Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Always excellent. Never ever seen him do a bad show and he probably never will. Varies his sets from night to night yet so many major tunes that you'll never be short-changed. And reliably brilliant covers - Ewan MacColl, Pogues, Radiators, Richard Thompson, etc.

Been watching him play for 35 years and he's probably the definitive intimate live performer from this island. Long may he reign.

Did you ever hear of Dick Gaughan Seath? Was listening to Christy last night, my two favourites of his solo years was Whatever Tickles Your Fancy from 1975 and Christy Moore (self titled) 1976 both released on the Polydor label. Half of Planxty and half of the Bothy Band guest along with Jimmy Faulkner, Declan Nelis on the recording. On the latter half of the 75 record Moore goes electric and the album has a Horslip's feel. Seen Christy numerous times at the Picnic (2008, 2012 - glimpses from the Little Big Tent as I was also watching Richie Hawtin whilst Christy was doing Lisdoonvarna, the Crawdaddy tent lovely and huge and you could still see from LBT well into the apertures of the tent and also appreciate that gig.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Did you ever hear of Dick Gaughan Seath? Was listening to Christy last night, my two favourites of his solo years was Whatever Tickles Your Fancy from 1975 and Christy Moore (self titled) 1976 both released on the Polydor label. Half of Planxty and half of the Bothy Band guest along with Jimmy Faulkner, Declan Nelis on the recording. On the latter half of the 75 record Moore goes electric and the album has a Horslip's feel. Seen Christy numerous times at the Picnic (2008, 2012 - glimpses from the Little Big Tent as I was also watching Richie Hawtin whilst Christy was doing Lisdoonvarna, the Crawdaddy tent lovely and huge and you could still see from LBT well into the apertures of the tent and also appreciate that gig.

I've listened to a bit of Dick Gaughan but not enough BD. Introduced to him about twenty years ago by an ex-girlfriend with a Scottish background. Bert Jansch the other Scot she led me to. That's my listening for today sorted, those two and Doves. Hope you're well BD.

I've listened to a bit of Dick Gaughan but not enough BD. Introduced to him about twenty years ago by an ex-girlfriend with a Scottish background. Bert Jansch the other Scot she led me to. That's my listening for today sorted, those two and Doves. Hope you're well BD.

I'm doing grand dude getting fed up busking to the same trad albums on ipod, found my old mp3 player but can't find connector to computer so I can put more trad onto player. My itunes and Copy Transfer Manager won't add tracks to the ipod classic anymore so need another device to have a broader selection. Also listen to Dougie Maclean, Brian McNeil, Battlefield Band, Ossian there's also Oisin which was the pre-Dervish group, Boys of the Lough and the Tannahil Weavers for kickass Scottish trad. Also check out Shooglenifty who married techno to the trad sensibility and also crossed over with the Afro Celt Soundsystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Shooglenifty who married techno to the trad sensibility and also crossed over with the Afro Celt Soundsystem.

Hz3VAof.gif

I'm doing grand dude getting fed up busking to the same trad albums on ipod, found my old mp3 player but can't find connector to computer so I can put more trad onto player. My itunes and Copy Transfer Manager won't add tracks to the ipod classic anymore so need another device to have a broader selection. Also listen to Dougie Maclean, Brian McNeil, Battlefield Band, Ossian there's also Oisin which was the pre-Dervish group, Boys of the Lough and the Tannahil Weavers for kickass Scottish trad. Also check out Shooglenifty who married techno to the trad sensibility and also crossed over with the Afro Celt Soundsystem.

That's a fair bit of homework you've given me there BD. Feedback at EP 2021.
    And Dick Gaughan much better than I'd previously thought. Can't see him playing EP in the future but possibly Doolin or some other some folk fest over here.

You back gigging in Galway?

• Advertisement

That's a fair bit of homework you've given me there BD. Feedback at EP 2021.
    And Dick Gaughan much better than I'd previously thought. Can't see him playing EP in the future but possibly Doolin or some other some folk fest over here.

You back gigging in Galway?

No gigs as yet, just busking. No, sadly Dick Gaughan retired from the spotlight he was touring Ireland a few years back, was playing a gig up in Mayo and he was due to play Galway the night after but suffered a heart attack in Mayo. He might just do the very rare gig or TV appearance as a contributor, he used to be fairly active on the internet with his own website, but it seems to be gone at the moment.

There seems to be plenty of clips of him in Youtube and he does have a rake of albums too.

Some great stuff here on Sat 3rd August (10pm to 1am WET) - Chuck Prophet, Steve Earle, Boz Skaggs, Emmylou Harris, Buddy Miller, etc. And many more I'd love to see on a proper stage but until then.....

http://https://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/

One for BD, Endainoz?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭endainoz

Some great stuff here on Sat 3rd August (10pm to 1am WET) - Chuck Prophet, Steve Earle, Boz Skaggs, Emmylou Harris, Buddy Miller, etc. And many more I'd love to see on a proper stage but until then.....

http://https://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/?fbclid=IwAR0xqF9f5eztQcILdU-yymAatpvGCvLtoayfAtBSqJwqUeg3D_pXQ6mSSSo

One for BD, Endainoz?

Link not working for me?

endainoz wrote: »
    Link not working for me?

Try it now, some issue with formatting.

Try it now, some issue with formatting.

Interesting, happy to say I'm going to a real gig tonight, Cormac Begley and Ye Vagabonds in Glòr. Should be fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

You're a lucky man getting to all these intimate gigs lately!
    Ye Vagabonds are fantastic

You're a lucky man getting to all these intimate gigs lately!
    Ye Vagabonds are fantastic

Happy to get the chance to go to them alright! Glòr have a policy of having to wear a mask for the entire performance even though we'll be all distanced but I guess it's a small price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Good to see EP regular Michael Kiwanuka pick up the Mercury prize, hopefully we get to see him again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Good to see EP regular Michael Kiwanuka pick up the Mercury prize, hopefully we get to see him again.

Think he is due to play the Trinity Series next summer

Think he is due to play the Trinity Series next summer

Mon 28 June, straight after Glasto so he'll be there. And a pretty prominent slot after that win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭rubick

24 Hours With The King of Snake...

Technological beatsmiths and Stradbally irregulars Underworld with a new range of fully wearable garmets for the discerning field bopper, celebrating the something-or-other anniversary of the seminal peak time classic 'King of Snake'! Available for 5 days.

https://store.underworldlive.com/collections/king-of-snake-limited-drop?_ga=2.74142866.1017154024.1601034134-207214887.1601034134

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Mon 28 June, straight after Glasto so he'll be there. And a pretty prominent slot after that win.

Any update on glasto?

Interestingly Trinity Immunologist Luke O'Neill said we're a couple of months away from cheap (€0.70), accurate, "do it at home" test kit called detector, results within an hour. He said something like it could be available to the entire population all at once, almost everyday if you like.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/covid-19-tests-daily-luke-oneill-1080842

Forget the vaccine, this would be a game changer!!

Will believe it when I see it, as one of the comments said: will this also apply for Ticketmasters reselling sites?

Ticket touts face €100k fine and up to two years imprisonment under proposed new laws https://jrnl.ie/5218144

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Togglename

Would that were true but it’s gonna be a while longer than that I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Went to see Denise Chaila tonight, unbelievable gig, she has an amazing stage presence and will be a star, the show was stolen by her DJ/Producer though, I think he's called Marley, he just oozed personality and will be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Ah Lads...................................

I had two more gigs to go to over the next two weekends. Not a hope they'll be on now.....Ah well I got to see a few over the summer I suppose.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Was listening to newstalk on the radio earlier, and they said that coming up in the next hour was blah blah blah nphet, blah blah blah leaving cert, and "should musicians give up their careers and get other jobs because of covid".

However bad a year without gigs is for us festival goers, and it is pretty bad, this year must've been awful for bands - whether they are the big multi million euro touring groups who employ 100 people each, the mid sized bad that was just about to break the UK or the small band who had gotten their first, albeit unpaid, slot on a wet Saturday afternoon in a side stage of EP.

That's on top of it already being fairly miserable for bands at the moment anyway due to the drop in record sales.

So hopefully we are back to normal again next year!

Well this was my only music tee shirt this year and celebrates the life of Toots Hibbert, a victim of this fecking pandemic, but I couldn't resist it seems to be a lovingly done screen print.

77-toots-hibbert-1942-2020-toots-and-the-maytals-thank-you-for-the-memories-signature-shirt-Shirt.jpg

Was listening to newstalk on the radio earlier, and they said that coming up in the next hour was blah blah blah nphet, blah blah blah leaving cert, and "should musicians give up their careers and get other jobs because of covid".

However bad a year without gigs is for us festival goers, and it is pretty bad, this year must've been awful for bands - whether they are the big multi million euro touring groups who employ 100 people each, the mid sized bad that was just about to break the UK or the small band who had gotten their first, albeit unpaid, slot on a wet Saturday afternoon in a side stage of EP.

That's on top of it already being fairly miserable for bands at the moment anyway due to the drop in record sales.

So hopefully we are back to normal again next year!

Yeah let's hope so, did many here take refunds offered for the gigs/festivals that they had tickets for? I didn't bother taking any, but I'm lucky enough to be in the position to not need it yet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Yeah let's hope so, did many here take refunds offered for the gigs/festivals that they had tickets for? I didn't bother taking any, but I'm lucky enough to be in the position to not need it yet.

None, and I live in constant dread that they will be reassigned to evenings that don't suit! That's the only thing in the world that I am worried about, at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I got a refund for maybe a dozen gigs. The only one I didn't get a refund for is the Picnic.

Things should be back operating this time next year, but back to the way they were pre-covid? i'm not so sure.

It'll be interesting to see how ticket sales go once we're back up and running.
    A few of my mates are the same as me, in that we now magically have money left, come the end of the month, and the credit card bills are cleared, or almost cleared.
    I'm sure the session moths will be thinking the same, and it'll be interesting to see if it'll be business as usual, or if people will just pick and choose the gigs they really want to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I got a refund for maybe a dozen gigs. The only one I didn't get a refund for is the Picnic.

Things should be back operating this time next year, but back to the way they were pre-covid? i'm not so sure.

It'll be interesting to see how ticket sales go once we're back up and running.
    A few of my mates are the same as me, in that we now magically have money left, come the end of the month, and the credit card bills are cleared, or almost cleared.
    I'm sure the session moths will be thinking the same, and it'll be interesting to see if it'll be business as usual, or if people will just pick and choose the gigs they really want to go to.

i feel the opposite, i want to go to everything now...this pandemic has just made me realise how much going to gigs and festivals is really part of me and what i just adore. And il never moan about EP line up ever ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭rubick

Likely would have been on our last few shows of the year. The LCD gig from the Olympia three night run popped up on my Facebook memories a few weeks back. We'd have been in the capital at least three or for times throughout the year for gigs, never mind regular outings to Belfast or Derry. Has been a tradition for the past few years that Andy Weatherall did a night in Dublin around Nov/Dec. It's really quite staggering how much the world has changed in 12 months.

• Advertisement

I took a refund for the Bad Seeds but nothing else. At present able to afford it and the Galway Arts Festival/Roisin Dubh/Leisureland/Monroe's promoters had asked people to leave the money there if possible. The cash we leave resting with them could save an awful lot of businesses, not easily done for most people but when possible it's essential to ensure a non-corporate gigging future in this country.

Advertisement