Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Even Flyefit has an SSB. They will try to fold you in half.

Belt squat is great for loading up the quads with minimal stress on lower back.

Using that with the GHR I’ll have a grand pair a legs on me this time next year. Might even see yee in a competition if COVID can stay the hell away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Might even see yee in a competition if COVID can stay the hell away

Yuurrrssssss

Squat

60kg x 8
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 3 x 5

A little more weight/reps than last time. There was a girl in there Cleaning her bar with a wire brush after her sets. That’s a new one. My right shoulder is back hurting when squatting. Wasn’t nearly as bad as before, hopefully because I did a good shoulder warm up today.

Lat pull down

80kg x 10
    90kg 10, 9, 7

Great lat pull down machine.

Db press

15kg x 12
    19.5kg 12, 10, 10

I’ll take it easy on chest/shoulders for a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have probably asked before but have you tried widening your grip on squat to help your shoulder?

Have probably asked before but have you tried widening your grip on squat to help your shoulder?

I didn’t a finger yea and it helps, but the bar isn’t as tight on My back if I go wider. Plus, little fingers getting pretty close to the edge of a bad as pinch, depending on the rack I’m using

• Advertisement

I didn’t a finger yea and it helps, but the bar isn’t as tight on My back if I go wider. Plus, little fingers getting pretty close to the edge of a bad as pinch, depending on the rack I’m using

Say what, Khamzat?

Say what, Khamzat?

Haha jaysus you’d swear I was drunk writing that.
    Well basically I made my grip wider but the bar feels loser because of it. And also, depending on the rack I’m using, a wider than normal grip leaves my little fingers very close to the edge for a nice pinch

Haha jaysus you’d swear I was drunk writing that.
    Well basically I made my grip wider but the bar feels loser because of it. And also, depending on the rack I’m using, a wider than normal grip leaves my little fingers very close to the edge for a nice pinch

;)

I figured it out but I was after watching the presser and listening to his gibberish, I couldn't help it.

Maybe you try moving to SSB for a while as you build back up a bit. Get in some volume without jacking up your shoulder.

;)

I figured it out but I was after watching the presser and listening to his gibberish, I couldn't help it.

Maybe you try moving to SSB for a while as you build back up a bit. Get in some volume without jacking up your shoulder.

Yea, I’m gonna try Better warm Ups the next few times and if it persists I’ll go the ssb

Squats

Worked up to 100kg x 3 x 3

Less reps, more weight. Plenty of shoulder warm ups, including between sets. Definitely helped. Weight was comfortable enough. What used to be by warm up weight is now my working weight. Time is scarce these days.
    Lost balance on the last rep and nearly lost the bar. That’d be some mess cause it’s upstairs on a wooden floor with no safety’s

Back extensions on the GHR

I didn’t even attempt a GHR.

Back extensions +10kg x 3 x 10

Quite the little burn in my hamstrings. Handy enough

• Advertisement

Deadlift

These rogue plates are great. Barbell up near my knees.
    First time ever using a 25kg plates before. Maths gonna be all over the place. Soooo used to 20kg.
    These moved pretty well and I prob had 2 more reps on the first set of 150, which I’m happy about. Got to use that lever thing that lifts the barbell off the ground to load it, which is a godsend

70kg x 6
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 3
    150kg x 2 x 3

Belt squat

100kg x 5
    90kg x 2 x 5

Dunno if it was the tired body after deadlifts but these were brutally hard. Much harder than I anticipated. It’ll take some getting used to, especially foot position.

Bench press

50kg x 3 x 8

Pumpy and handy. I think light weights, lots of reps might be the way to go for a while

Lat pull down
    70kg x 8
    90kg x 8
    100kg x 2 x 8

Squat

100kg x 3 x 5

Loads of warmups for my shoulder and it didn’t really help. Time for a fizzio.
    2 extra reps on each working set so progress is being made.

Bench

50kg x 3 x 10

Not as handy as expected. Again, same weight but 2 extra reps per working set.

Deadlift

70kg x 6
    100kg x 4
    120kg x 2
    140kg x 2
    155kg x 3 x 2

These weren’t as handy as I was hoping. Had to have a chat with myself before the 3rd set. Need to be tighter all over. More weight, less reps than last time. Prob start doing more reps less weight next time and build up....if the gym stays open.

Trap bar Shrugs 90 x 3 x 12

Bench press 50kg 12, 12, 9, 7

Kept the weight the same. Had to come in and edit. I wrote in haste and failed on my 3rd set, assuming I’d hit 12. Did an extra set of 7 to feel the pump. Bar was far more stable this time and all the reps felt better

Cable Rev flys

Squat

110kg x 3 x 3

Warmups, light db Rev flys in between sets and a rack that allows a wider grip has made a big difference to the shoulder. 10kg heavier that’s last time and I have to say, the weight was simple. I easily had 3 reps more on each set. Very happy with that

Lat pull down 100kg. 8, 8, 6, 6
    S/S
    Tricep pull downs

Ohp

Bar x 10
    30kg 10, 10, 10, 9

Very light but wasn’t easy near the end.

GHR x 3 x 1/2

Incredibly hard. It was quite and I was walking past the GHR. When I master these I’d say it’ll give me benefits beyond my wildest dreams....or add 5kg to my deadlift

DB bench

15kg x 15

19.5kg x 12

24kg x 8

19.5kg x amrap (8 pffft)

Seal rows on a real life seal row machine

No idea what weight the bar is so I’ll only count plate weight

20kg x 10
    30kg x 3 x 10

Cant say these felt overly taxing. I’ll go heavier next time. That’ll shut me up.

Cable Rev flys.

Deadlift

140kg x 3 x 5

Big Indian and a bottle of wine at 10 last night. This could’ve went bad. It was grand. Dropped back the weight and upped the reps. Felt like cardio at the end.

Bench

50kg 12, 12, 11

Getting closer to the 3 x 12

Cable Rev flys

These are coming along great. Ha.

Squat

120kg x 3 x 3

Shoulder wasn’t playing ball this morning. I’m booking in physio when I get home. Squat strength is recovering well though. I feel I’m back to somewhat normal when I can do 3 x 5 at 120kg. Not a million miles off that. I feel I’m hitting depth much better in this gym. Probably cause I have real life powerlifters throwing me the odd glance.

** edit. Those were 3 x 3 sets **

Leg extensions

50kg x 4 x 8

I don’t think there’s any exercise that truly burns my quads to the core like the leg extension.

Short on time today. Jelly legs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

leg extensions <3

Annnnd I bought a squat rack

Annnnd I bought a squat rack

What rack?

• Advertisement

What rack?

Second hand power rack, basic enough. In good nick. Comes with decent bench too. 400 total. Powertec I think is the brand

Second hand power rack, basic enough. In good nick. Comes with decent bench too. 400 total. Powertec I think is the brand

Nice. Sure basic does the job...does everything you want.

Nice. Sure basic does the job...does everything you want.

Yep. The price of a barbell and plates is horrific though.

Got a quote for 200kg in plates and barbell for 750 delivered. He makes the plates himself. On DoneDeal. Look fairly ok

Is that the guy in fermanagh?

Is that the guy in fermanagh?

Yea that’s him. Any feedback on him?

Yea that’s him. Any feedback on him?

Nope. Just did a quick search after your description above.

I'm half thinking about building a DIY squat rack for outside (no room inside) so curious to hear your own feedback when you get them

I'm half thinking about building a DIY squat rack for outside (no room inside) so curious to hear your own feedback when you get them

The plates are 465 dia. Rogue plates are 450. I can’t imagine 7.5mm will make much difference.

The plates are 465 dia. Rogue plates are 450. I can’t imagine 7.5mm will make much difference.

At least you won't need to get blocks for block pulls anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

outside like on a patio/paving is it?
    so tempting, at least then don't need to panic about lockdown

Advertisement