Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sony 65" OLED price drop

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭joe199

Looking at the LG
    75UM7110PLB any feedback on it be much appreciated cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

I doubt that warranty would hold up in court. The TV has to perform for a reasonable amount of time and if it can't they shouldn't be selling it

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Right: From the info off this thread yould be mad to go for an OLED.

I’m upgrading this year and am firmly setting my sights on a Nano Cell.

Would be great if someone set up a sticky to deal with issues of new TVs such as IPTV and SAT compatibility, screen issues, sound issues and general performance.

There must be solid recommendations for an Everyman TV ( we’ll to a degree)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Yup, already asking RS for a recommendation here on Nanocell: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058116228

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

FLOOPER wrote: »

Would be great if someone set up a sticky to deal with issues of new TVs such as IPTV and SAT compatibility, screen issues, sound issues and general performance.

Avforums is full of info, what type you should buy etc.
    This thread on last years models, new models ranked closer to black Friday.
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/my-best-value-tvs-2019-2020-edition.2259070/

Don't be buying a new model now, wait until black Friday at least.

Better using another device for apps or anyway than the TVs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

If depends. If your viewing habits are suitable to OLED you won't get a better viewing experience from another TV tech.

This is the pros and cons I'm weighing up. I watch mainly movies and TV shows with some sport. I don't game much and I'm aware that watching CNN for 10 hours per day is a bad idea. If you are willing to babysit it it should be worth it, otherwise it's too risky, I agree.

As mentioned above, I'm sure this dereliction of warranty based on burn in would not hold up in small claims court. Anecdotally there have been people who have had repairs for burn in covered in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Not at all.

You'll usually only hear the bad stuff on internet forums.
    I have the same set as Barr (wonder if he bought it when I posted Curry's bargain price a few years back?). It's been absolutely flawless. Best picture of any tv I've had.
    I haven't babied it, nor have I ragged it. It's been used for hours every day since we bought it. Amazing set.

The way I look at it is this.
    If you buy anything other than an OLED, you're compromising on picture quality.
    If you buy an OLED, you're "compromising" on the possibility of screenburn.

I know what I would (did) do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Soarer wrote: »
    Not at all.

I have the same set as Barr (wonder if he bought it when I posted Curry's bargain price a few years back?). It's been absolutely flawless. Best picture of any tv I've had.
    I haven't babied it, nor have I ragged it. It's been used for hours every day since we bought it. Amazing set.

Hi Soarer , yes that was original oled bargain alert - price was unreal at the time :)

Glad to hear yours is still running without issue. I 100% agree it is an amazing tv .

As mentioned earlier , I still miss the quality of the picture , there is nothing that can beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Basq wrote: »
    ^ Yup, already asking RS for a recommendation here on Nanocell: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058116228

Nice of Joe to jump on your thread there :)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

branners69 wrote: »
    I cant believe OLED suffer from screen burn. I still have a Pioneer plasma which is nearly 15 years old which had the same issue.

I am interested in upgrading to OLED but dont want the screen burn hassle, especially as it isnt covered by the guarantee!!

I moved from a lovely Pioneer Plasma myself to a LG OLED and WOW the OLED is absolutely gorgeous. I could not be happier.

All this talk about burn in reminds me of all the talk about burn in with Plasma TV's in the past.

If you have had a Plasma for 15 years with no burn-in, then it is extremely unlikely that you will experience burn-in with an OLED either.

In particular the newer gen of LG OLED panels seem to hardly suffer from burn-in at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

There are options to enable pixel shift on all the 2019 models except the lg b9.
    It periodically changes pixels to prevent burn in.
    2020 should all have it.

Imho Samsung's led tech is matching oleds but at higher costs.
    Theyre nice. Straight up. The q80,q85 and q90 are fantastic looking.
    I personally found them to have motion blur around objects. I dunno do the professionals call it artifacting.
    Sony have decent led tvs too.
    If you are going into a store it is good to check tvs which have a shared movie or program on. Every tv will look great if it's playing the movie they designed and tailored to look good on it. You won't have this at home.

Disclaimer:2019 oled owner.

If you have a cap on budget of 2k I would probably say get a 1k tv and 1k soundsystem.
    I went 65"tv and will go separate sound system.

Honestly flow if money isn't an obstacle
    Bright room - led tv
    Dark room/evening watcher mostly: oled

Gamer: oled lg c series
    Led: dunno

Movies: oled probably any. Personally got a panasonic.

Audiophile: make sure it had earc if you are using bluerays I only have arc so can't get uncompressed Dolby atmos.
    If you are using netflix/sky this doesn't matter as it doesn't support it. I stream 40-80gb bluerays which they will probably never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Isn’t it still possible to get clouding with qled’s? I never had an lcd/led that didn’t suffer from some level of clouding so I was glad to see the back of them when I got an oled. I’ve had the lg 3 years now with no issues. Superb tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

The one thing to be mindful with regards Samsung is they don't support dolby vision .

If netflix is your thing ,then its a big deal .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Barr wrote: »
    The one thing to be mindful with regards Samsung is they don't support dolby vision .

If netflix is your thing ,then its a big deal .
    Do Samsung support YouTube? They stopped mine 6 months after purchase few years back swear I'll never touch Samsung again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Soarer wrote: »
    Not at all.

I got a great deal with a LG 65" OLED a few years ago from info on Bargain Alerts, I don't baby it. In saying that, I don't play games on it. No burn-in at all on the screen. I wouldn't hesitate getting another to replace a older LCD TV I have if LCD tech hasn't overtaken OLED.
    There are settings people should turn on in the settings of the set, LG mention some of them here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Don't forget oleds get screen burn in not covered by warranty the Sony is 2017 tv here are later models

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-oled-tvs-our-pick-of-the-best-oled-televisions-you-can-buy-today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Just a heads up for the few considering buying an OLED, the price of the LG has dropped a fair bit in the last couple of days. I pulled the trigger on a CX 55 on Thursday. I'm in the UK but it after a quick check it looks like the price in Ireland has dropped also.

About a month ago the CX was 1699GBP, then about 2 weeks ago it went to 1599GBP, then on Thursday it dropped to 1399. You also get free LG earphones at the moment. I'm delighted with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Barr wrote: »
    Folks talking about IPTV , I dont think the smart stb app is available on sony tvs .

Only LG and samsung.

These Sony sets are Android sets so have the Play Store built into them. The likes of STB EMU etc are there for IPTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Also I had a Panasonic plasma for a decade and despite there being a lot of hysteria about screen burn on plasmas I never experienced an issue at all.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Do Samsung support YouTube? They stopped mine 6 months after purchase few years back swear I'll never touch Samsung again

That happened to me with a Panasonic set.

Tis a load of ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

In fairness, it would be YouTube who pulled support for the app, not Samsung or Panasonic

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

I would rather take the hit on the brand name and save a couple of grand.. in HN

AF1QipNoGCAV9p3mrPw5l643gz9heaAVc7aWIE9ltYGJ

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

I would rather take the hit on the brand name and save a couple of grand.. in HN

AF1QipNoGCAV9p3mrPw5l643gz9heaAVc7aWIE9ltYGJ

y35B2R8Ay6F6X0q-eTNSe8p5Owb5tIr2zM5jGZVfLuYyUD4-dAo2HOepuGye9yIwYv7ajtlC7Gwd_AvJncbK7C1oo8Z3xCwk-XhEJ9SuVXDR8g-0obxmgR2kNUXbF1Kk1SIByy333V9EY2YvcboLJBJ85131deFdCpxvEePCrj8V2RptZ1AnnzHoqEBXAwxlkPQcybPn9eSjQclnSOFqQxN-6ISEQIeSSU0ESbbHy0GhFFeFz8lHM8Iiw2yo4TCRcg93d11jvj6M-4-duxH1FfTm4q1yRLjRWfdp8my78vnyYrUDQYugzz53OdlGOFEJDYr3dHDi6wMfAg2c8wVcbQ8ouUowlFGDunwvuo6SGUaYgofZIv-iBoaN_kDMTQbcsRQYuGGhIYk_1ft6VRnopXy3oRqYnWfyQyq3gnip28xcQnSohhHOO4OfxqN1M7jL00js65w7JD7SghuJYnxLQkeaX9S9gjk6w03lMnB-LtpyzTkhYnUZVZhV3vD5P8wDBPx7LFY4DgLAVRUiyzru4rCTbRDsh377R_JTnVF08gMsasYe8se9bfdTMLIA8TzJSQclXunM6vAJMAoHqRhLR2lOJw-RKiHIb_s7k93gdoeEE-IbJscBwaW8W6at5znuTlgoZ-OLTHnAzAgCzVLDz79RziSs-LKYwOTRzCTOsNFAGdlEDKIpkn7749_N3w=w1666-h938-no?authuser=0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

That's not an OLED telly though so not really comparable. There's plenty of non OLED brand name tellys for a much cheaper price too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Not an OLED TV though, and not even a great choice for what it is???? Anyhow I wouldn't be buying outside of the top players in this sector and then living with the consequences for hours every evening.... *

When I mention watching TV for hours daily, of course I mean after I've done some fine art, written poetry, recited from only the very greatest literary works and played semi-professional sports exhaustively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

Just to throw my 2cs in here - I've been an (LG) OLED owner for just over 3 years and haven't had a hint of screenburn. What I have had is incredible visual fidelity, unmatched elsewhere imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

Anyone ever deal with elara? They have great deals on LG OLED's.

Advertisement