Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

DopeTech wrote: »
    When you click on the referral link and enter your name it gives you the option to login/activate your sim. Choose this. As far as I know it should work.

No not giving me the activation option,just the order sim option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭DopeTech

bassy wrote: »
    No not giving me the activation option,just the order sim option.

Are you sure you are clicking an actual referral link? Like this?

Mod Edit: No referral codes on this forum

If I click this it asks for a name and then asks me to
    option 1:login/activate sim
    Option 2:order sim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Are you sure you are clicking an actual referral link? Like this?

Mod Edit: No referral codes on this forum

If I click this it asks for a name and then asks me to
    option 1:login/activate sim
    Option 2:order sim

No joy.

How long does it take to activate the sim I just tryed activating it the normal way and the 48 icon is swirling away on middle of screen.

No joy.

How long does it take to activate the sim I just tryed activating it the normal way and the 48 icon is swirling away on middle of screen.

Not sure what to tell you. It just worked for me right now. Maybe try the referral link in a different browser or incognito mode?

Activation was instant when I did it although it took about 30 mins for data to activate on my account. Doubt activations only happen during working hours like porting.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭glen123

No joy.

I think, if you've requested for referral sims to be sent to you, they are linked to you. So going by their Q&As, activating them and buying a membership should be enough for both of you (your own sim and recruited sim) to get free month.

From T&Cs:
    48 shall track new Recruitees linked to the referring Recruiter's personal SIM Order Page and all Recruit & Reward Credit will be determined by 48 and communicated to Recruiters on their Recruit & Reward Page. Recruit & Reward Credit shall automatically be added to the Recruiter's existing credit balance and should be applied immediately but in some cases it may take up to 48 hours for Recruit & Reward credit to apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭melikebanana

I received the 5 referral sims, transferred my 2 kids to 48 from gomo, but have not received any free credit, so there seems to be a problem there. I'll contact chat tomorrow about it.
    glen123 wrote: »
    I think, if you've requested for referral sims to be sent to you, they are linked to you. So going by their Q&As, activating them and buying a membership should be enough for both of you (your own sim and recruited sim) to get free month.

From T&Cs:
    48 shall track new Recruitees linked to the referring Recruiter's personal SIM Order Page and all Recruit & Reward Credit will be determined by 48 and communicated to Recruiters on their Recruit & Reward Page. Recruit & Reward Credit shall automatically be added to the Recruiter's existing credit balance and should be applied immediately but in some cases it may take up to 48 hours for Recruit & Reward credit to apply.

I received the 5 referral sims, transferred my 2 kids to 48 from gomo, but have not received any free credit, so there seems to be a problem there. I'll contact chat tomorrow about it.

You need to buy the first membership on each sim and then the €7.99 free credit is applied to both of you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

glen123 wrote: »

From T&Cs:

+1

I used my recruiters sim for my wife today.
    The credit is already applied to my account this evening.

Strange one though, her credit balance is €7.92 ?

Gumbo wrote: »
    +1

I used my recruiters sim for my wife today.
    The credit is already applied to my account this evening.

Strange one though, her credit balance is €7.92 ?

iMessage activation text charge perhaps?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

iMessage activation text charge perhaps?

Possibly but I have €8.91.
    When I was trialing my initial sim there was €1 credit on it.
    Maybe because i trialled it,on the 48.ie 089 number for a day before porting I go that credit.

Not complaining mind you, it’s a good system. I still have 2 more sims recruits for my mam and day. Should get a few months free at this stage :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

Not sure what to tell you. It just worked for me right now. Maybe try the referral link in a different browser or incognito mode?

Activation was instant when I did it although it took about 30 mins for data to activate on my account. Doubt activations only happen during working hours like porting.

Refreshing the screen worked for me straightaway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

peejy wrote: »
    Any update on this?

When I was on Tesco network, i could not get PTSB messages

I get texts from PTSB on Tesco no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭podge3

So how do you actually use the "recruit" credit to buy a membership?

I'm setup with auto renew on a credit card. Do I just turn the auto renew off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Szero wrote: »
    2 weeks ago I ordered a sim. It did not arrive after a week. I contacted 48 via Twitter. They said that there was no record that I ever ordered a sim and to re-order. I re-ordered the sim. Again, it did not arrive. I contacted 48 via Twitter. They said that there was no record that I ever ordered a sim and to re-order. I said I was unwilling to keep reordering and wanted to know what the issue was. They suggested that I give them my password and they would login and order it for me. I refused to give them my password.

WTF. Why are my orders disappearing? Any idea? Thanks.

I ordered a SIM about 3 weeks ago and still no sign of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

podge3 wrote: »
    So how do you actually use the "recruit" credit to buy a membership?

I'm setup with auto renew on a credit card. Do I just turn the auto renew off?

Yeti turn auto renew it and then purchase the bundle at the end of the month.

Anyone needs free sim and a month free calls and data you can click on my link in the referral codes section of bargain alerts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Szero wrote: »
    2 weeks ago I ordered a sim. It did not arrive after a week. I contacted 48 via Twitter. They said that there was no record that I ever ordered a sim and to re-order. I re-ordered the sim. Again, it did not arrive. I contacted 48 via Twitter. They said that there was no record that I ever ordered a sim and to re-order. I said I was unwilling to keep reordering and wanted to know what the issue was. They suggested that I give them my password and they would login and order it for me. I refused to give them my password.

WTF. Why are my orders disappearing? Any idea? Thanks.

I'm not sure what's worse...them asking you to give your password or not trusting that you have actually ordered it properly.

My SIM still hasn't arrived after 3 weeks and getting no joy off their support. If they can't even tell what's happening with their orders, I'm very sceptical of them being able to run a mobile network

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

Moral of the story, cheep for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Nope for the majority here including myself it has been plain sailing. Free calls and 100gb data for less than 8€. Obviously with so many porting over there are always going to be some problems with few but mostly is perfect network so far for me

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

irishchris wrote: »
    Nope for the majority here including myself it has been plain sailing. Free calls and 100gb data for less than 8€. Obviously with so many porting over there are always going to be some problems with few but mostly is perfect network so far for me

Hope so, gomo was fine too in beginning, but it now gone to pot, speed wise, had to return to Vodafone as it became unusable

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭FluffPiece

This arrived at a good time for myself.

New house, no broadband for the near future until I get on the system. Ordered a sim and it arrived in about 5 days, have it in a 4G router and working away fine. Not massive speeds but enough to be getting on with, especially for €8 a month and it means if needed, I could work from home in a pinch.

The only downside is the 100gb limit with two kids who have had previously had Virgin Media so reminding them that they can't have it all anymore :D:D

Have ordered myself a couple of more sims via the recruiter method so I can have one or two on standby. I'm on GoMo on my phone but see a few black spots where calls would drop, so am tempted to try one of the new sims in my phone for a week or two and see if it's improved and worth porting over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Got one sim for myself that came after a couple of days, tested it out, seemed a bit patchy at the start but as I got out and about the signal was fine.

Like the above ordered 3 sims for family members three weeks ago and nothing, no confirmation mail or anything. Ordered another 3 last week just to be sure and nothing still.

Got onto chat to ask if the sim order went through and they were able to tell me that I ordered 6 sims. 3 on one date and 3 on another.

Maybe they just have a big uptake on the sims and are waiting on stock?? Who knows.

I will say that instead of the recruiter sims I copied the referral link and sent to two family members to sign up that way during the week (Tuesday) and they signed up themselves with their own email and they had their sims yesterday (Friday). Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

Hi folks ,sorry if a stupid question. I just received 3 Sims , what's the best way to proceed . We are all moving our numbers .

Appreciate any help
    Thanks

mono_mac wrote: »
    Hi folks ,sorry if a stupid question. I just received 3 Sims , what's the best way to proceed . We are all moving our numbers .

Appreciate any help
    Thanks

Take one at a time. Yours first, use a referral link to activate your sim. Under settings you can move your number. Then when you have yours set up you can get your own referral link and give it to the other two people to use and activate theirs the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

I'm definitely going to try this out - just ordered the sim now so hopefully it arrives.... Thanks OP and everyone else here for drawing my attention to it. I'll be interested to see how good/bad data speeds are - has anyone done a speedtest? They advertise 10MB down which seems similar to what gomo advertise

cjlawlor wrote: »
    I'm definitely going to try this out - just ordered the sim now so hopefully it arrives.... Thanks OP and everyone else here for drawing my attention to it. I'll be interested to see how good/bad data speeds are - has anyone done a speedtest? They advertise 10MB down which seems similar to what gomo advertise

Plenty of speed tests done throughout the thread. Speeds vary from place to place. Some people are finding in certain places its unusable while others are saying it's far faster than the other networks their are on so it really depends on where you are. When you get the sim you'll get a good idea. If you have been on 3 then expect the same speeds. in some areas speeds definitely go higher than 10MB but more often than not it's probably be lower. It depends what you will be using it for whether it'll suit your needs or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

Moved from vodafone to 48 3 months ago, speeds are varying day to day in the same areas, getting 29d and 12u now, but it drops at times both at home and work to under 1u&d and struggles to load anything, so variable going to test gomo for a month maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

48 is using 3's network, so it should be the exact same coverage, speeds ect. I'm not sure what's happening so

Not so I'm afraid, its a virtual network and piggy backs off the 3 network. Basically 3 direct customers get complete priority on speeds, 48 use completely different APN settings. I've warned before, anyone who is on 3 and thinks 48 will work regarding data speeds needs to be very careful. As an example, I currently get up to 40 meg speeds on 3's WiFi network, I also got as much when my phone was with them. Tried a 48 SIM, a few months back, not only were data speeds dreadful, I could not even open up speed testing app, phone calls non existent and texts delayed. 48 is not a network I would recommend if living rural, which I do and very rural at that.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Will a phone that's locked to the Three network need to be unlocked in order to work on the 48 network ?

I have a GoMo sim in an old 3G phone

Also have a much better 4G phone but it's locked to the Three network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Contract is up with Eir thinking of switching out do people find the porting process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Will a phone that's locked to the Three network need to be unlocked in order to work on the 48 network ?

I have a GoMo sim in an old 3G phone

Also have a much better 4G phone but it's locked to the Three network

A 48 SIM won't work in a phone locked to 3.

Options:
    - Request unlock code from 3 but they might only provide it if you're still a bill pay customer or a PAYG customer with sufficient recent top up

- Buy an unlock code on eBay from a seller with very high rating (>99%). Cost varies depending on phone make/model

Advertisement