Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart Trainer options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Probably the Wahoo kicker because of the good reputation, I know little about the other though. Two of my friends My friends have One and they think it’s great, I rode on it as a try out but as a newbie myself I wouldn’t really know the difference between a great turbo and just a good one

Cassette ? Have you considered the Elite Suito ? Come with a block and Shimano 105 11-25t ? German website bike discount was selling them for less then €650 including 11 quid postage . Got one myself and it came via dpd within 4 working days .

I’m not entirely crazy about the block That comes with the Suito ,as it seems to slip across the floor a little if I turn the wheel and I’m a little nervous to do standing work due to it (no doubt I’m doing something wrong) . So far so good ,but again, others will have a better idea as to what’s good or not

The specs are here just in case .

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/elite-suito-887354

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Probably the Wahoo kicker because of the good reputation, I know little about the other though. Two of my friends My friends have One and they think it’s great, I rode on it as a try out but as a newbie myself I wouldn’t really know the difference between a great turbo and just a good one

Cassette ? Have you considered the Elite Suito ? Come with a block and Shimano 105 11-25t ? German website bike discount was selling them for less then €650 including 11 quid postage . Got one myself and it came via dpd within 4 working days .

I’m not entirely crazy about the block That comes with the Suito ,as it seems to slip across the floor a little if I turn the wheel and I’m a little nervous to do standing work due to it (no doubt I’m doing something wrong) . So far so good ,but again, others will have a better idea as to what’s good or not

The specs are here just in case .

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/elite-suito-887354

Thanks RA. I was looking at the Elite Suito as comes with cassette but I can see it is a 11 speed but my bike is a 10 speed so would that cause an issue? I assume probably just means I won’t be able to use the extra gear but won’t want to damage my current gears on the bike.

If I buy a cassette for the trainer is it easy to pop on?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

bazermc wrote: »
    Thanks RA. I was looking at the Elite Suito as comes with cassette but I can see it is a 11 speed but my bike is a 10 speed so would that cause an issue? I assume probably just means I won’t be able to use the extra gear but won’t want to damage my current gears on the bike.

Yes, it should be grand With the Suito , just have your usual tools to remove the cassette . I am certain that there are a few YouTube videos on it .

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/12/elite-suito-smart-trainer-in-depth-review.html

There’s very little prep work needed. Just adjust the legs to make it even on the floor and pop on the bike with the quick release provided (there are bits for the thru axel bikes too)

As I said, I am not crazy about the block that comes with the trainer. There’s no grip on the bottom of it ,and I’m rather nervous to go too hard or the bike might snap off. Definitely going to get a block - raiser with grip . Also, I like to turn the wheels a little so might get either of the elite steering block raisers - not necessarily for Zwift though, just to feel secure and make the ride on the turbo a little more normal

If you are thinking of the Suito over the wahoo, have a look at user reviews , bear in mind earlier in the year the Suito got bad rep by they have since brought in an update ,so problems are fixed . D.C. rainmaker reviewed it pre and post update

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Jimbo789

bazermc wrote: »

The shifting won’t be smooth if you are using an 11 speed cassette on a 10 speed bike.

The trainers usually come with a 1.85m spacer. You need to use this and also the 1mm spacer that comes with the cassette for fitting a 10 speed cassette on a 11 speed freehub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've just sold my Tacx Flux so I'm in the market for a new trainer although not in a rush as I haven't used it since lockdown and quite enjoyed my rainy ride yesterday.

Elite Direto XR and Wahoo Kickr Core look to be the two best options in the mid to high price range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Damm the LifeLine is back up to full price on Wiggle, should have got it last week when it was reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Try bike24.de they sometimes have deep discounts on b grade customer returns. I missed an opportunity to get a top of the line turbo down by 35% as it had a few scratches. I ended up paying full price for a wahoo calamity. Wahoo kicked is good though (super quiet)

Advertisement