Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Fair play to them and I think it will really lift people's spirits

I knw the standard won't be what it is normally for championship but its better that sweet FA

Been interesting to see what will happen regards the 2021 season

Saw an article and the general gist was very much wait and see how this year goes first and cross next year's bridge when they come it it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Saw an article and the general gist was very much wait and see how this year goes first and cross next year's bridge when they come it it.

If Waterford win the hurling then we will still be drunk going into next year's league ha

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Bonniedog wrote: »
    :confused:

Is this English?

Five people died in hospital from the virus yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Level 2 allows 200 supporters.

If we actually get to level 2 before Christmas, I wonder will they tweak this for larger venues. 200 fans is kind of pointless, more trouble than it's worth...

Edit: I just realised we are in level 2, bar Dublin and Donegal. So I suppose what I meant was will they permit slightly larger crowds if and when we get to the business end of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

If we actually get to level 2 before Christmas, I wonder will they tweak this for larger venues. 200 fans is kind of pointless, more trouble than it's worth...

Edit: I just realised we are in level 2, bar Dublin and Donegal. So I suppose what I meant was will they permit slightly larger crowds if and when we get to the business end of the championship.

And the majority of GAA grounds are actually failing to manage 200 supporters at the moment. I have been in the lucky position to be at matches this year. All of the matches I have attended has seen people congregate together. So while I get the point of "200 supporters in 1 10K capacity stadium is silly", the GAA need to start showing they are capable of doing this.

This situation might be improving as the matches I watched online this weekend looked a bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Five people died in hospital from the virus yesterday.

Did they?

Five people's deaths were notified yesterday, it doesn't mean they died yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭threeball

And the majority of GAA grounds are actually failing to manage 200 supporters at the moment. I have been in the lucky position to be at matches this year. All of the matches I have attended has seen people congregate together. So while I get the point of "200 supporters in 1 10K capacity stadium is silly", the GAA need to start showing they are capable of doing this.

This situation might be improving as the matches I watched online this weekend looked a bit better.

You're 100% correct on this. I've been to matches and went and sat in a section on my own and had people that I didn't know come and sit next to me (in front or behind) even though the stand was empty and I wasn't sitting in the prime viewing point. Once you pass the gate its a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

threeball wrote: »
    You're 100% correct on this. I've been to matches and went and sat in a section on my own and had people that I didn't know come and sit next to me (in front or behind) even though the stand was empty and I wasn't sitting in the prime viewing point. Once you pass the gate its a free for all.

Only place I've seen it being done properly was down in Nowlan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

threeball wrote: »

From what I have seen over the past few months going to underage games, and in other places in society, is that people just cannot seem to cop on to the whole idea of social distancing and people just huddle together is the same places completely ignorant of the fact that staying further apart reduces the chances of any spread.

Just like the poster quoted encountered, the stand may be empty but they will still site next to where others are sitting.

Same at the underage games, the whole sideline of the field is available for the few parents or siblings that are there to spread out across
    But no, they will all huddle in the one spot in in the stand.

The GAA will have to put spikes on seats for the championship if they are going to stop people huddling together, because joe public is too thick to figure it out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

From what I have seen over the past few months going to underage games, and in other places in society, is that people just cannot seem to cop on to the whole idea of social distancing and people just huddle together is the same places completely ignorant of the fact that staying further apart reduces the chances of any spread.

Just like the poster quoted encountered, the stand may be empty but they will still site next to where others are sitting.

Same at the underage games, the whole sideline of the field is available for the few parents or siblings that are there to spread out across

The GAA will have to put spikes on seats for the championship if they are going to stop people huddling together, because joe public is too thick to figure it out for themselves.

I think if the GAA came out and told people if they didn't socially distance fans would be banned from stadiums again, I think most of them would cop on. People were slow to get with the mask thing for a long time, but now nearly everyone's doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

They are certainly showing a high level of stupidity and if that behaviour continues into the Championship with bigger attendances NEPHET will recommend all games to be played behind closed doors. Properly organised we could get a few thousand into grounds but not with this "don't give a****e " approach. The GAA will get the blame for increased infections in the same way the Cheltenham gang were blamed. The taxpayer is subsidising this years Championship so the Government needs to be kept on side

So we're into intercounty championship month

Hard to believe were saying that for October

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

I see Niall Morgan, the Tyrone keeper doesn't think the championship should go ahead.

I see Niall Morgan, the Tyrone keeper doesn't think the championship should go ahead.

Players choice if they want to play this year or not

Other sports are playing there leagues with little to no trouble regarding the virus

I knw a lot of people here don't want it played cause of the time of year and that .

I'm all for it been played and its up to the GAA to protect squads/management/refs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

With the situation in the North, I think chances of a championship are diminishing fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

crossman47 wrote: »
    With the situation in the North, I think chances of a championship are diminishing fast.
    I think it will still go ahead irrespective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

billyhead wrote: »
    I think it will still go ahead irrespective.

It would be an interesting predicament for the GAA if a lockdown was announced in the North but not in the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It would be an interesting predicament for the GAA if a lockdown was announced in the North but not in the South.

"We are all in it together"

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

For the Gaelic it would cause problems if Northern Ireland was locked down but not an issue for running off the Liam McCarthy .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

BloodyBill wrote: »
    For the Gaelic it would cause problems if Northern Ireland was locked down but not an issue for running off the Liam McCarthy .

Antrim says hello.

Antrim says hello.

Aren't they in the Joe McDonagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Antrim says hello.

They can say it all they want, it won't get them into the Liam mccarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

If the current trends persist the country will likely move to level 4 lockdown which will spell the end of the championship or at the very least delay it's commencement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

seligehgit wrote: »
    If the current trends persist the country will likely move to level 4 lockdown which will spell the end of the championship or at the very least delay it's commencement.

According to the Governments plan, level 4 sports are treated the same as level 3 just behind closed doors.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the government row back on that however.

According to the Governments plan, level 4 sports are treated the same as level 3 just behind closed doors.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the government row back on that however.

Mea culpa.

I browsed it again.

Ta an ceart agat.:)

I'd still be shocked all the same if the championship was not at the very least postponed and more than likely cancelled if the current trends continue irrespective of whether the games can be played behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

PTH2009 wrote:
    Thats the championship gone now, ****ing *****

Tweet unavailable.

What did it say?

• Advertisement

Tweet unavailable.

What did it say?

Nationwide levdl 4 incoming.

Advertisement