state has sank. In response, I am extending a invitation for interested parties and persons to form a sustained, serious and credible campaign for wide-ranging political reforms in Ireland. That campaign is nascent, not predefined and starting from scratch. It is not related to any political party or movement. Its ultimate direction will be defined by its members.

If you are interested in participating, would like to find out more, or have comment to make, please visit www.2nd-republic.ie and sign up for the mailing list.

More information can be got by sending an email to info@2nd-republic.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭tomasocarthaigh

Anyone in the midlands may be interested in the Peoples Alliance grouping (formerly the Joe Soap / Peoples Protest group).

Non party political, the group is marching regular in the home town of Brian Cowen, and we have had memebers at demos in Dublin, Maynooth and other events.

www.PeoplesAlliance.webs.com is our website - see the Facebook page as well.

We welcome members from all opinions in life, FG to SF to disgruntled Fianna Fail supporters.

As always, Ive a little poem on the topic of the time, this time a Cheese Skit...

[mod edit: leave the hilarious poems out of it please, this is a Politics forum, not a convenient zone for pimping your youtube output]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Marcus de Brun

To all the disaffected.

My name is Marcus De Brun,

I am a GP in North Dublin

Founder of Health Reform Now, www.healthreform-now.com member of Fis Nua (a new federated political party) and independent candidate for Dublin North in the coming election.

I would appeal to all those disaffected, angered and frustrated at our present corupt establishment.. to join us an make change a reality.

Marcus

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Fianna Downfall

Hi,
    We are Fianna Downfall.

We a short a simple manifesto with 3 aims:
    1. Obliteration of the Fianna Fail Party
    2. Encourage everyone to get out and vote
    3. Political reform and the end of parish politics.

We have a facebook page here

We also have a twitter:
    @fiannadownfall

Please give us a 'like' on facebook.

We will be updating our facebook with information.

Please tell your friends about us whatever way you can or PM me if you want more information.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

To all the disaffected.

My name is Marcus De Brun,

I am a GP in North Dublin

Founder of Health Reform Now, www.healthreform-now.com member of Fis Nua (a new federated political party) and independent candidate for Dublin North in the coming election.

I would appeal to all those disaffected, angered and frustrated at our present corupt establishment.. to join us an make change a reality.

Marcus

http://www.healthreform-now.com/PoliticalStrategy.htm
    "4. 90% Tax applicable to salaries above €250k with the respective taxpayer having the opportunity to decide where their tax is spent .. choosing from a list of registered social institutions including Childrens Hospital, Hospice etc. Respective tax payers will also have the opportunity to sit on the board of management for their chosen institution. Pension reform with 90% tax on pension payments above €100k per annum."

Sorry... what? Srsly?
    12. Reduction of the working week to four days.?

I'm not even going to continue... You totally had me on your intro page, but I feel like I made a very serious mistake trying to investigate further. You've just got a whole lot of random, occasionally insane and regularly inconsistent suggestions, which casts doubt over all the realistic and seemingly intelligent stuff I was looking at initially.
    15 Implementation of a switch from English to Irish language as the language of Dail Eireann within five years.

Go away.

Instead of crying and "srsly" etc etc

why dont you offer something constructive... you aparently feel that a family actually might need more than 250k per anum to live a good life?? This would seem to be a core Fianna failure policy... ?

Although it is difficult to see where your criticisms actually are ... you seem afraid to say anything substantive other than "go away" which is what a child says when one offers it some medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Instead of crying and "srsly" etc etc

why dont you offer something constructive... you aparently feel that a family actually might need more than 250k per anum to live a good life?? This would seem to be a core Fianna failure policy... ?

Although it is difficult to see where your criticisms actually are ... you seem afraid to say anything substantive other than "go away" which is what a child says when one offers it some medicine.

Attack the post, not the poster. Calling someone a child, even indirectly, is not allowed in this forum.

• Advertisement

Sincere apologies

I suggest that censorship rules be applied immediately and the apparently highly offensive, indirect referential use of the world 'child' be dealt with in a swift and just fashion... else other readers might be simillarly offended and a contagion begin... one that might have implications for the instigation of a national or even international depression... which itself might further depress the markets.

Advertisement