Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's just a bunch of feet playing with my mind

Options
  • 14-09-2020 4:21pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭

You know when a new log pops up and you open it, curious to see where the person is at only to be pleasantly surprised that they either have an impressive background to get back to, or have heaps of talent to be reaping from currently? Well this isn’t one of those :D Nonetheless I hope no one minds that I pull up a pew.

The Past
    Running and me enjoyed/endured a brief dalliance a few years ago. Speed was never my friend and I had a simple dream of running a 10k in under an hour. It never happened – my own fault. The closest I got was 1hr01min :pac: I’m not sure when I actually turned my back on it all, but did eventually. The following was the best I did - all in 2015:
    5k – 31 mins (I think?)
    5 mile – 48 mins
    10k – 1hr01 min
    HM – 2hr 25 min

The Present
    I started the 10k Garmin plan 6 weeks ago. It wasn't a great start. Rather than go down the slippery slope of misery like before, I did a checklist of issues to fix – there were many :D As a result, I’ve readjusted paces. I’m 3 weeks booze free. I honestly thought no beer make Homer/Hannibal go crazy, but I’m not missing it at all yet and a diet shake up (have more than a few pounds to shed!). However, the main issue was the engine just seemed as if no matter how slow or easy I went, it was working harder than it should. So in the interests of ironing out all creases, I paid a visit to the GP and I’m now on BP meds and an inhaler like a granny :D I can keep working away and don’t have to do anything different other than take a couple of puffs of the inhaler before heading out for a run. I’ve to keep a diary of how things go so I thought sure I may as well do a log where I might get some advice too, killing two birds (but hopefully not this bird :eek: ) with the one stone. It might also keep me from hogging the RRQ thread :D

Not in the greatest of places :D (going by the TTs)
    5k – 33 mins
    10k - 1hr 10 mins

The Future
    All this is about to change though. I signed up for the KBC 10k a few weeks ago, which I really want to get my act together for. The aim is to do it all official like and use the Phoenix Park route rather than a local route that’s overly familiar to me. Hopefully everyone else signing up won’t have the same idea of heading there on the day! I’m not sure what to expect, but sure we’ll keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Rather than going back over the past six weeks, I’ll start with the last week which was week 6 (obvs) of the plan.

8/9/2020 – 30 min recovery run – avg pace 12:27 – 2.41 miles.

9/9/2020 – Threshold/tempo 20 mins easy – 20 mins threshold – 20 mins easy 4.98 miles
    Done while the eldest was training, which means I had the benefit of the down hills at Deerpark and Kiltipper to begin with but made damn sure the tempo part was done before facing back up them :D The run felt so smooth and so enjoyable. Despite it feeling so great at the time, I felt really rough afterwards and the next day, hence the visit to the GP.

12/9/2020 – 10 min warm up – 3 min @ 10k – 2 min rec x 6 – CD
    Probably overly complicated for someone at my level, but nice to have a bit of work to do and you gotta go with the plan. First day with the inhaler and used it before heading out. I don’t really know much about them to be honest and didn’t know what to expect. If anything I think it made the most difference later on in the run. Probably too soon to be judging it though. It clearly got harder towards the end, but it was a normal kind of tough, nothing like before. With the advice from the RRQ thread in my ears I thought 11.15 was a good 10k pace to aim for but ending up dancing all around it without ever hitting it :pac: They went:-
    1. 11:03 2. 10:58 3. 11:08
    4.11:23 5. 10:49 6. 11:39

13/9/20 – 80 min easy – avg pace 12:21 – 6.48 miles
    All just ticked by beautifully. Womble Hill, Morton’s Mountain and Old Bawn Hill – delightfully manageable. If it hadn’t been dark by the time I got back I would have tried another lap of the estate. I had full use of my foot back (it’s too unpleasant to go into :pac: ) and between that and the new iron lungs at this stage I’ll be kicking off a doping scandal of my own when I break the Irish 10k record in Oct :pac:

It’s nice to be back at it :D Very much looking forward to getting stuck in to it this week anyhow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck with the new log! Exciting times ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Great to see a new log start up. Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Deadly!!!!

Thanks ariana, Huzzah and Oneg :D

Week 7

15/9/20 10 mins WU – 6 mins tempo -> 3 mins @ 10k -> 2 mins rec x 4 – cool down 4.82 miles

Was a bit anxious about this one. The last attempt at something like this was a couple of weeks ago and it didn’t go very well. Added to that I felt tired on the warm up! But there was enough work done in between to show I was capable of it if I just stick to what I’m capable of :pac: In the middle of the 4th round, I thought, this is the life! I’m just motoring along so nicely. Until I got confused and couldn’t remember was it 4 repeats I was to do or 6 and I didn’t feel so brave then :D It was a beautiful morning, perfect weather and I was really happy when I finished.

Tempo target – 11:30 -> 10k Target – 11:15
    Round 1 – 6 min tempo – 11:42 -> 3 min 10k – 11:08
    Round 2 - 6 min tempo – 11:28 -> 3 min 10k – 11:03
    Round 3 – 6 min tempo – 11:24 -> 3 min 10k – 11:11
    Round 4 – 6 min tempo – 11:07 -> 3 min 10k – 10:55 (J Lo)

18/9/20 – 15 mins WU – 15 mins Tempo – 15 mins easy 3.86 miles

Gorgeous morning and a lovely run. Starting to lose the fear when I see threshold (tempo) on the plan, so either I’m doing it all wrong :pac: or the confidence is growing. In fact I couldn’t wait for the warm up to end and get started. Aimed for 11.30, but it came it at 11:16-10:53 (downhill) towards the end. I really thought I behaved better than that and genuinely tried to.

19/9/20 – 10 min WU – (2 min 10k – 1 min rec) x 8 – CD 3.42 miles

Couldn’t wait to get out for this one. Forgot to take the puffer before heading out and sure that was on my mind a bit. There was no point aiming too strictly for a time for the 10k bits. They were only 2 mins long and it would make it a jiggery pokery headwreck to try and fix/get right. So I just tried to control it instead and switched off everything else and focused on what I was doing as each repeat came. Didn’t really work all that well as they all came in a smidge too fast :pac:, but it was great fun.

10k repeats were:

1. 10:30 2. 10:41 3. 10:40 4. 11:24 (Womble Hill)
    5. 10:47 6. 11:16 (OBM) 7. 10:46 8. 10:28

There was an 80 min run on the cards for today, but I’m smothering with a cold the eldest kindly brought home from school. Although I’m sure that’s all it is, I’ll stay in for the 48 hours nonetheless. Not happy about it but also I couldn’t in all fairness take 1hr 20 mins away from the family and then be dying for the rest of the day. So will finish the week there.

• Advertisement

Thanks ariana, Huzzah and Oneg :D

18/9/20 – 15 mins WU – 15 mins Tempo – 15 mins easy 3.86 miles

19/9/20 – 10 min WU – (2 min 10k – 1 min rec) x 8 – CD 3.42 miles

Hi. Sorry to hear about the head cold, I hope you feel better soon.

It's quite unusual to do 2 sessions back to back, usually plans will have an easy/recovery run (or a rest day) sandwiched between sessions... It caught my eye and I'm not sure if it was planned that way or if you moved some runs around but it might be something to watch out for again. Great week otherwise :)

ariana` wrote: »
    Hi. Sorry to hear about the head cold, I hope you feel better soon.

It's quite unusual to do 2 sessions back to back, usually plans will have an easy/recovery run (or a rest day) sandwiched between sessions... It caught my eye and I'm not sure if it was planned that way or if you moved some runs around but it might be something to watch out for again. Great week otherwise :)

Like Lazarus this morning thank feck!

Hah! Fair play on spotting it. You get away with nothing round here :D. Friday's run was supposed to have been done on Thurs. And Friday was supposed to be free. Thurs was mental and I couldn't fit it in. So I thought I'd just do it on Fri, assuming Saturday's run was just going to be a recovery run.

Like Lazarus this morning thank feck!

Hah! Fair play on spotting it. You get away with nothing round here :D. Friday's run was supposed to have been done on Thurs. And Friday was supposed to be free. Thurs was mental and I couldn't fit it in. So I thought I'd just do it on Fri, assuming Saturday's run was just going to be a recovery run.

No harm moving runs around occasionally when life gets in the way but I'd avoid back to back hard days. If the runs can't be rearranged with adequate rest/recovery then just move on from it, one missed session isn't the end of the world.

Glad to hear you're feeling better :)

Tomorrow's run on the plan is - wu 10 mins - (2 miles @10k pace - 10 mins recovery) x 2

I've no problem giving it a go... But I think it's designed for someone who can run a mile or two faster than me. Even if I run a mile in 11 mins it's going to mean the total work out (incl recoveries) will be over an hour on my feet in total. And sure then the long run in itself on Sunday will be 80 mins.

Do I keep it as is and just go for it... Or change it?

If tomorrow feels tough, adapt. Don’t over exert yourself but the whole idea of Sunday’s run is to be on fatigued legs so don’t go to easy on yourself!!!

• Advertisement

Ah OK.. Thanks for that :D

Week 8

23/9/20 WU – (2 min @ 5k pace – 1 min rec) x 4 – 3 min rec - (2 min @ 5k pace – 1 min rec) x 4 – CD 4.10 miles

Whooopah! I was a bit unsure I could do this! One of those mornings trying to get the kids out, the week’s plan started on a Wed which when added to the sick day on Sun gave me too much time off, my headphones weren’t charged, I wasn’t convinced I was 100% over the cold and I forgot to rename the runs on the app and it read like a very complicated work out! I found a pen in the car and wrote the breakdowns on my hand, realising then it really wasn’t that complicated at all. Without the earphones though, which have become a bit of a crutch :o I thought it was going to be a really boring slog. Boy was I wrong! Warming up my legs felt so strong! Alll the worries and apprehension I had just melted away. In fact I had to fight to keep it slow – it being the warm up. The avg pace for the 5k TT was 10:46, so I thought I’d aim for that. Maybe I was supposed to find it handy enough, but I definitely welcomed the recoveries and in some places needed them, which disappointed me a little. Similar to last week, rather than trying to hit the exact pace, which seemed a little impractical in 2 minutes, I just went by feel and threw a look at the watch when it felt excessively hard and dialed it back a bit if necessary. It meant that I was bit on the fast side, so I can’t be too disappointed. Besides all that…I flaming enjoyed it and didn’t even notice the absence of the tunes pushing me along :D. Regarding the puffer, I think the effect it’s having is that rather than having an accumulating feeling of discomfort, regardless of recoveries – I am actually recovering and ready for the next interval when the time comes. Not seeing the heart rate come down mind you :pac:
    5ks were:-
    1. 10:22 2. 10:41 3. 10:27 4. 10.47
    5. 10:26 6. 10:49 7. 10:57 8. 10:36

24/9/20 – Recovery Run – 30 mins – 2.61 miles avg pace 12.16

Did this while the eldest was training. It was supposed to be 40 mins, but it was lashing rain and as it got heavier I headed back to the club in case the coaches cut his session short. No such danger with GAA!! Forgot the puffer again. I definitely went as slow as I could. At no point did I feel like I was pushing anything, in fact it felt like a bit of a shuffle in parts. The pace reflects that too. However, when I looked at the run later the heart rate was a bit high. In fact it told me I should see a significant improvement in my fitness thanks to this difficult aerobic activity :eek: :pac: After a quick online search, it seems rain/cold weather can sometimes have an effect on wrist monitors.

26/9/20 – 10 min WU – 2 miles @ 10k – 10 mins recover 3.72 miles

As per my post on Fri, there was supposed to be 2 rounds of 2 miles at 10k. Woke up Sat 5am and ended up in a vicious circle of feeling nauseous, running to the bathroom but felt OK when I got there, back to bed, felt nauseous, back to bathroom… ad infinitum. Should have had me Garmin on for a few of those sprints :D. Anyhow I refused to accept I was sick, after all no tummy contents made a re-appearance and more importantly, everyone knows it’s impossible to be sick two weekends in a row. I mean it’s just science :D.

Headed off while the eldest was training.. His sessions are 90 mins on Sat so I’d loads of time. Warmed up nicely and the first 2 mile started. I was cruising along so happily. Forgot the puffer but it didn’t matter. This is the type of run I’ve been wanting for weeks… a good aul proper stretch of a tester. It was a little fast and at some parts I felt it, being a good 2 mile stretch though I had time to find the right pace again. The 2 miles were up and I went into the recovery part. I turned back on to the route preparing for the next 2 mile stint and the engine just died. It just went caput. I tried a few times to get going again but I couldn’t. I had to walk back to the car and mourn the loss of what could have been a lovely run on a beautiful morning. I came a way with an incline I could have done it had the morning not started the way it did and that’s what I’m continuing to rely on! There will be another one of these in a couple of weeks, so we will see.

The two mile 10ks I did were:
    1. 11:11
    2. 11:08
    So I wasn’t far off.

27/9/20 – 10 miles easy 1.59 mins lol avg pace 11:54

The Plan said 80 mins easy and I know I went over it but I’m not sorry. Used the puffer. Started off with tired legs, so at least yesterday’s jaunt did what it was supposed to. It was a battle to keep it slow and I tried to go as easy as possible. Had no intentions of doing anything other than sticking with the plan. But something happened a couple of miles in and I was just happily plodding along. I blame Thunderstruck. When I got to Mortons Mountain I was determined it wasn’t going to be pot luck hanging on by my fingernails to get up it. I was going to ignore the watch and get up it with strength. Get me! I chuckled to myself when I came up with that one. Wasn’t long ago I was getting up it on a wing and a prayer :pac:. When I got to the summit and it hadn’t actually taken too much out of me that’s when the thought struck. I could hit the 10 mile mark today, if I want. Do I want? I could behave and stick to the plan, which would be the more sensible option… or I could do what I’ve been dying to do for the last year. I’ve been patient. It’s a glorious morning, not a breath of wind, not too warm. I made a deal with myself. I wouldn’t deviate from the route – it was still going to have every hill I’d planned today, including throwing in Thomas Davis and if I was still going okay I’d throw in another lap of Old Bawn and that would bring me to the Holy Grail – 10 miles. I know it probably wasn’t clever, given yesterday and last week and that I’m in the middle of a plan that isn’t going to get any easier, but I don’t care. I’ll take every repercussion I deserve – it was pure bliss. It was all I could get out of myself, I was flaked by the end but I couldn’t be happier with myself :D.

I’m one month and three days alcohol free today apparently, which I’m also pretty chuffed about :D
    The last month has been hectic with DIY makeovers around the house. Tomorrow the final piece of it arrives and it’ll all be finished and I’ll welcome the physical breather.

Whatever the result at the end of this plan, I can’t believe in April I was huffing and puffing around the estate thinking myself lucky if I got 5k done… and today I did 10 miles!!!! :D

No harm deviating from the plan the odd time & testing yourself but wouldn’t make a habit of it. Well done on the running over the weekend.

No, I won't make a habit of it. Garmin has already told me off :pac:

Thanks for the help... And for kicking off those TTs!!

Week 9

Week 9! How the hell did that happen… I’ve only 3 weeks left!!

29/9/20 – threshold run – 15 min easy 15 min threshold 15 min easy 3.98 miles - P

Sunday’s child is full of woe. Knackered was not the word. Haahaa that’ll teach me. I did so much lifting and moving of furniture I’m tempted to change my name to BA Baracus.

Anyhow… the run :D - managed it nicely in the end. It was a bit fast, matching Sat’s 10k pace. There is a conscious effort not to push and when it feels like I am, to reel it back. On the flip side there is also a nice calmness between easy and hard when it feels like all you have to do is cruise along. I like that. Threshold didn’t always feel that way :D. I like that too :pac:

1/10/20 – WU – 2 min @ 10k – 1 min rec x 10 3.93 miles - P

Not going to lie, this terrified me when I saw it on the plan :pac: But in practice it was so lovely. I felt tired starting out, but once the 2 mins started, they just ticked by so nicely. I can’t say they were too comfortable. Abandoned the previous approach of winging it and swapped it for focusing on holding myself straight, lightening my feet hitting the ground and relaxing. I wish I’d done this in the beginning, it’s a much better use of the time! Delighted to have it done and to have learned something from it.

10k target was 11.10/11.15

1. 11.08. 2. 10.53. 3. 11.09.
    4. 10.31. 5 10.54. 6. 10.34
    7. 10.44. 8. 11.00. 9. 11.02
    10. 11.43 (must have zoned out for this one?)

3/10/20 - 40 mins recovery run 3.72 miles avg pace 11.38

Should have been 30 mins. I thought the route was shorter than it was and got caught out. Tried and tried to take it slower. I don’t like recovery runs any more, they’re very hard to get right :pac:. I always feel people passing are saying ‘jaysus is that as fast as she can go’ or ‘she’d be quicker walking’. Nonetheless, this was faster than my easy pace and there’s no excuse for that! :D I was happy to get out though, I think I’m ready to add another day :eek:

4/10/20 - 90 mins easy 7.46 miles - avg pace 12.04

Never so delighted to get something over and done with. Dug what I thought was a waterproof jacket out (it absolutely wasn't :D) , found a peg (my hood always flies about and never stays up, so I hold it in place with a peg under my chin) and headed off. First half was lovely. Had the paths to myself, only runners about, everyone waving to each other or giving a ‘we must be mad’ eye roll. It was nice. Didn’t feel the rain at all. Then came the homeward journey, which was a bit of a cold wet soggy slog. Never felt it in my feet mind you, which was nice! Couldn’t have given a hoot about going too fast or too slow, all I wanted to be told was that the 90 mins was over :pac: Towards the end I was just surviving it until INXS came on and I had a visual of Michael Hutchence in his leathers and that was a nice distraction for the last bit :D.

Also.. I passed a fella wearing a number on his jacket, what's that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭edinrunna

The guy with the number on his jacket probably doing the virtual London Marathon?

That’s another solid week L, fair play.

edinrunna wrote: »
    The guy with the number on his jacket probably doing the virtual London Marathon?

Yeah that very well could be it. Fair play to him in that weather.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    That’s another solid week L, fair play.

Thanks. I'm finally getting into the plan. 9 weeks later :D.

Week 10

6/10/20 – WU – 15 mins threshold - 2min rec – 15 mins threshold - CD 4.28 miles – P

I remember scanning through this plan before starting it to see whether I was capable of it and seeing this run. I imagined being able to do two threshold stints in one run and it wasn’t pretty :eek: :pac: . Of course the warm up ended just as I approached the steepest part of Mortons Mountain, but I suspected as much. Getting up that awkward hill at Glen Road in the Phoenix Park by the end of all of this, without it taking too much out of me and recovering from it to push on is the dream here. So if facing Mortons Mountain at threshold pace helps with that, that’s what I’ll do :D. I did want to practice the route itself on Sunday, but not in that rain! So maybe next Sunday.

The run itself felt rough enough, but only when I was tensed up, so again focused on lightening my steps and relaxing and when I did that I could cruise along so nicely. The cool down route took me down by the kids school, so I had to speed up a bit for that :pac:

It was around this time last year I started throwing a few little jog efforts into my morning walks. But I was never running again! I would walk up Mortons Mountain and try make it further and further each week, always looking forward to the day I might make it to a particular ‘stop’ sign. Even as I progressed and managed to include Mortons Mountain, it took a long time to be able to make it to the stop sign. Today I passed it at a threshold pace, twice. That was a really nice feeling. But I was never running again! :D

Threshold: 11.26, 11.03 (which I had no business being near!)

Right calf is feeling a bit tight so found a yoga routine in YouTube and did that. Well I managed it as best I could with the dog hopping me thinking he was in for fun times :eek: .

8/10/20 - 30 or so mins easy 2.92 miles avg pace 11.48 - P

Im such a div. So all this time it’s had ‘recovery run’ on the plan and I thought it meant recovery pace. I’ve spent the entire plan annoying myself with it. Anyhow it turns out they mean easy pace. So trotted around, tunes in my ears enjoying myself without worrying about a thing. Loved it. Lungs were working fairly hard so dialled back when conscious of it. It’s a shame because my legs felt great. But really really enjoyed every step.

WU – 2 miles 10k – 10 mins rec – 2 miles 10k 5.69 miles - P

After failing at this a couple of weeks ago, I was really looking forward to giving it another go. Actually got proper nerves and everything. Had visions of me cruising round the place at a beautiful 11:00 pace, maybe dipping under if it felt good. Where did I get that as my 10k pace? Well I kind of wanted to just test how far I’d come :rolleyes: The 10k TT was an avg pace of 11:19…so I thought I must be able to do better than that now. So I tried it. Warmed up and all was grand. When the 2 miles kicked in I was ready for it. But as the time went on and I tackled a hill, I started losing power. Alarm bells were going off left right and centre and I found myself trying to put out fires all over the control tower. Thank feck the 10 mins recovery came. It was lovely, but I was having difficulties getting my breathing back under control and only managed it by the end of the 10 minutes. This was ridiculous, I thought, how am I in this state? I was cruising around on Tuesday?? It was a loop I was doing so when the next 2 mile kicked in, it was uphill. I couldn’t look at the watch anymore, I just had to keep motoring. My lungs were working so hard and I just about managed to keep some sort of rhythm going. I tried talking myself out of it and tried to convince myself I was imagining it or being a big baby. It made no sense to me. Slowing down would be grand, but if I slowed down any more I was going to end up slower than the threshold run on Tues and the easy run on Thurs? I just kept trying to maintain the fires because there was no putting them out :pac: Had to walk back to collect the boy from training when I was done – tried the odd bout of jogging but I was cooked.

It was all too hard for 10k, which is a bit disappointing if I’m honest. I really thought I’d have been well able for it. I'm kicking myself for trying the 11.00 pace, but it shouldn't have slaughtered me like that. Then again, if I’d kept to the actual pace I should have been aiming for, chances are I would have faired better. So maybe it was a hard lesson in cop on. The good part is, I kept going, which is more than I did a couple of weeks ago. So every cloud :D. But it has left me a bit worried for the 10k at the end of all of this.

10k parts were:

2 miles – 11.10 – 11.36 :o
    2 miles – 11.43 :o – 11.16

11/10/20 – 70 mins easy 5.8 miles avg pace 12.05

Spent most of the first half trying to slow down. But I have to say, I didn’t really enjoy it today. Got a bit of PTSD when I ended up on one of the same paths as yesterday’s bloodbath :pac: Felt stiff and clunky and just a bit rough. Avg heart rate was 190 bpm, which I literally :eek: ‘ed at when I saw it. Will be back with the GP in a couple of weeks, so will talk to him about it again. There were a couple of lovely moments pottering along mind you but not one of my favourite ones but that’s OK. You can’t win them all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Nice to see you've started a log! Very best of luck with it & your training :D

• Advertisement

Ah thanks Lainey. Your log was one of the ones that got me back on the horse actually :D. I used to have a nosey in at yours and Oonegative's training logs and they always made runs sound so enjoyable. You became my hero when I read you were in Vegas and the girls were sitting round drinking cocktails and you went for a long run :D

Ah thanks Lainey. Your log was one of the ones that got me back on the horse actually :D. I used to have a nosey in at yours and Oonegative's training logs and they always made runs sound so enjoyable. You became my hero when I read you were in Vegas and the girls were sitting round drinking cocktails and you went for a long run :D

Wow I am very humbled to read this...Just like you I gained motivation & support from the many logs on here. I love running, it helps me in so many other ways besides the obvious:) Keep doing what you're doing & ask the questions when you need to, always lots of people here to offer advice!

Most of all enjoy :D

Week 11

12/10/20

I follow Gemma Atkinson on insta. She committed to this work out plan the past year and omg the muscles on her are fab. So I decided I was going to try and follow suit. I have 2 5kg dumb bells. They should have me like her in no time, right? :D. Found a small round of beginner exercises to do with them. Strutted round the rest of the day like I was Dwayne Johnson :pac:

13/10/20 – WU – 15 mins thold - 3 mins 10k - 2 mins rec x 2 - P

Oooooph! I felt a great sense of achievement after this one. It was hard, but a good kind of hard. There were difficulties, breathing was bad again, I got a stitch, but I tackled them and learned from them. I love it when that happens :D Spent the time controlling the breathing and trying to relax everything and not be so stiff, which was nice. This is so sad, but as I turned the last corner of the 10k time Spotify threw St Elmos Fire at me. Holy Moly, it got me moving again I tell you :pac: It’s gone straight on the play list :D

I aimed for a pace of 11.30 for threshold and 11.15/11.19 for 10k and they were

1. Thold – 11:31 – 11.06 (downhill)
    2. 10k – 10.52 (downhill)
    3. Thold – 11.24 – 11.34
    4. 10k – 11.05 (St Elmos Fire :o.)

14/10/20 – 30+ mins easy 2.92 miles – 34 mins – avg pace 11.51

Went handy enough.

Day 2 of Operation Muscle Build. I read Mondays work out properly and said it was supposed to be done with heavier weights and increased, which is why it felt too handy. So I searched and found a 12 min YouTube video and did that. Spent the next 2 days finding it difficult to stand and sit :pac:

17/10/20 – WU – 2 mins 10k – 2 min rec x 6 CD 2.66 miles.

It was grand. Womble Hill is nothing any more. Did have to slow down a bit for Old Bawn Mountain mind you. But was a grand jaunt around
    10k bits were
    1. 11.00. 2. 11.15. 3. 11.00
    4 10.58. 5. 11.04. 6.11.36

18/10/20 – 38 mins easy 3 miles avg pace 12.40

With the Covid numbers increasing there’s a very real possibility I won’t get to finish things in the Phoenix Park as planned. Coupled with that I was starting to panic that the hill will be too much. With that in mind I decided to head to the PP today to get a practice round in. Plan said 45 mins easy. I’d get one lap of the route done, or so I thought. Hopefully the hill won’t be as bad as I remember and it might settle my nerves.

As soon as I started my legs were like lead. On the down hill my left shin hurt. Finally got to the hill and I smiled at what I’d been fearing all this time. I remembered it bigger. Got up it delighted with myself. However not soon after I had to stop :eek: Then I had to stop again :eek: . It was all my legs. So just crawled back to the car in stops and starts as best I could.

I was so annoyed. This was only a trial run at a slow easy pace. I should have managed it. I don’t know why I didn’t. Mortons Mountain is higher, at least I think it is and it’s a long slow hill. Its not like its Everest so why does it sap everything out of me? Will see how I feel during the week I might change the plan and just use the route I used for the TT. If Micheal was to take the decision out of my hands and impose a 5k radius rule again, he would really be doing me a favour :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Looks like Michael granted your wish!! Well done on the weights (and the training!), women should be lifting heavy stuff as part of our training, I've been enjoying reacquainting myself with my kettle bell, barbell etc. Stick with it.

By the way, the nike training app which is free, has some fantastic strength workouts on it, you can choose them based on how much time you have. I do mine on the days I'm not running.

Looks like Michael granted your wish!! Well done on the weights (and the training!), women should be lifting heavy stuff as part of our training, I've been enjoying reacquainting myself with my kettle bell, barbell etc. Stick with it.

By the way, the nike training app which is free, has some fantastic strength workouts on it, you can choose them based on how much time you have. I do mine on the days I'm not running.

I must look that up thanks AGYR. I definitely want to improve the strength side of things. A guy I worked for years ago told me when I turned 40 to do strength work because it's so important, only took me 4 years to heed the advice :rolleyes: :pac:

Week 12

20/10/20 WU – 1 min @ 10k – 1 min rec x 10 – CD 2.64 miles – P

Went ok but heart rate still very high. I have an issue with my toe the past year – I was treating what I thought was a verucca with all sorts of acids and nail files. Turns out it a sore from my toes rubbing together *puke*. I thought I had it sorted with compede plasters, but it flared up again, so got a kind of toe divider thing and used it for the first time this morning. It was beautiful! Probably tmi :D

22/10/20 WU – 30 secs @ 5k – 30 sec rec x 5 – 3 min rest - 30 secs @ 5k – 30 sec rec x 5 – 2 miles.

Loved this one. Heart rate still very high, so rang the GP gave him the latest BP readings and he said he’d email a new prescription to the chemist. Told him about the ‘race’ on Sat and said I didn’t want to take anything that would change things too much at this stage. He said I’d be fine on the current ones until Saturday, but start the new ones on Sun. We also discussed the fact that my lungs are bad again, despite having initially improved with the inhaler. He said to take an extra few puffs before a run and he’d do the lung test again the next time I’m physically in the office with him and we’d go from there.

24/10/20 – KBC 10k – 6.21 miles 1:13mins

That was not the plan at all. I had hoped for 1:08 at least. The Boards 10KTT on the same route was 1:10 and I was so much stronger now, I was really feeling hopeful. The plan was to do what I had done for the Boards 10KTT – start at a slower pace for the first half and move up for the second half. It worked perfectly for the TT where the first half averaged about 11:34 and the second have 11:06. Today the aim was to do the first half at an average of 11:20 per mile and then even if I was dying by the end of it, I could easily increase it gently for the second half. Well that didn’t work out :rolleyes:

Miles 1-3 11:20, 11:40, 12:01

I didn’t warm up, which was probably my first mistake. There was a beautiful lull in the wind so I thought - just go before it picks up again. Found the pace quickly enough and it was lovely. All you have to do is hold this, I told myself. Womble Hill and Old Bawn Mountain, were manageable, but not as easy as I’d planned. Throughout the second mile I felt I was working hard, but the watch was stuck on 11:40. I tried to push on and thought I was, but the watch never showed it and I knew then I was screwed. I was in a continuous loop of feeling crap, concentrating on my breathing calming down, getting my head together, feeling crap ad infinitum.

Miles 4-6.21 11:24, 12:21, 11:27, 12:34

This was supposed to be the easy part. The hills were done, all was left was two and a half laps of Whitestown Ind Est. Keeping to the initial pace of 11:20 was impossible. I had no power left, I was breathing so hard and it was so sore. A couple of times I got lightheaded and felt a be jelly legged, and I thought of stopping. I put 12 weeks of work into this and it was so poxy that it was ending like this, no matter what I was not stopping. It was all just about finishing it now. Looked at the watch towards the end of the last mile and saw 1:05. Realising I just had half a mile to go I thought, if a mile was taking me 12 mins, half a mile would be 6 minutes, that would be 1:11. That’s actually not far off the TT. If I pushed, could I get under the 1:10? So I gave it ago, everything I had, which wasn’t much at this point. It wasn’t a sprint finish, just hanging on for dear life to something that resembled movement. Remembering the discussion in the marathon thread yesterday I took out my phone to check it was measuring up with the watch. I had a quarter mile more to do. I am not kidding, I nearly cried :o. I had nothing else left. I honestly thought to hell with it! But kept the head and counted to kept going. It was like the app was on a go slow and finally I looked down and it was all over.

And there endeth the plan. It’s such a shame it ended the way it did. I did skip a couple of runs in the early days, but got my act together. Half way through the plan I felt great. I could easily have run that today in under 1:10 minutes. Something is going on and at least now I have a measure for how things have turned, because I didn’t feel half as bad as I did today in July.

All that said, I’m so glad I followed the plan. Despite today’s result, I am stronger than I was 12 weeks ago. I feel it every day. I’ve moved a few notches in the belt buckle in the right direction and am still alcohol free – 2 months and counting which is mega for me. It means I can’t drown my sorrows though :pac: it’s just a binge session of Schitt’s Creek and a cup of tea for me this evening :D

Thanks everyone for you help, advice and encouragement over the last few weeks.

Good luck to everyone heading out over the weekend, especially those doing the Marathon, it’s mind boggling to think people are out there running a marathon solo in 5k or so loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I meant to pop in here sooner. Sorry to read that you didn't get the result you had worked for. Maybe see about trying again when you're feeling better?

Ah thanks Huzzah. You're very kind. I've been going over it in my mind constantly since trying to work it out, maybe the signs were there that it was going to happen and I just missed/ignored them. The good thing is that I kept going and didn't lose the head! :pac:

I'm going to keep practicing until I get it right.

Sorry you didn't get the result you wanted after your hard work, unfortunately no matter how badly the heart wants it the body/legs just aren't cooperating. I wouldn't really be great at TT's, have been disappointed too but I never give up & you didn't so be proud of that :D

Well done on the belt notches & of course being alcohol free for 2 months! Keep going with your running, you will only get stronger!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Well done on the 12 week's training! That in itself is a super achievement, sorry the day didn't go to plan but as you said you're stronger and you can keep building on that.

So What's next plan wise?

• Advertisement

Thanks AGYR...I had nothing in mind until I saw the Streak Thread earlier. Starting tomorrow I'll do 30 mins (at least) a day for 30 days and that should keep me out of trouble for a bit :D.

Advertisement