Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Foxtrol wrote: »
    If anything I found the opposite of the bold, on 'substance' it hit deeper themes than most MCU and developed one of the best villians. On 'style', the CGI and fight scenes on the other hand were poor.

On your larger point, I'm again looking at things from the opposite perspective. MCU hit its peak with the last Avengers movies and now is rebuilding. It'll be slow and they won't see the same box office returns but you don't get the pay off for huge cross overs unless you take your time and build to it, see Justice League for how that goes wrong.

Yes, I'm similarly keen for Thor and Spiderman sequels but I'm more interested in the MCU characters I've barely heard of in phase 4 and then seeing Marvel's take on properties that their getting their hands on for the first time in the MCU, F4, X-universe, and Blade.

Looking back to 2013, I was much more looking forward to seeing the Iron Man and Thor sequels than the GOTG that I never heard of (how can they have a talking racoon in the world of Captain America?). How wrong I was.

I love the "classic" Avengers and would keep watching the return for more movies until the end of days but I'm also excited for the rebuilding and to see the chapters in Marvel that I know little or nothing about. It feels a bit of like how it felt in the early days of the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Foxtrol wrote: »
    If anything I found the opposite of the bold, on 'substance' it hit deeper themes than most MCU and developed one of the best villians. On 'style', the CGI and fight scenes on the other hand were poor.

On your larger point, I'm again looking at things from the opposite perspective. MCU hit its peak with the last Avengers movies and now is rebuilding. It'll be slow and they won't see the same box office returns but you don't get the pay off for huge cross overs unless you take your time and build to it, see Justice League for how that goes wrong.

Yes, I'm similarly keen for Thor and Spiderman sequels but I'm more interested in the MCU characters I've barely heard of in phase 4 and then seeing Marvel's take on properties that their getting their hands on for the first time in the MCU, F4, X-universe, and Blade.

Looking back to 2013, I was much more looking forward to seeing the Iron Man and Thor sequels than the GOTG that I never heard of (how can they have a talking racoon in the world of Captain America?). How wrong I was.

Black panther didn't suck me in like the other Marvel movies, I found myself contemplating what was wrong with the movie while watching it, but then again that's my personal experience of it.

Phase 4 just doesn't inspire that feeling of looking forward to anything Marvel because 4 seems so disjointed and nothing that I can see to build towards.

For individual movies, phase 5 for me has more promise. Blade has always been a fav of mine, so I'm interested to see where the reboot goes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Black Panther was an interesting change of pace in being a new location with some basic court intrigue as its driving force rather than cosmic or global catastrophe. The characters were a bit thin but there was enough to drive a decent story of isolationism Vs duty Vs reparations Vs revenge. It wasn't flawless but had a bit more inside its heart than (say) Dr Strange, which is one of the worst and laziest MCU films of the bunch IMO.

Phase 4 doesn't interest at all. I've a vague idea of who the new characters are and what their deal is from the comics - and none either appeal or interest. Now to be fair, Guardians showed Marvel have the ability to take their C List roster and spin gold - but that was also in part down to James Gunns irreverent humour and talent. The material has to be in the right hands and I'm seeing nothing that makes me think the latest directors will bring anything as creative. Captain Marvel was inert, a film more interested in self congratulation than telling a coherent story, boring to look at and boring to watch.

But bar the X-Men, marvel are down to their D List stable, with phase 1s line up gone. They not coincidentally were the most mainstream familiar characters. Spider-Man is still around of course but he's not leader material. And lord knows where the Avengers goes having literally put the universe in danger with Infinity War. Can't really escalate a threat beyond that - unless it goes the other way and does a story of the Sentinels or something X-Men related.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

pixelburp wrote: »
    Black Panther was an interesting change of pace in being a new location with some basic court intrigue as its driving force rather than cosmic or global catastrophe. The characters were a bit thin but there was enough to drive a decent story of isolationism Vs duty Vs reparations Vs revenge. It wasn't flawless but had a bit more inside its heart than (say) Dr Strange, which is one of the worst and laziest MCU films of the bunch IMO.

Phase 4 doesn't interest at all. I've a vague idea of who the new characters are and what their deal is from the comics - and none either appeal or interest. Now to be fair, Guardians showed Marvel have the ability to take their C List roster and spin gold - but that was also in part down to James Gunns irreverent humour and talent. The material has to be in the right hands and I'm seeing nothing that makes me think the latest directors will bring anything as creative. Captain Marvel was inert, a film more interested in self congratulation than telling a coherent story, boring to look at and boring to watch.

But bar the X-Men, marvel are down to their D List stable, with phase 1s line up gone. They not coincidentally were the most mainstream familiar characters. Spider-Man is still around of course but he's not leader material. And lord knows where the Avengers goes having literally put the universe in danger with Infinity War. Can't really escalate a threat beyond that - unless it goes the other way and does a story of the Sentinels or something X-Men related.

There is the Skrulls and the Kree. Far from shows there something coming with them.

After that there is Galactus. And Kang's time travel shenanigans.

That is three "saga" villains.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Samuel L. Jackson to Star in Nick Fury Series in Works at Disney+
    Samuel L. Jackson could be strapping on that eyepatch for a while longer: Disney+ is reportedly developing a series centered on Jackson’s MCU character, Nick Fury, with Jackson on board to reprise the role.

As sources told our sister publication Variety, Kyle Bradstreet (Mr. Robot, Berlin Station) will write and executive-produce the project. Plot details, however, are currently being kept under wraps, and Disney+ has not commented on Variety‘s report.

Jackson made his first appearance as S.H.I.E.L.D. leader Nick Fury in 2008’s Iron Man, which served as the inaugural film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He has since popped up in numerous Marvel movies, including The Avengers (in which Fury is responsible for gathering the titular group of superheroes), Captain Marvel (which found Fury teaming up with Brie Larson’s title character) and, most recently, the 2019 flick Spider-Man: Far From Home.

The character has also jumped to the small screen before, by way of two Season 1 episodes of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Disney+’s potential Nick Fury series is one of several Marvel projects on the streamer’s slate, along with WandaVision, premiering in late 2020 (watch trailer); The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic; Loki, starring Tom Hiddleston; and She-Hulk, which recently cast Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany in the title role.

https://tvline.com/2020/09/25/samuel-l-jackson-nick-fury-series-disney-plus-marvel/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Samuel L. Jackson to Star in Nick Fury Series in Works at Disney+

https://tvline.com/2020/09/25/samuel-l-jackson-nick-fury-series-disney-plus-marvel/

Given the credit scene I'm thinking they might go Agent of S.W.O.R.D route. It could allow them to also bring in Quake given how AoS ended and set up the ground work for Captain Marvel 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Agents is never crossing over, I've resigned myself to this. Better to think that way instead of the eternal longing lol.

Hmmm, Disney might like to consider throttling these MCU shows. How many we up to now, including announced or finished? Seems like the service is banking heavily on the universe's lasting appeal for its new programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

There is the Skrulls and the Kree. Far from shows there something coming with them.

After that there is Galactus. And Kang's time travel shenanigans.

That is three "saga" villains.

I'd be hoping we get Doctor Doom as the Thanos level multi phase villain. He's Marvel's best villain imo.

Maybe introduce him in a post credit of Doctor Strange, and then hopefully have a full Fantastic Four film in phase 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I'd love to see Galactus done properly as the next big threat down the line.. Exactly how thanks was built up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I thought that was Brie Larson

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I thought that was Brie Larson

She’s captain marvel.

Ms marvel is a completely different character.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Except when the current Captain Marvel was Ms Marvel. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Except when the current Captain Marvel was Ms Marvel. :)

Shazam? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Which is the one Rogue takes her powers from...?

Captain marvel and Ms Marvel have different powers?

I should Google...

Shazam? :pac:

What? He was never Captain Marvel. you're clearly misinformed. Are you trying to say the retconned him to Shazam? (Shhhh, Marvel may be reading and try to sue) :) Nah, sure he's one of the former Captain Marvels, before the previous Ms Marvel dumped her black swimsuit to become the current Captain Marvel to be replaced by the current Ms Marvel.
    Not at all confusing. :pac:

Which is the one Rogue takes her powers from...?

Captain marvel and Ms Marvel have different powers?

I should Google...

That's Carol Danvers when she was Ms Marvel.
    the new versions only happened in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Doctor Strange will serve as the mentor to Tom Holland’s SpiderMan, in the absence of the late Tony Stark

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/tatiana-maslany-says-she-is-not-playing-she-hulk.html

Of course it could be a way to avoid answering questions until it's official.

• Advertisement

I hope it's not true and Maslany is indeed the main star; if only 'cos whoever IS cast might find themselves immediately on the backfoot in terms of appeal and fan feedback. Unless it's someone who rates even better on announcement...

Seems Alison Brie is someone people online liked for the role.
    But then remember people who complained Hugh Jackman was too tall for Wolverine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I wonder if they're taking the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferringo approach, that could be kinda fun. Is She-Hulk a separate personality like Banner and Hulk?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I wonder if they're taking the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferringo approach, that could be kinda fun. Is She-Hulk a separate personality like Banner and Hulk?

AFAIK, as I'm not that familiar with the character, she Hulk is perfectly sapient and intelligent so yeah, maybe Maslany is simply playing the cheeky pedant. That she's merely playing the "normal" character

• Registered Users Posts: 37,758 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully we get a Moon Knight series

Could we see
    Namour kill Black Panther ?

Just looking at the current time scale for releases from Black Widow to Captain Marvel 2

If everything gets back to some kind of normal and the schedule stays there will be a MCU release every 10 weeks or so the biggest gap being 4 months before Eternals.

Black Widow May 07, 2021

Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings July 09, 2021

Eternals Nov 05, 2021

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3 Dec 17, 2021

Thor: Love And Thunder Feb 11, 2022

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness Mar 25, 2022

Black Panther 2 May 06, 2022

Captain Marvel 2 July 08, 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Just looking at the current time scale for releases from Black Widow to Captain Marvel 2

If everything gets back to some kind of normal and the schedule stays there will be a MCU release every 10 weeks or so the biggest gap being 4 months before Eternals.

Black Widow May 07, 2021

Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings July 09, 2021

Eternals Nov 05, 2021

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3 Dec 17, 2021

Thor: Love And Thunder Feb 11, 2022

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness Mar 25, 2022

Black Panther 2 May 06, 2022

Captain Marvel 2 July 08, 2022

They'll modify the schedule for the ones further out as needed, there's no point changing everything until they know when they can get at least 1 release in place.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings wrapped production today in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

What's that 3 films in the can now? I really hope they see sense and test the waters with an MCU film on Disney Plus. Just put Black Widow on it and see how many people pay the "premium" to watch it.

Given the hit WB took on Tenet what have they got to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

A vaccine is just around the corner. I’m hopeful we’ll be back up and running by next summer. Hopefully there’ll be no need to dump anything else onto streaming before it’s had its run in cinema.

Advertisement