Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

eire4 wrote: »
    Not a joke no. Here is the president himself telling voters in North Carolina to vote twice. Granted the president is not a reputable source given he lies so much but in this case no reputable source needed when he is in his own words urging his voters to commit a crime by voting twice.

https://www.reuters.com/video/watch/id718519009

What constitutes electoral fraud in the U.S., or does it vary state-by-state? Is it attempting to vote twice or actually successfully voting twice? If it's the former, Trump's bang to rights, but if it's the latter, then I can see how Trump could technically say he wasn't telling people to commit electoral fraud, but merely 'test the system'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

briany wrote: »
    What constitutes electoral fraud in the U.S., or does it vary state-by-state? Is it attempting to vote twice or actually successfully voting twice? If it's the former, Trump's bang to rights, but if it's the latter, then I can see how Trump could technically say he wasn't telling people to commit electoral fraud, but merely 'test the system'.

But he says

Send in the postal vote, then on election day go to the polling station and ask if your vote has been counted, if it hasn't then you should vote in person

The problem there is their postal vote will not have been counted yet as the election isn't over so they will then vote again. Thats voter fraud and Trump is telling people to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The last subject should be fun, Trump will be a jibbering wreck at that stage and will go off on a rant voicing all of his wild conspiracy theories.

Well provided that Chris Wallace sticks rigidly to the time limits and doesn’t let trump ramble and wonder off like a lost dog(not literally) when asked a question that he can’t or doesn’t want to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

No hope of keeping trump to the time slots.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Thats an issue that has to be resolved.

Allow each candidate a total of x minutes overrun per topic and then cut their mikes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Chris Wallace will be able for him alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

You know something's amiss when America (of all countries) has to have a debate on the integrity of their elections. Latin America must be weeping.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Chris Wallace will be able for him alright.

Well hopefully. I know this would go against free speech probably(well trump and his crowd would claim that) but cut the mics at the time limit. That way both Biden and trump can only ramble so long.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well hopefully. I know this would go against free speech probably(well trump and his crowd would claim that) but cut the mics at the time limit. That way both Biden and trump can only ramble so long.

They wouldn't have a leg to stand on!

1st amendment free speech protections only apply in respect of Government encroachments. In a private setting, such as a well-moderated debate, the rules that have been agreed by the participants can be fully implemented by those in charge on the night with absolutely no rights of 1A redress by the participants.

A properly moderated debate should also prevent any of the participants hulking over the other like a drooling marauder, a stalker and/or a creepy bully. The fact that Trump got away with that behaviour in 2016 in his stalking of Hillary on stage was an absolute disgrace and needs to be dealt with this time!

Mike on for your alloted time... Mess about and run down the clock? Mike off!.. See how well you appear as you shriek and holler in the background like a heckler if you cant behave yourself!

I see two possible realities.

a) The system is secure and duplicates will be uncovered
    b) The system is insecure and open to fraud - proving Trump's point.

Which is it?
    Trump's own campaign couldn't even establish what he was claiming.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/21/trump-campaign-voter-fraud-pennsylvania

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He is, but he never encouraged anyone to commit voter fraud and no one who could be held accountable has accused him of it.

This is something Trump and his entourage benefit from.

They are full of absolute BS. Trump can say something and when he is called on it, excuse it away as hyperbole.

He got Daniel's defamation case dismissed on that basis.

Corsi wasn't pursued as he is all over the place.

Carlson got McDougal's case struck out. On what basis? That people understand and expect bo**ox from him.

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1309337507918741510?s=19

Think about that. Carlson got away with it because people should not believe his show.

Fox news everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

everlast75 wrote: »

Think about that. Carlson got away with it because people should not believe his show.

Fox news everybody.

The US has a big unreasonable person problem. Carlson is watched by millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

The conspiracy theorist Alex Jones did the same thing when brought to court for defamation. One of his legal team's defences was that Jones was really a performance artist. Once you put a lot of these right-wing commentators under proper legal scrutiny, they are exposed for what they often are - s**t stirrers who cannot back up their irresponsible claims.

The US in particular has a big problem with their news - it's become so blended with entertainment that it's impossible to know where one ends and the other begins. Everywhere, the news used to be a man or a woman sitting at a desk. It would come on a couple of times a day and they would dryly report the events of the day with no editorial comment. I'd suggest a wholesale return to that style but the genie's already out of the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

briany wrote: »
    The conspiracy theorist Alex Jones did the same thing when brought to court for defamation. One of his legal team's defences was that Jones was really a performance artist. Once you put a lot of these right-wing commentators under proper legal scrutiny, they are exposed for what they often are - s**t stirrers who cannot back up their irresponsible claims.

The US in particular has a big problem with their news - it's become so blended with entertainment that it's impossible to know where one ends and the other begins. Everywhere, the news used to be a man or a woman sitting at a desk. It would come on a couple of times a day and they would dryly report the events of the day with no editorial comment. I'd suggest a wholesale return to that style but the genie's already out of the bottle.

The elimination of the fairness doctrine is what gave us Fox News and their ilk today.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine

As you say, the genie is out of the bottle.

If there's no audience there'll be no problem.

No audience for Biden Sanders worked and made it a great sober debate. Trump is fupped in this scenario.

No audience for Biden Sanders worked and made it a great sober debate. Trump is fupped in this scenario.

I’m all for no audiences full stop. I remember the debates for the last election here in Ireland and it like clapping seals and it’s distracting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a relevant point for sure. Trump gains power playing to an audience and in the cold glare of an empty studio might struggle to energise himself to parry whatever Biden or the moderators throw at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭eire4

The elimination of the fairness doctrine is what gave us Fox News and their ilk today.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine

As you say, the genie is out of the bottle.

This is just one of the many aspects of the drift of the US since Reagan from being a legitimate democracy towards its current standing (IMHO) as an oligarchy leaning towards been an authoritarian state.

Nah there is no way he will be stopped from.rambling on about various subjects and throwing conspiracy theories around throughout. I'd happily wager it, the man can not be controlled in that manner. Stream of consciousness takes over, not having an audience to feed off will help no doubt but he will talk about Biden and China and Biden and Ukraine and God knows what else throughout.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Nah there is no way he will be stopped from.rambling on about various subjects and throwing conspiracy theories around throughout. I'd happily wager it, the man can not be controlled in that manner. Stream of consciousness takes over, not having an audience to feed off will help no doubt but he will talk about Biden and China and Biden and Ukraine and God knows what else throughout.

I think he can be.

You saw what he was like during the Wallace sit-down.

I reckon he'll lash out ott like the bully he is and then meekly recoil when he doesn't get the response he requires to keep it up.

He's not gonna flap Biden or Wallace. It's gonna be amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think he can be.

You saw what he was like during the Wallace sit-down.

I reckon he'll lash out ott like the bully he is and then meekly recoil when he doesn't get the response he requires to keep it up.

He's not gonna flap Biden or Wallace. It's gonna be amazing.
    Not half as amazing as all Trump fans here who'll claim he did the best debate ever with Trump winning and Biden clearly has alheimzers due to stuttering etc. while making up excuses for all the weird things he said.

Nody wrote: »
    Not half as amazing as all Trump fans here who'll claim he did the best debate ever with Trump winning and Biden clearly has alheimzers due to stuttering etc. while making up excuses for all the weird things he said.

I'm including that in my "amazing" declaration. :)

I dunno, I don't share you confidence in that but I'll be happy to be proven wrong in the event it happens.

trump cannot win the debate on the points, so what else has he got but the usual **** show? The media spend the next few days dissecting and fact checking his nonsense, until that pattern is broken I'll remain skeptical :)

SNF, MNF and then The Debate. It's going to be a very American and a very late night week this week.

It looks like Trump will be nominating Amy Coney Barrett for Supreme Court Justice, according to reports out of the U.S.

The next steps for Joe Biden's campaign need careful consideration. The Supreme Court is one of the topics in next week's debate. Clearly, Coney Barrett's nomination will loom large over that aspect of the debate.

Biden should NOT get into the merits or otherwise of Barrett's candicacy. Whatever issues one might have about a nomination and vote being made in an election year, it would be entirely wrong for him to get into the weeds about her suitability or otherwise for the role; that assessment is a job for the Senate.

Just reading about how US influence in Asia is changing under Trump:

1. South Korea is actively discussing developing a native nuclear defense/offense capability...
    2. Japan is totally at sea with respect to where the US currrently stands regarding China's creation of sovereign territory by pumping sand into coral reefs... Piracy gone totally un- answered!
    3. China is drilling ever further into places like Hong Kong, Kashmir and its internal abuse of Uighurs!

And thats just a sample!

What do they have in common?

TOTAL AND ABSOLUTE ABROGATION OF U.S. RESPONSIBILITIES
    TOTAL AND ABSOLUTE FAILURE TO HELP, INFLUENCE AND/OR ACTUALLY SORT **** OUT!

The republicans are being lined up behind trump parroting him out of one side of their mouth while trying to thread a line with very carefully chosen words out of the other.

They are telling the public what they intend to do, I hope that the American public are listening.

Graham and Pence with the latest lines of crap I've heard regarding the election. I don't think Biden takes the issue as seriously as he should, so I really hope there are people on his team who understand the intent.

trump knows he's losing, everything he is doing now is just his lashing out from a position of weakness. Sending money to PR, making promises he didn't see fit to implement in his first 3.5 years of office etc, he's desperate. When a man with no principles, no morals, is desperate and aware he is fighting for his life that is a very dangerous person.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In the debates Biden has to act Presidential with Trump carrying and failing to burden of the Presidency.

It needs to be a big lead for joe Biden on election night before it’s closed down because if trump is ahead it’ll be like the Monaco Grand Prix the year the race was stopped in the rain with senna catching Prost in that the outcome will be prematurely called.

Also, the talk about Pennsylvania and the GOP legislature ignoring the voters is just noise. It seems all states passed laws years ago to give the voters power and to change that they’d need to pass another law repealing the current one and that has to be signed by the governor who is a democrat in Pennsylvania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Called by whom? Each State when all votes are counted declares its Electors. Not up to Biden, Trump, GOP or Dems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement