Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New to Anime & Manga? Just looking for some recommendations? Search no further!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Ive just finished watching welcome to the nhk and i loved it!! Anyone know other anime titles that deal with otaku culture in a funnish way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

hello932 wrote: »
    Ive just finished watching welcome to the nhk and i loved it!! Anyone know other anime titles that deal with otaku culture in a funnish way?

Genshiken would be right up your alley. It's good, but not as good as NHK. There's Otaku No Video as well but I haven't seen that one.

Im in the middle of watching claymore-what other stuff is like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Im in the middle of watching claymore-what other stuff is like this?
    Nothing.

Berserk is kinda similar at first glance but is really very different at its core.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

There's Otaku No Video as well but I haven't seen that one.

Otaku No Video is good and fun. I have been meaning to watch it again.:P

• Advertisement

Nothing.

Berserk is kinda similar at first glance but is really very different at its core.

I dont suppose a second series of claymore will be made will it?

I dont suppose a second series of claymore will be made will it?
    Highly doubtful.

The manga it was based on is still going on, but the storyline in the anime around the War in the North was changed so significantly from what happened in the manga that they can't continue from there.

A new anime would have to either retell the War in the North or start over from episode one.

You should probably check out Berserk anyway, it's apparently great. Do they do similar things to the original story to end it in one season.

Ok so will check beserk...

just finished watching high school of the dead-ending was bit crap-i was hoping they would barricade themselves in the mansion and have a giant last fight like they do in most zombie type situations. Speaking of which are there other zombie type anime i should know about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

Does anyone else think that the ending in death note was a bit lame?
    -it would have been nice to see Light as the leader of a somewhat oppressive but morally right world order.
    A bit disappointing to be honest.

nudist wrote: »
    -it would have been nice to see Light as the leader of a somewhat oppressive but morally right world order.
    A bit disappointing to be honest.
    I didn't like the anime ending at all.

The manga ending is better, but it's not radically different.
    Light dies as a pathetic wretch screaming in a puddle while all the detectives look on in disgust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

nudist, please use spoiler tags in future for this sort of thing - some of us haven't gotten to the end yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

Hotaru wrote: »
    nudist, please use spoiler tags in future for this sort of thing - some of us haven't gotten to the end yet.

Sorry i didnt know how to do this-what button do i have to press that makes text covered in grey?

While on the topic-what other series are in the same genre as death note?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sorry i didnt know how to do this-what button do i have to press that makes text covered in grey?

When making a post use the full reply not the quick reply one at the bottom, or click on the Go Advanced at the bottom of the thread. The icon is on the top on the far right and says spoiler with white letters in a black background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

While on the topic-what other series are in the same genre as death note?

Check out Code Geass, it's like Death Note with occasional giant robot action

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Funky wrote: »
    Check out Code Geass, it's like Death Note with occasional giant robot action

And pizza instead of apples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Paul P Byrne

Picked up the first two parts of battle royale and part one of lady snowblood yesterday, really good stuff will definitely get more along this line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Picked up the first two parts of battle royale and part one of lady snowblood yesterday, really good stuff will definitely get more along this line.

The manga? It's really quite good, they seem to expand each character a lot more then the novel. Watch out for the Bruce Lee rip off :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Shybookwormy

Those were some nice suggestions however, if I were to write a list I would include Yu-gi-oh (the original series only. GX and 5d's are just rubbish) and Shaman King...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Never saw the end. Gave up on it somewhere around the 20th episode.

Loved the 1st season because it was like an anime of infernal affairs but
    the business men having the deathnote
    just got abit silly for me. If I had to suggest a thriller anime or manga, it would be MONSTER or 20th century boys. the latter only has a manga but its all finshed up now so you wont have to wait and the anime of MONSTER is stellar.

If I had to watch one of these, which would people advise?

1. Umineko no Naku Koro ni

OR

2. Code Geass

Choices, choices, choices!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭CDH

OR

2. Code Geass

I haven't seen the other one, but I would recommend Code Geass. Its pretty over the top but it also gets quite intense at times. :)

OR

2. Code Geass

First season of Code Geass is fantastic. Highly recommended. Second season is a bit rubbish but people liked it.

I've no idea what the other show you're asking about is. Does it have an English name?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ach. Code Geass is better.

Art looks good, but it's based on a visual novel. Usually a black mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Burkie.EXE

Umineko is without a doubt the best thing I've ever read. It's like the Higurashi VN, all mystery, no eroge. Much prefer it to Higurashi though. The anime adaptation really doesn't do it justice, leaves out some crucial parts of the plot and there's next to no characterization for a lot of the characters (which is understandable, you can't develop 30-something characters fully in a 20-something episode anime). Manga seems pretty faithful from what I've read though.

If you haven't seen Higurashi, I'd watch that. If you have, the full first arc of Umineko is free to download as a kind of demo for the series. Download's at the translation team's site- Here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I'd like to see what people come up with for this.

So I'm at a crossroads between series', I want something comedic and easy going, whether it's an overall dark series doesn't bother me. Series that I'd like to see something along the lines of are Niea_7, Lucky Star, Haruhi, Eve no Jikan. Y'know stuff like that. Not concerned about what time period it's set in or anything like that. No harem or and mostly no romance unless you think you can provide an exceptional exception. Sort of leaning toward something set in modern times, but it's no bother if it's not.

Shoot.

Edit: Oh, no K-On! or Angel Beat please, I don't like highschool girl band stuff. Yeah, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Hmmm I'm gonna recommend Tatami Galaxy. One of the best recent series I've seen in a while. It's pretty funny for the most part if a little hard to follow just from the speed of the talking/subtitles in it. I dunno if it'd be the same for you but I found it got a little drawn out toward the middle of the series but watching it to the end is definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I watched Akira and Grave of the Fireflies recently both of which I quite liked.... Any recommendations based on these?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

watched the guts of ghibli, 5dm per sec, girl who leapt,voices of a distant,vexille,tried getting into highschool of the dead...was a bit too rack attack for me just finishing nge and death note is lined up with ef a tale of memories. i had only ever seen spirited away before xmas... too much free time. i'd recommend all bar, highschool of the dead

Advertisement