Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tenet (Christopher Nolan) *spoilers from post 475*

Options

Comments

somuj wrote: »
    Why didn't she just destroy the 'algorithm' instead of sending it back in time?

That would have been far too straightforward!

Fact is, he couldn't even come up with an original idea :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Saw it today, first trip to the cinema since early March.

Visually it was a spectacle, but the plotting was muddled and overly busy in a detrimental way, and there wasn't enough clever/strong use of the core conceit in the action - the "pincer movement" idea underpinning the climactic action scene was very nice, but the forwards-and-backwards car-chase scene was a bit lumpen.

I think the big issue with this is that, in pop culture and big-budget films, we know about time travel. It's several decades since the BTTF trilogy and T2, and we've had TV shows like the Doctor Who revival running for ages. And yet Tenet approaches it as though it's a thoroughly novel concept - which is like horror films set in the present day where the protagonists haven't heard of zombies, or Dracula, or whatever. It's a bit weak, and made worse by apparently thinking it's smarter than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Fysh wrote: »
    I think the big issue with this is that, in pop culture and big-budget films, we know about time travel. It's several decades since the BTTF trilogy and T2, and we've had TV shows like the Doctor Who revival running for ages. And yet Tenet approaches it as though it's a thoroughly novel concept - which is like horror films set in the present day where the protagonists haven't heard of zombies, or Dracula, or whatever. It's a bit weak, and made worse by apparently thinking it's smarter than it is.
    I dunno; whatever about being over-complicated, I thought it was a clever spin on a well-worn conceit. It was a novel approach in a crowded market, to do with time i.e. it's not about time-travel; 'inversion' is about time reversal.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/tenet-not-time-travel-film-inversion-christopher-nolan/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I dunno; whatever about being over-complicated, I thought it was a clever spin on a well-worn conceit. It was a novel approach in a crowded market, to do with time i.e. it's not about time-travel; 'inversion' is about time reversal.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/tenet-not-time-travel-film-inversion-christopher-nolan/

For me it kind of is and it isn't, if you know what I mean. Like, from a storytelling perspective I see how reversing time without allowing for time-jumps allows for a somewhat different approach, but at the same time narratively speaking it gets used as...time travel - we follow the protagonist along linear time in a forward direction, discover Bad Things, then follow the protagonist along linear time back to the same time of the start of the film, allowing one "future" person to slip into the gaps around their "contemporary" self's presence to pursue goals.

To me, it's a plot mechanics aspect rather than a meaningful differentiator, sort of like the difference between a multiverse-vs-singular-universe time-travle story. At least in terms of how it's used in the film - if there had been more things like the climactic temporal pincer-movement battle, I might have felt differently.

I would have loved to see something that had the precision of, say, Timecrimes, in terms of how the various trajectories overlap. Perhaps an unrealistic hope for a blockbuster, I admit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Nolan’s films are all starting to feel very samey imo his characters are boring too tenet this was a bore to watch

since the dark knight rises they all felt the same to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Nolan’s films are all starting to feel very samey imo his characters are boring too tenet this was a bore to watch

since the dark knight rises they all felt the same to me

Now I know where Branagh channelled his Russian accent and bad guy from... himself!

(character also had terminal disease lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zsUFpPjt8g&feature=youtu.be&t=42

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

gonna watch this tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

gonna watch this tonight

I thought December 16th was the Blu-Ray release date

* Checks cousin's website *

Oh. It's out there already

It has such very mixed reviews, but it's Nolan so I'll give it an hour at least

Definitely watching this one with good headphones after all the reviews mentioned muffled audio

subtitles will now be available as an option also...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Thats interesting... I might be tempted to rewatch with sub titles.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I thought December 16th was the Blu-Ray release date

* Checks cousin's website *

Oh. It's out there already

It has such very mixed reviews, but it's Nolan so I'll give it an hour at least

Definitely watching this one with good headphones after all the reviews mentioned muffled audio

the first hour is the best hour of it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

glasso wrote: »
    the first hour is the best hour of it imo

Well the most easiest understood at least. After that I got the concept of what was happening but couldn’t fully understand it.

I gave up after 30 mins not in the humor for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I'm guessing this is a film you have to watch twice to fathom?

It seems a bit gimmicky I'll have another go during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Not really. It's complex, but I think it does a decent job of making sure you can follow it. There are scenes you see more than once from different character's perspectives, and won't fully get until you see the scene for the second time, but once you accept that, you can enjoy the ride knowing it'll all get laid out for you in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭Penfailed

mikhail wrote: »
    Not really. It's complex, but I think it does a decent job of making sure you can follow it. There are scenes you see more than once from different character's perspectives, and won't fully get until you see the scene for the second time, but once you accept that, you can enjoy the ride knowing it'll all get laid out for you in the end.

That's a bit of a spoiler IMHO.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I would say no.

most people of average intelligence and concentration will get the general concepts and not be lost at any point.

some parts (end piece mainly) have a lot going on where it's tricky to "fact-check" in real-time to see if every last bit of action makes sense within the concept but personally I didn't really care that much at that point.

Penfailed wrote: »
    That's a bit of a spoiler IMHO.
    Not unless someone draws attention to it before they've seen the movie. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

:pac: .ti dekli yllaer I dna thginot ti dehctaW

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

mikhail wrote: »
    Not really. It's complex, but I think it does a decent job of making sure you can follow it.

If you exclude the fact that there are massive parts of the movie where you can't hear what the characters are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Saw it last night. Wow. Some entertainment. Was definitely difficult to follow. But worth it in the end. It's along the lines of inception. With a dramatic climax.
    If you're a viewer who is not comfortable watching a movie where you need to understand every how, why, when of a movie as it rolls along, this is not for you.
    Would be a frustrating watch. It's one of those for just sitting back and enjoying the rollercoaster, try to concentrate and put as much together as possible, and then it more or less comes together at the end.
    Really looking forward to watchin it again. Will give it a few weeks to let some of it fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

:pac: .ti dekli yllaer I dna thginot ti dehctaW

.tcefren s'ydoboP

Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

The sequences that are focused purely on the inverted action just didn't work for me. It's odd looking and there is no excitement in them at all.

Relikk wrote: »
    The sequences that are focused purely on the inverted action just didn't work for me. It's odd looking and there is no excitement in them at all.
    I'd agree. I liked the movie well enough, but I don't think it's Nolan's most successful idea. It might have been more effective in a whodunnit or something, because the extra step required to interpret what you're seeing costs some of the visceral thrill of great action.

I wonder if we will get a sequel. Nolan doesn't typically make sequels with the exception of batman. But the ending does set up a sequel.

Also as we found out it was Neil who saved the protagonist at the concert hall. But that is never expanded upon. Like there's more too it.

Also, if Neil never saved the protagonist then he wouldn't have survived - they changed the past. Yet they say you shouldn't change the past.
    Confusing huh?

Relikk wrote: »

indeed

they were very un-immersive and unimpressive imo to the complete detriment of the film

• Advertisement

I wonder if we will get a sequel. Nolan doesn't typically make sequels with the exception of batman. But the ending does set up a sequel.

Also as we found out it was Neil who saved the protagonist at the concert hall. But that is never expanded upon. Like there's more too it.

Also, if Neil never saved the protagonist then he wouldn't have survived - they changed the past. Yet they say you shouldn't change the past.
    Confusing huh?

I doubt it and I hope not

Advertisement