Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hades (PC and Switch)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I changed from controller to mouse & kb and its so much better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh lordy do I hate those mini chariots. About the closest thing to the joy being sucked out of a chamber.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished my first complete run there (well, first complete run since the game ended before Elysium) and what a thrill it was.

To call it a perfect run would be underestimating the insanity of the boons that started flowing. Actually started off very strangely with a legendary boon in the very first corridor... only thing was it was the boon that increases the chance of a fishing spot :pac: Suffice to say plenty of fish were caught on the ascent.

First couple of chambers were just standard darkness and coin chambers - to the point when I was starting to wonder if the run would be a write-off. But I then got a hammer which transformed my special into a powerful charge attack (I was using the fists). At the same time I got a Chaos chamber which gave me a super powerful boost on the special as well... just meant it was out of action first for four encounters (which turned out to be the entirety of the first floor). Luckily then got a boon which powered up my attack and added chill as well, so it was an easy enough push through the Fury.

From there it was a straight run to the top. The RNG was extremely kind - got a whole bunch of boons that powered up every aspect of Zagreus - a laser cast, a powerful rare call etc... But it was just the special that kept on building - got to the point where special kills were healing Zagreus and got an insane legendary boon that powered up the special by 190% (!) + inflicted chill. By this stage chill was creating a bunch of random blasts as it stacked and causing lasting damage to any character inflicted. All that plus a boon that shot out a whole bunch of homing missiles when I landed any kind of damage :p

There was a Thanatos contest near the end that I won by something like 25 to 4 (achievement popped because of it). Pummeled my way through all the optional chambers on the last floor just because the risk was so low, even though I found the exit item in the second chamber.
    Hades still hit hard
    , but got there with a death defy to spare. There's actually a
    really cool, sweet ending after it all

But yeah, that was 45 of the most thrilling minutes of gaming I can recall. Just every system in the game coming together in perfect harmony. Can't say enough good things about the game on the whole, TBH - it's the rare rogue-lite where the act of playing is sufficient enough to justify a run. It doesn't matter if it ends early or RNG isn't in your favour - just the flow of the combat is up there with the absolute very best the medium has had to offer. Hell, it's up there with the best Nintendo games or something like Bayonetta: games that simply have been polished to perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Got through my first proper run there , with the rail of all things, got super lucky with the boons. Melted the last boss. Doesn't seem like the
    end though , seems like have to do a few runs to get the full story

I have to say this is one of the best games ive ever played.
    Like johnny_ultimate i cant say enough good things about the game.
    Its rare to find magical gameplay but this definitely falls into that category.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Does anyone else find themselves plowing all your upgrades into one attack if possible? I barely use the attack that uses the red diamond at all. My regular attacks outclass it fairly quickly and I don't have to reload my regular attacks.

I don't think I've ever used them TBH. The upgrades seem better used on the main weapons and when I have dabbled just left me with a feeling of meh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve maxed out the cast mirror abilities, and still find it the least useful of the abilities. But I do like the ones that fire a laser.

I’ve finished four runs now, and find the interesting balance to be trying to find a build that’s powerful against bosses *and* normal enemies. Have had some that mow through normal ones, and then hit a wall with the Minotaur. Starting to think the abilities that push through armour, while powerful, are fairly limited when you get to the tough bosses.

Finished with a spear build yesterday that struck the perfect balance - managed to finish without any death defies used (had literally one hp left at the end :pac:) as it was great against bosses.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Made it to the final boss 3 times so far, but struggling to do much damage....
    What starting trinket would you recommend?

I've been either going Zeus and the switching to the tooth before the second or third stage, or Athena for a deflect boon at the start.

Made it to the final boss 3 times so far, but struggling to do much damage....
    What starting trinket would you recommend?

I've been either going Zeus and the switching to the tooth before the second or third stage, or Athena for a deflect boon at the start.

I like the Eternal Rose one for Aphrodite, makes curses and weakness really potent.

Is there any benefit to maxing out the hearts from giving the nectar to one specific character? I know of the trinkets you get for the first giving, but what about after and the maximum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Gotta say I'm loving this. Only picked it up when it released on the switch Sui still early days. Think I've gotten about 10 runs only and haven't killed Meg yet.

Are there any general tips that you should do? I'm a bit scattergun with power ups and gifts etc. So far finding the sword and shield the best weapons. About to unlock the spear so will give that a chance.

A few general tips based on the last couple of posts:

All the weapons are formidable, but I’d recommend fists (second form particularly if you can unlock it) and spear as the ones most likely to give you a powerful build quickly.

You should ALWAYS go to a chamber which has a hammer upgrade or the one with the exclamation mark stone (there is a bit of RNG when it comes to the latter, but still usually worth it).

If there’s an early Chaos gate, take the hit. The upgrade is likely worth it.

The trinket which gives you extra life is incredibly useful. I don’t really use any of the others. Means you can focus on boons instead of constantly chasing hearts (you’ll still need a few, of course).

Consider flipping the passive health mirror upgrade (the one where you heal three hearts per chamber) to the one that gives you healing per darkness pick up. This is particularly key if you’re using a weapon where you’ve already received most of the one-time rewards - you instead pick up darkness after bosses, which is effectively a second health boost on top of the fountain.

Death defy is essential. Should be a top focus for mirror upgrades.

There are notable late game uses for levelling up friendships beyond the initial trinket. But I’m only getting to the point where it’s significant.

Dash deflect skills are immensely useful. Obviously needs to stack on top of strong weapon upgrades, but means you can dash around causing absolute havoc :)

Artemis’ call is ludicrously powerful if you can get it - can shave a quarter of the health off the final boss in a second (greater call version, that is). If you can match it with a passive god gauge building boon, even better. Support fire is also a great skill, that fires homing arrows any time you deal damage.

Dionysus‘s hangover skills are great. Anything that inflicts doom is also great.

For the final boss:
    slow and steady. You’ll need to take down the skulls before they explode, or else be on the other side of the map. The twirl attack is devastating so focus on avoiding that. For the second phase, make sure to hide behind pillars for the laser attack. Use greater call liberally.

Dcully wrote: »
    I have to say this is one of the best games ive ever played.
    Like johnny_ultimate i cant say enough good things about the game.
    Its rare to find magical gameplay but this definitely falls into that category.

Yeah I agree the combat is so satisfying and the loop is addictive.

Jawless Paul on youtube puts out great content , build ideas,weapon and boon tier lists etc, he is well worth a look.

Poison and confined spaces is an evil mix, it's the one aspect to the game I'm quite antagonistic towards. Everything else feels balanced, whereas the above feels arbitrary as to whether I get whalloped or not.

Almost beat the final boss last night! I had used one life on the feckin poison rats, think I would have got there otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Got this on friday making use of a free 10€ credit I got on epic store, simply for downloading (for free!) rocket league.

anyway, loving it so far, definitely a dead cells meets diablo. meg kicked my arse the first 3 times I got to her, but after unlocking the spear and making use of its charged attack, it was onwards and upwards, met my end at the next boss though, but it was a close run thing. Looking forward to giving another run later.

Phew. Have finally seen the end credits - there's a fair old chunk of game left after you first clear it! What a game :)

Might dig into some of the post-game stuff, but going to take a break from now. Perilously addictive game - just the right length to pop in for another run or two when you have an hour free (which often turns into two or three hours).

Phew. Have finally seen the end credits - there's a fair old chunk of game left after you first clear it! What a game :)

Might dig into some of the post-game stuff, but going to take a break from now. Perilously addictive game - just the right length to pop in for another run or two when you have an hour free (which often turns into two or three hours).

Johnny how many times did you have to clear it until you got the end credits?

Cleared it 3 times myself now.

Johnny how many times did you have to clear it until you got the end credits?

Cleared it 3 times myself now.
    Ten times I believe - enough to clear it at least once with every weapon and then some!

• Advertisement

Also, my absolutely favourite thing about the game is how Zag
    starts giving ludicrous nicknames to the Bone Hydra, to the point where it even changes on the ‘defeated’ screen
    :p

Completed my first run last night. I think it was attempt 58 :) with the fists. I still find the gun the hardest to use.

Soundtrack available on Bandcamp It really is fantastic.

Got my furthest Run last night, hit the
    Elysian Fields after defeating the bone hydra

i have to say, the game certainly feels like it has kicked up a notch, as there has been a
    dream sequence / story dump
    and I seem to be finding a lot more nectar to give as gifts to the people I meet.

Funnily enough, despite initially not liking the shield, I progressed well with it, I think its really down to getting good boons.

Got my furthest Run last night, hit the
    Elysian Fields after defeating the bone hydra

i have to say, the game certainly feels like it has kicked up a notch, as there has been a
    dream sequence / story dump
    and I seem to be finding a lot more nectar to give as gifts to the people I meet.

Funnily enough, despite initially not liking the shield, I progressed well with it, I think its really down to getting good boons.

Struggle with the shield its the only one I haven't cleared with yet. Adamant rail and fists for the win.

Struggle with the shield its the only one I haven't cleared with yet. Adamanat rail and fists for the win.

Shield with Ares Curse of pain [your special inflicts doom] + Ares keepsake is win win.

The second shield aspect is also excellent if you unlock it, throws your shield and it just slices through enemies.

Finally did it and beat the boss; then within about a few more playthroughs beat it 2 more times. Of course that's not the end of the game, not remotely the end of the story. Still haven't found a repeating loop of conversation or dialogue - that's insane. Would love to know how many unique lines of dialogue in this game there are; it must be thousands.

It's arguably a game that may change the perception of roguelike for me; same as how Breath of the Wild reframed Open World sandboxes, the rest seeming more shallow and flippant. Hades isn't ostensibly a very "tall" rogue game, but's it is incredibly "wide": fewer actual levels but way more depth and complexity within those smaller number of worlds. Unlike nearly every other rogueluke I can barely spot the joins.

When I started playing this, I was sure I'd end up hating Zagreus; seemed like a character easily written as a snarky, unlikeable edgelord. But he's the nicest Lead Character of a video-game I've played in years. A snarky git with his dad but he's so polite and friendly with everyone else I can see why the greater internet is crushing on him so much. He's a total gent, while Dusa is sweet, Siphysus himself a gentleman; the greater ensemble makes dying less of a chore and more an opportunity to chat with (for instance) Meg.

On the subject of the roguelike aspect, designer Ed Gorinstein posted a 19 tweet thread about some of the magic that went into the level crafting:

https://twitter.com/EdGorinstein/status/1311777010239193088

pixelburp wrote: »
    Finally did it and beat the boss; then within about a few more playthroughs beat it 2 more times. Of course that's not the end of the game, not remotely the end of the story. Still haven't found a repeating loop of conversation or dialogue - that's insane. Would love to know how many unique lines of dialogue in this game there are; it must be thousands.

It's arguably a game that may change the perception of roguelike for me; same as how Breath of the Wild reframed Open World sandboxes, the rest seeming more shallow and flippant. Hades isn't ostensibly a very "tall" rogue game, but's it is incredibly "wide": fewer actual levels but way more depth and complexity within those smaller number of worlds. Unlike nearly every other rogueluke I can barely spot the joins.

When I started playing this, I was sure I'd end up hating Zagreus; seemed like a character easily written as a snarky, unlikeable edgelord. But he's the nicest Lead Character of a video-game I've played in years. A snarky git with his dad but he's so polite and friendly with everyone else I can see why the greater internet is crushing on him so much. He's a total gent, while Dusa is sweet, Siphysus himself a gentleman; the greater ensemble makes dying less of a chore and more an opportunity to chat with (for instance) Meg.

On the subject of the roguelike aspect, designer Ed Gorinstein posted a 19 tweet thread about some of the magic that went into the level crafting:

https://twitter.com/EdGorinstein/status/1311777010239193088

I Think you've hit the nail on the head there about what makes this such a good roguelike - the loop of a run, dying and restarting, makes perfect sense and is aknowledged by both zag and the ensemble cast he meets, whether its hades giving you a bit of guff, or meg sulking cause you beat her, theres an overarching story playing out, all in service of the loop.
    Compared to say, dead cells, you can have a 45 minute run and come out of it with little more than some extra cells to drop into a few unlockables, Hades has a sprinkling of story, or something else to keep you engaged. The more I play it, the more I admire it. I've only gotten past bone hydra once so far, and they're still introducing things to spice up the early stage runs - for example
    The last 2 runs, I've faced different furies instead of meg, and now I've gotted offerings of boons from 2 different gods, where choosing one over the other sparks jealousy and a negative outcome

soundtrack is a banger also, which adds to the experience immensely

• Advertisement

Had my furthest run last night, using the shield. got to the
    Minotaur
    in Elysian, but he made fair bits of me.

My first boss fight now seems to be
    Tisiphone
    every time, which is a bit of a pain as she seems considerably tougher than Meg.

Advertisement