Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Well the schedule will most likely be released next week - going to be interesting to see if we get any crazy road trips like last year.

What’s even more interesting is if the new stadium will be ready at the start of the year with the delays in construction due to the lockdown. First few “home games” may not even be in Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭eire4

After years of false dawnI have literally no expectations this season. As ever, I want us to be competitive and I would prefer to see us relevant at christmas. I do think the Defense has potential and our schedule doesnt look as hard as last years but this is the Raiders so....we'll win 1 or 2 matches that everyone wrote off as being lost causes, lose some that on paper we probably could have won and the rest will be either hard fought wins or blowouts for the opposition. But I still love my Raiders as much as ever!!!

One thing nobody is talking about is the fact that the next NFL season will be played behind closed doors. No idea how that will affect games but it certainly would I imagine lessen home advantage for teams. BUT IMHO there is no chance the games will be played in front of fans in the stadiums.

Kev8360 wrote: »
    Well the schedule will most likely be released next week - going to be interesting to see if we get any crazy road trips like last year.

What’s even more interesting is if the new stadium will be ready at the start of the year with the delays in construction due to the lockdown. First few “home games” may not even be in Vegas.

Maybe not be as big an issue if no fans are allowed at the games as long as the field is good to go the Raiders should be fine to play in Vegas.

eire4 wrote: »
    Maybe not be as big an issue if no fans are allowed at the games as long as the field is good to go the Raiders should be fine to play in Vegas.

Yes I never thought of that. Would be really weird watching games played in front of no crowd. Seattle’s false start stats on opposing Offenses is going to plummet!

Schedule for 2020:
    @Panthers
    Saints
    @Patriots
    Bills
    @Chiefs
    Bye
    Buccaneers
    @Browns
    @Chargers
    Broncos
    Chiefs
    @Falcons
    @Jets
    Colts
    Chargers
    Dolphins
    @Broncos

IMO the schedule will be very tough - the first 6 weeks are all against top half defenses. The only plus point is 3 of last 4 at home so if any chance of a playoff run they will be in with a shout. Going to give a prediction of 8-8 as things currently stand and probably just missing a playoff spot but progression from last year and at least not having a losing season in first year in Vegas. Go Raiders!

• Advertisement

Kev8360 wrote: »
    Schedule for 2020:
    @Panthers
    Saints
    @Patriots
    Bills
    @Chiefs
    Bye
    Buccaneers
    @Browns
    @Chargers
    Broncos
    Chiefs
    @Falcons
    @Jets
    Colts
    Chargers
    Dolphins
    @Broncos

IMO the schedule will be very tough - the first 6 weeks are all against top half defenses. The only plus point is 3 of last 4 at home so if any chance of a playoff run they will be in with a shout. Going to give a prediction of 8-8 as things currently stand and probably just missing a playoff spot but progression from last year and at least not having a losing season in first year in Vegas. Go Raiders!

I am going to go for 9-7!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Overall not too bad a schedule, but having to face the Chiefs coming off their bye week for the fourth time in five seasons certainly stings. Facing the Panthers in Carolina in week one isn't too bad as Teddy Bridgewater may not have developed chemistry with his receivers in his first regular season start for the Panthers. Playing the Saints in week 2, they may not be firing on all cylinders yet and they will be coming off a competitive divisional game against the Bucs. Despite the Pats strong D, if I'm going to New England I'd want to go early, when the weather is okay and when Stidham is still getting used to be their starting QB. Then a tough home game against the Bills, a visit to Arrowhead(not too late in the season) and then the bye with 2 weeks to prepare and heal up for the visit of Brady and the Bucs.

Only two cold weather games in New York and Denver which is favourable too. But if they are to be competitive they need the defence to gel quickly, as early on, the team is unlikely to be equipped to win any shootouts. I'd also go for 9-7 unless they manage to unearth a rookie ballhawk on the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Well lads, only a week to go in the most turbulent NFL season in history. No pre-season, no chance to grade the newbies, and Williams now out for the season with an injury. despite this, I'm looking forward to seeing some football again!!! Hope ye all are doing okay :). Anyone else looking forward to it?

I don't know what's happened in the past few days, they spent the last few months signing veteran players to provide depth and possibly start if the younger players and rookies aren't ready, then they cut Prince Nakamura, then Demarious Randall, then after seemingly falling out of favour with 2 down linebackers such a Tahir Whitehead and Marquel Lee, who were a huge liability against the pass, they trade for Raquan McMillian from Miami, a linebacker, who when targeted last year against the pass gave up a passer rating of 100+ and who is going into the final year of his rookie contract and so will be a free agent after the 2020 season. McMillian is the prototypical 2 down linebacker, good against the run, but who given his weakness against the pass, will almost certainly be targeted by opposing QBs whenever he takes the field thereby possibly negating any improvement from
    the signing of Cory Littleton and Nick Kwiatkoski.

Then there was the startling decision to trade 3rd round pick Lynn Bowden plus a 6th round pick to the Dolphins in exchange for the 4th round pick that they had earlier given the Dolphins in the McMillian trade. Trading a 3rd round player for less, when the player hasn't even played a single down in the NFL is shocking, and poses the question, why was it even necessary ?
    If, as has been suggested, Bowden was struggling with the pass protection aspects of playing running back, then given he wasn't pencilled in as a starter, but a backup, could they not have given him more time to work on this in training and if, as is also true, Bowden can also play on special teams as a returner and has also played successfully as a wide receiver, could they not have tried him out at receiver before cutting ties(its not as
    if Zay Jones or Nelson Agalor are such studs) ? Bowden has so much natural talent with the ball in his hands that I'm disappointed that they couldn't have found a role for him. I hope we don't see him blossom into a star in Miami, where apparently they do intend to use him as a wide receiver. I think the Bowden trade seems like a Gruden inspired move as the trade deal
    wasn't that favourable and Gruden seems to lack patience. If you won't give Bowden the time to get used to a new position, then how is it that Tanner Muse, another 3rd round pick, who is transitioning from safety to linebacker and has similarly struggled with his new position, has made the roster ?

It is also a real shame that the team feel to need to cover their asses by dropping unattributed stories into the media about Bowden not having the right attitude. If they have something to say about him, let Gruden or Mayock have the guts to go in front of the media and say it straight out, rather than trying to discredit the player to justify their decision. Maybe somebody is worried that Bowden will turn into a star in Miami and they'll be left with egg of their faces. It will be interesting to see whether the Dolphins with Bowden and a 6th round pick, will do better from the trade than the Raiders with their 4th round pick(in a draft that falls in a season where there may be little or no college football)

Talking of headscratching decisions though, the team have had problems with their swing tackle positions for several seasons, with former Brandon Parker, another former 3rd round pick, a virtual turnstile, every time he takes to the field. Yet they opted to keep Parker for another season, traded the other backup David Sharpe to Washington and waived veteran Sam Young, who they had been talking highly of, for a couple of weeks. The decision to trade Bowden also looks odd as they decided to keep Devontae Booker who has had problems with fumbles in the past, maybe they'll re-sign D. Washington whose been waived by the Chiefs.
    Lets hope that its all part of a bigger plan to bring other players in, over the next week, though with the season just days away and with complex schemes on offence and defence, its hard to see how new signings unfamiliar with the schemes will be 100% able to play a major role in week one.

Its very disappointing that an off-season that started so promisingly has descended into farce, with so many questionable decisions.

I agree it is not filling me with confidence the amount of players we have signed and waived/traded this post season. First game against the panthers away will be interesting to see if we have addressed any of the problems we had last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭golfball37

Stop McCaffrey and you stop the Panthers. A big improvement needed in our rush defense, here’s hoping.
    Not holding out too much hope for the season but would like to see progress and possibility that Gruden knows what he’s doing and there is a future as contenders in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

If we can’t see a much improved team this season then the Gruden and Mayock experiment will be seriously questioned. This is without a doubt their team now.

The Mack and Cooper trades have now been used and the team is full of “their guys”. No excuses now

Marcus Mariota and Tanner Muse have both been placed on IR, so Nathan Peterman is Carrs' backup for the first few weeks, while Deshone Kizer has been added to the practice squad again.

Gruden seems to love Peterman, but he seems to be in a club of one on that issue. I'm also not that confident about our chances this year, but we do have an offense and the Defense seems to be improved. I agree, Carolina goes as far as McCaffrey will carry them so fingers crossed our D can hold them. If we can stay competitive in games, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I dunno about the Panthers being a one trick pony lads. Even if they are, it is an exceptional pony that they have. I wouldnt be overly confident of shutting him down. Even if we kept him to 80/90 rushing and 50/60 receiving (which I would classify a success) we would still have Moore, Samuel and Anderson to worry about. Bridgewater is no mug either.

It will need to be a complete performance on that side of the ball I think.

On offence it really is anyone's guess. Gruden has his toys now and at the very least it will be interesting (and hopefully exciting) to watch. I wouldnt be surprised if we just decided to pound it with Jacobs for the first couple of weeks considering the young WRs havent had any preseason reps. Looking forward to it regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Ruggs is going to open up a lot of room for Waller so theres going to be a lot of pressure on him to deliver this season. Hopefully Renfrow doesn't get squeezed out, he's a fan favourite underdog type, I love seeing him pop up with a big play.

Very important this team gets wins this year, a disappointing season will make it harder to build up the new fanbase in LV. Jacobs is going to make sure the Panthers defence have an awful afternoon.

Hoping Ruggs injury isn' too serious. A great opener, typical Raiders keep you interested til the very end.
    Welcome to Vegas Josh Jacobs, the O line were excellent all game for him.

Yes we don’t make it easy on ourselves. Hopefully kwiatkoski is not a serious injury as well. Defense was not as effective when he came out. Great 4th down stop though late on!

What a nice result in the end. Great to see the Offense working and coming away with scores after most of the drives. Carr seemed to be on form too. I'm still not sure about how well the Defense will hold up against a pass happy team (here come the Saints next Monday!!) but we'll know more next Tuesday about how this team is shaping up. Coming away from an Eastern Time zone with a win is always a positive thing and the Panthers arent the worst team in the NFL. So yeah, for a week at least, feeling good about our lads!

It was a bit concerning that in the build up to the game, the Panthers O-line wasn't being rated as one of the stronger units in the league and the Raiders felt that they had upgraded their pass rush, yet they barely pressured Bridgewater and had just one sack, this will be a real problem against the likes of Brees, Brady and Mahomes, which they face in the next few weeks. The Panthers also aren't prolific scorers, so allowing them to score 30pts was a bit alarming.

On the bright side, the offence moved the ball pretty well, especially when you consider that they lost RT Trent Brown in the first quarter, lost his replacement Sam Young shortly afterwards and that Denzelle Good had to play RT for most of the game, with little or no practice at the position. I would have liked to see more wide receiver targets in the second half, but they got the job done, with a valuable win.

The kick and punt coverage teams need some work, as they looked capable of allowing a long return, but hopefully they will improve with more reps.

• Advertisement

heyjude wrote: »
    It was a bit concerning that in the build up to the game, the Panthers O-line wasn't being rated as one of the stronger units in the league and the Raiders felt that they had upgraded their pass rush, yet they barely pressured Bridgewater and had just one sack, this will be a real problem against the likes of Brees, Brady and Mahomes, which they face in the next few weeks. The Panthers also aren't prolific scorers, so allowing them to score 30pts was a bit alarming.

On the bright side, the offence moved the ball pretty well, especially when you consider that they lost RT Trent Brown in the first quarter, lost his replacement Sam Young shortly afterwards and that Denzelle Good had to play RT for most of the game, with little or no practice at the position. I would have liked to see more wide receiver targets in the second half, but they got the job done, with a valuable win.

The kick and punt coverage teams need some work, as they looked capable of allowing a long return, but hopefully they will improve with more reps.
    I agree, it was a win and thats the bottom line. There are reasons for optimism but there are issues and the lack of a Pass Rush is going to kill us if it has regressed. The Schedule looks really scary at the moment!!!

heyjude wrote: »

What you highlight as negative on defense are all accurate observations and something Gruden can work with. He can also cite that stop at the end as the winning of the game, ie tell them they have the talent build confidence. A win was most important thing, having something glaring to work on might turn out to be a good thing.

Well, that was a very satisfying victory and no mistake. Carr played well and Waller was on fire. People could make the argument that Carolina are a weak team but the Saints are supposed to be one of the NFC heavyweights and its nice to see us 2-0!! I'm still not convinced about our defense but fortune has smiled on us so far. Now off to New England and Cam Newton.

The offensive line again were unreal. Carr really struggled to get ball away early doors but it was very noticeable the amount of time he had. I thought when Richard fumbled it was here we go again but we kept them out and that was the winning of the game there again by defense. Richard made up for it then with an outstanding finish.
    Special word to Waller, he was immense. Some great yards after catch too, particularly one crucial 3rd down.
    Carr’s figures are good but his footwork still not top level imo but behind that line he has time and is delivering

• Registered Users Posts: 37,490 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Carr is a class act and you are seriously underrating him there. Early doors it was run first and then throwing on 3rd and long when the opposition know you are throwing.
    When they went more pass than run he was immense.

I did not get really excited about the week one win in Carolina as I think they will be one of the weakest teams this season but that was a full on legit win in the prime time national spotlight last night against one of the leagues best teams. It will be very interesting to see how next week goes given it is a tough road trip against the Patriots. But credit it where it is due that was a brilliant win last night and one that was well deserved as well not in any way lucky.

Incognito has been placed on IR, which is unfortunate. The line was really starting to Gel . Does anyone know what the story is with Trent Brown? I heard reports he was unwilling to play, as opposed to being unable to.

Incognito has been placed on IR, which is unfortunate. The line was really starting to Gel . Does anyone know what the story is with Trent Brown? I heard reports he was unwilling to play, as opposed to being unable to.

He stood behind the team on Monday as they linked arms pre game. It wasn’t a good look anyway. One thing to have conflict with mgmt or staff but another if team mates are off with you. The rumour is he hasn’t been taking his rehab seriously and just wants to collect his massive cheque.

Can’t defend the run at all is the take from last night. We must be close to the worst team in league for yards per play on defense.
    Also still maintain Carr is not all that, he holds onto the ball far too long for someone without the footwork of an elite qb. The last NE td was inevitable but lucky it happened last night in garbage time when game was over.
    We were right in this however but the missed fg to tie it at 13 killed all our momentum. We let Michel run all over us next series and game was lost.

• Advertisement

I think yesterday is a fair reflection on where we are in the rebuild process - our squad depth is poor now with the injuries we have (LB and WR are big weakness still). We are a run first team and are not built to play from behind. Once New England got on top the game was up. There are positives to take from the game - first half I thought we ran the ball well , the young secondary held up their end and a really good 2 minute drive to score the TD at the end of the half.

Turnovers and the missed FG were killer - you cant throw away any chances against the Pats and expect to be in the game. They kept Darren Waller bottled up all night and we had no other answer.

Buffalo at home next up - no rest for the wicked!

Advertisement