Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bringing a neglected lawn back to life

• 07-09-2020 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've had a dog for the last 13 years so the lawn has not been properly maintained. Unfortunately my dog has passed and I now am looking at how to revive the lawn.
    I'm not good at gardening, so I was wondering if I could get some advice or even a recommend of a really good book or website for reviving a lawn.

My issues are as follows (garden is south facing):-
    1) weeds
    2) moss
    3) I have Photinia at southern end of garden which is about 8' high, so that end of the lawn gets very little sunlight. This is where most of the moss is. Also, the ground here is very soft (ladder sinks in about 2" when I try to cut photinia).

Thanks,
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

first thing spray the garden to kill the weeds ( only the weeds) , leave it for a few weeks to recover and then put a moss killer
    don't cut too short and it will come on over the winter.

Now Waite for the everyone to come back about chemicals sprays !!! but it the quickest and easiest way to treat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that looks way healthier than i expected after reading the post!
    yes, there's a few weeds in it. but that lawn looks fine to me.

is the softness permanent? we've had quite a lot of wet weather recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Thanks.

Spray with what?

Yes - the softness appears to be permanent. My guess is that the area never gets the sun.

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

My lawn had been weak and plagued with creeping buttercups for years. This year I decided to finally sort it.

Here's what I did, not saying it's the recommended way but worked in my case:

Cut it.
    Sprayed with agri weed killer - Hygeia Hygrass but lots of different stuff out there.
    Waited 4 or 5 weeks, cut it and then scarified it with a hand scarifier.
    Spread lawn seed particularly over the area that were now bare due to dead and removed weeds.
    About two weeks later I spread 18-6-12 agri fertiliser to strengthen the grass.

Best it's ever looked and had people comment on the transformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

First thing, very sorry about your dog passing. As a dog lover, I know how sad it is to lose one.

This guy (based in N. Ireland) has lots of videos about lawn care:

https://www.youtube.com/c/PremierlawnsniCoUk/videos

UK based guy:

https://www.youtube.com/c/GardenLawncareGuy/videos

UK based:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheLawnGuy/videos

You should get handy tips and tricks from these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

Couple of things
    1)control the weeds (you can get granular weed and feed for the lawns) check out the local garden centre
    2)use iron sulphate to kill the moss-rake out the dead moss after a few days (it'll turn black)
    3)use a low nitrogen based fertilser or else you will be cutting it every few days. 7n-6p-17k type (often used for potatoes)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Hi. Can I jump in on this with one question. My garden is similar to the above in the description but looks a lot worse. When is the best time to start this process, is now a good or bad time?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Spraying can only be done it the growing season, so it too late now, however if your planning on sowing grass do it within the next few weeks, and then this gives it time to grow over the winter ( I've planted seed up to November ) when spring comes it will be strong
    and then spot spray the weeds.

Advertisement