Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hibernia Primary PME

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rbells

Any update on how you got on guys? Have any of you heard this week yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 midlandor

Rbells wrote: »

I had my interview last Fri. No news yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 markreidy

I had mine over two weeks ago and still got no reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Palmaranel

Hi Rbells,

I'm in the same boat!

Had my interview today, completely bottled the Irish... I'm usually quite comfortable speaking it and the questions were simple enough but my nerves completely got the better of me. They were very lovely though.

I think the English interview went well though. Anyone know if you fail the Irish if you just repeat that part or if you've to do the whole thing again?

A nervous wait now indeed...though tempering my expectations that I may have to turn my attention to the September cohort!

markreidy wrote: »
    I had mine over two weeks ago and still got no reply!

Would you consider ringing them or emailing to let them know you have been waiting more than 10days??
    I had emailed the college a few times before the interview to ask different things and they are very helpful and quick to reply.

• Advertisement

Palmaranel wrote: »
    Hi Rbells,

I'm in the same boat!

Had my interview today, completely bottled the Irish... I'm usually quite comfortable speaking it and the questions were simple enough but my nerves completely got the better of me. They were very lovely though.

I think the English interview went well though. Anyone know if you fail the Irish if you just repeat that part or if you've to do the whole thing again?

A nervous wait now indeed...though tempering my expectations that I may have to turn my attention to the September cohort!

I feel the exact same.....i couldnt say the irish interview was very difficult i just feel i didnt get a chance to show off any bit of irish that i know really. And got too nervous towards the end. Fingers crossed we might be lucky enough to get in but i think it may be september for me too but would just like to know either way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SplashNic

Like you guys, I thought my nerves got the better of me with the gaeilge and the more i thought about it after i was sure i wouldn't pass that part this time around but turns out i did so fingers crossed all goes well for you too.
    I feel the exact same.....i couldnt say the irish interview was very difficult i just feel i didnt get a chance to show off any bit of irish that i know really. And got too nervous towards the end. Fingers crossed we might be lucky enough to get in but i think it may be september for me too but would just like to know either way now.

Hi all, I got an email yesterday saying I got through!! I'm delighted!! My interview was last Fri, so they got back to me in just under a week.

Best of luck to everyone waiting and hopefully you will hear soon!!

midlandor wrote: »
    Hi all, I got an email yesterday saying I got through!! I'm delighted!! My interview was last Fri, so they got back to me in just under a week.

Best of luck to everyone waiting and hopefully you will hear soon!!

Congrats midlandor!!! Great news!!

Received the email today and got accepted for the April Cohert! Relief!

• Advertisement

Received the email today and got accepted for the April Cohert! Relief!

Congrats Rbells!!!

I've spent a lot of this week jumping into my email every time I got a notification. So nice not having to do that any more!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 markreidy

Would you consider ringing them or emailing to let them know you have been waiting more than 10days??
    I had emailed the college a few times before the interview to ask different things and they are very helpful and quick to reply.

Got reply. Never got it. I succeeded in Irish interview but not the general component.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fourstarstevek

I found out I never got it after 9 days. I got general and not irish that was my second attempt so can’t apply again. So annoyed as I thought went really good

Sorry to hear that Mark and Fourstarsteve ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I found out I never got it after 9 days. I got general and not irish that was my second attempt so can’t apply again. So annoyed as I thought went really good

Steve, I think you can apply one more time, but then you'd have to wait a year.

This is from Google, but it's linked to their website.

Sorry to hear you got disappointing news, I hope it's 3rd time lucky for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Palmaranel

Hi all,

I interviewed Thursday morning and just got my email to say I've been accepted - very unexpected! As I mentioned before, I really thought I had bottled my Irish. Case in point being that I actually face-palmed myself after making a silly error.

Quick turn around now to get things in order before the course starts March 23rd!

To help others, here's the notes I made immediately after my interview for myself as I thought I'd have to re interview.

Irish
    Don’t panic. They guide you a lot & are looking for you to do well. Questions were simple. Keep talking until they cut across you, it feels like a box ticking exercise so they will jump from topic to topic more than the flowing conversation in the LC. They will not expand on topics you bring up. Answer question, move on to the next one.
    - How did you get here?
    - Tell us about your area, what sort of things are there?
    - Discuss your education. Talk about primary school, secondary school, college
    - What was your degree in?
    - What is your job? What do you do at work every day?
    - Teacher that inspired you
    - Traits of good teacher
    - Why do you want to be a teacher?
    - What would you do if you had a lot of money
    - Disadvantages in technology for young people
    - What are you doing after interview / what will you do

English
    A lot of questions, friendly though & occasionally the two interviewers shared a joke. Again they move on very quickly and are very much reading pre-prepared questions rather than engaging too much in conversation.
    - Education experience to date
    - Work history to date & a few questions off this eg An example of dealing with difficult customer
    - Main difficulties in classroom
    - Why teaching
    - Describe self 5 adjectives
    - Teaching is about professionalism - discuss
    - Challenges of working in a team
    - Why did you choose your degree
    - An inspirational teacher
    - Why Hibernia
    - Important qualities in a leader
    - Weakness
    - How do you manage your time
    - Are you musical?

Palmaranel wrote: »
    Hi all,

I interviewed Thursday morning and just got my email to say I've been accepted

Congrats Palmaranel!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pinkpencil

I've just been accepted to start this course in September. I was working in a primary school earlier this year and got garda vetted. I've been sent a form by Hibernia. Will I need to get Garda vetted again ?

pinkpencil wrote: »
    I've just been accepted to start this course in September. I was working in a primary school earlier this year and got garda vetted. I've been sent a form by Hibernia. Will I need to get Garda vetted again ?

Yes, you will need to get vetted again. Painful I know!

ps. Congrats by the way!!

Hey just wondering was the interview done on zoom? What sort of questions were you asked? Was there much about covid19?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 pinkpencil

Yeah it was done on zoom. They asked most of the basic questions that have been mentioned already.
    The Irish was more conversational than questions. We discussed the affect covid had on our hometowns - I just said the streets were quiet, everywhere is closed, can't see friends etc.
    There were no trick questions. What would I do if I got gifted loads of money was my MC question.
    My advice would be to listen to Podcasts in Irish as part of study. I listened to 'Beo Ar Eigean' Podcast - 1 per day whilst out running/walking. It's much better than RnaG or TG4. No music breaks and very clear. It's 30-40 mins of pure conversational Irish. I must of listened to around 40 episodes. I found it really helped me - I didn't understand everything but I was picking up new words and grammar and it's actually a decent podcast.

Yeah it was done on zoom. They asked most of the basic questions that have been mentioned already.
    The Irish was more conversational than questions. We discussed the affect covid had on our hometowns - I just said the streets were quiet, everywhere is closed, can't see friends etc.
    There were no trick questions. What would I do if I got gifted loads of money was my MC question.
    My advice would be to listen to Podcasts in Irish as part of study. I listened to 'Beo Ar Eigean' Podcast - 1 per day whilst out running/walking. It's much better than RnaG or TG4. No music breaks and very clear. It's 30-40 mins of pure conversational Irish. I must of listened to around 40 episodes. I found it really helped me - I didn't understand everything but I was picking up new words and grammar and it's actually a decent podcast.

Thank you so much for this advice this is my third attempt at the interview I am really praying that 3rd time is lucky for me. I only have irish part to do as was successful in general interview before. I just hope my nerves don’t take over too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AndyLee123

Hi There

Has anyone ever withdrawn from the Hibernia Course, or know anyone who has? It mentions a cooling off period and a refund of fees, minus a €500 admin fee but gives no more detail than that on the email or on the site. From my understanding you email the office of the registrar but wondering what happens when you do - is there terms that they must consider that you are unfit or is does a simple change of mind suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

AndyLee123 wrote: »
    Hi There

Has anyone ever withdrawn from the Hibernia Course, or know anyone who has? It mentions a cooling off period and a refund of fees, minus a €500 admin fee but gives no more detail than that on the email or on the site. From my understanding you email the office of the registrar but wondering what happens when you do - is there terms that they must consider that you are unfit or is does a simple change of mind suffice?
    I haven't done it, but you shouldn't have to give a reason during a "cooling off" period. They might check whether they can reassure you or whether they could have done anything differently though.

Advertisement