Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterproof glove recommendations

• 26-08-2020 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Thoroughly soaked 2 pairs of gloves yesterday, both of which are still soaked. One pair was a summer leather glove so no issue there. The other is this Richa pile of crap https://www.cottermc.com/richa-cold-protect-gtx-goretex-black.html which I expected more from. Despite the goretex label, hands were both wet and cold in less than an hour in admittedly bad weather yesterday.

Can anyone recommend some gloves that can stand up to all day rain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Did they get wet from the outside or did water run down from the sleeve into them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭dmigsy

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Did they get wet from the outside or did water run down from the sleeve into them?

Wet from outside, through the glove. Gauntlet tucked under jacket cuff, with cuffs tight over the glove. Jacket 100% waterproof all day yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unused-Surplus-Genuine-British-Army-DPM-Camo-Gore-Tex-Overmitts-Waterproof-Mitts/124096512318?hash=item1ce4ba813e:g:hEcAAOSw4A5YzZDU
    I keep these under the saddle, very thin but totally waterproof/windproof/breathable. Wear over a summer glove if you don't like bulky gloves with no feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I did 600+ miles in my new Held Air 'n Dry over the last 10 days and they're absolutely fantastic. Pricey but covers ya for two pairs of gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I use the Held Race Tex glove and it's been brilliant. You'd need to be using heated grips and handguards for near freezing temperatures though it's not a strict winter glove.

I've been using it fine in the warmer weather too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

dmigsy wrote: »
    Thoroughly soaked 2 pairs of gloves yesterday, both of which are still soaked. One pair was a summer leather glove so no issue there. The other is this Richa pile of crap https://www.cottermc.com/richa-cold-protect-gtx-goretex-black.html which I expected more from. Despite the goretex label, hands were both wet and cold in less than an hour in admittedly bad weather yesterday.

Funny, these have lasted longer than any other glove for me and I get through gloves pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Denny61

Think your best bet is marigolds!!lol

I did 600+ miles in my new Held Air 'n Dry over the last 10 days and they're absolutely fantastic. Pricey but covers ya for two pairs of gloves.

I had these and they didn't last pissing time unfortunately, one of the other lads had problems with theirs almost immediately and returned them. I assume they're too cold compared to the Arctic as they're a summer glove.

zubair wrote: »
    I had these and they didn't last pissing time unfortunately, one of the other lads had problems with theirs almost immediately and returned them. I assume they're too cold compared to the Arctic as they're a summer glove.

OP didn't mention wanting winter gloves, just waterproof I think? The Helds wouldn't be winter gloves alright, but that's what I have the Richa Artic GTXs for.

OP didn't mention wanting winter gloves, just waterproof I think? The Helds wouldn't be winter gloves alright, but that's what I have the Richa Artic GTXs for.
    The other is this Richa pile of crap https://www.cottermc.com/richa-cold-protect-gtx-goretex-black.html which I expected more from. Despite the goretex label, hands were both wet and cold in less than an hour in admittedly bad weather yesterday.

Well he said his hands were cold in the cold protects.

Thing with those helds is they have a very short life span. I think their greatest strength is their greatest weakness. personally I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Way over priced for their very short life. I still have them but they've been relegated to the top box as back ups.

My summer gloves are unlined A* gtx and when I need a new pair of winter gloves I'll be looking for a pair of lined A*. The summer pair I have lasted a long time and are still going strong, shocked at how long they've held up and it's in keeping with all the other A* gear I've owned.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Well he said his hands were cold in the cold protects.

Thing with those helds is they have a very short life span. I think their greatest strength is their greatest weakness. personally I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Way over priced for their very short life. I still have them but they've been relegated to the top box as back ups.

My summer gloves are unlined A* gtx and when I need a new pair of winter gloves I'll be looking for a pair of lined A*. The summer pair I have lasted a long time and are still going strong, shocked at how long they've held up and it's in keeping with all the other A* gear I've owned.

I'll be interested to see how they fare out. After paying €175, I'd expect them to last a couple years so we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

There's a lifetime guarantee on Goretex-lined stuff, worth looking into that...

I'll be interested to see how they fare out. After paying €175, I'd expect them to last a couple years so we shall see.

I hope you do too. I'll say no more.

Fabio wrote: »
    There's a lifetime guarantee on Goretex-lined stuff, worth looking into that...

Ah ye, I am aware, I know by the the way they leak that it's a seam leak and its because there are 2 compartments in the glove. They aren't built strong enough to have this feature and go through the usual abuse bike gloves get. I weighed it up and was fairly confident it was a waste of time and they would fall on it being normal wear and tear. It would be a better glove without this feature actually and would probably more durable because of it.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I haven't gone with any of them :pac: . Went for Rukka Ceres 2.0. I'll let yis know how they get on in the rain once they arrive. I'm more after truly waterproof than warmth.

Never had any Rukka gear before so will be interesting to see if it all it's made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Thanks for all the recommendations. I haven't gone with any of them :pac: . Went for Rukka Ceres 2.0. I'll let yis know how they get on in the rain once they arrive. I'm more after truly waterproof than warmth.

Never had any Rukka gear before so will be interesting to see if it all it's made out to be.

Yes, please keep us updated. I've a Rukka textile suit which has done 50k miles couriering and never let in a drop so I'd be interested to know what their gloves are like. As it is, I just use muffs in the Winter. Those overmitts linked above I find are OK except when you need to use your switchgear or something else in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

I can vouch for those. Done about 7000 km in them in fully wet weather. I was actually using them during the i2iMCA machine control training this week in very wet weather. Even when riding with one hand up and into the rain they did not get wet inside. They generally stay totally dry for about 4 hours, after which you can feel a little humidity build up from your own sweat on the inside, but nothing more than that, for as long as you wear them, even though the outside is soaked. There was another attendee who had them, on my recommendation, and he also stayed totally dry.

Another 2 advantages of the Held Air ‘n Dry. 1) If it is the only pair you have with you and it is dry you can use the thin “Dry” section for better feel, switching to the wet later. 2) They carry long and short finger versions (black only), so if you are M but your fingers are L or S you can get a perfect fit. Took me some 16 pairs of gloves to get there...wish I bought them ages ago.

In any case, it matters how you tuck jacket into or over gloves, dependent on the angle of your forearm when on handlebars—does the water run down or up your forearm. On sports bikes rain usually rolls down so gloves into jacket. Otherwise jacket into gloves. Hope it helps...

Rafal wrote: »
    I can vouch for those. Done about 7000 km in them in fully wet weather. I was actually using them during the i2iMCA machine control training this week in very wet weather. Even when riding with one hand up and into the rain they did not get wet inside. They generally stay totally dry for about 4 hours, after which you can feel a little humidity build up from your own sweat on the inside, but nothing more than that, for as long as you wear them, even though the outside is soaked. There was another attendee who had them, on my recommendation, and he also stayed totally dry.

Another 2 advantages of the Held Air ‘n Dry. 1) If it is the only pair you have with you and it is dry you can use the thin “Dry” section for better feel, switching to the wet later. 2) They carry long and short finger versions (black only), so if you are M but your fingers are L or S you can get a perfect fit. Took me some 16 pairs of gloves to get there...wish I bought them ages ago.

In any case, it matters how you tuck jacket into or over gloves, dependent on the angle of your forearm when on handlebars—does the water run down or up your forearm. On sports bikes rain usually rolls down so gloves into jacket. Otherwise jacket into gloves. Hope it helps...

Cheers for that.

I've done probably close to 1000 miles in them by now, and some absolutely torrential rain as well as gorgeous warm weather and they've been absolutely top class all the way. Goretex and the 'dry' compartment held (heh) up in the downpours, and the 'breezy' section kept me lovely and ventilated during the sunny spells. I'm super impressed with them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

nice looking glove, much prefer the shorty style like those tbh. Let me know how you go. Could be my next ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I can vouch for the REV'IT Livingood GTX (Goretex) winter gloves. They have the much better then standard Primaloft Gold insulation which is a market leader in insulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Grumpy Bike Wizard

I've had the Rukka Ceres 1.0 for nearly a year now, very happy with them, haven't fallen to bits like other shorty gloves i use tend to, and they're good for warm weather as well. I didn't like the knox handroids which is apparently blasphemy, but the rukka have been flawless for me. If their other kit is as good as this i may end up investing at some point.

Only small niggle i have is that the rubber strap to tighten them at the wrist is coming slightly undone on the left glove, but that looks fixable and is mostly cosmetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Rafal wrote: »

Interesting on the size front: where did you get to try on 16 pairs of gloves though ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I've had the Rukka Ceres 1.0 for nearly a year now, very happy with them, haven't fallen to bits like other shorty gloves i use tend to, and they're good for warm weather as well. I didn't like the knox handroids which is apparently blasphemy, but the rukka have been flawless for me. If their other kit is as good as this i may end up investing at some point.

Only small niggle i have is that the rubber strap to tighten them at the wrist is coming slightly undone on the left glove, but that looks fixable and is mostly cosmetic.

I have the Handroids too - really like them. Will be keeping them for dry weather.

I've done about 500km wearing the Ceres 2.0 - so far, so good. Haven't been in torrential rain yet but totally waterproof in the few showers they've been through. No doubt the waterproofing will get a proper test in the next few weeks. Otherwise, they're very comfortable, grand on warmer days and the fact they work with touchscreens is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

galwaytt wrote: »
    Interesting on the size front: where did you get to try on 16 pairs of gloves though ??

Buying 2-3 sizes online then returning them from sportsbikeshop.co.uk, fc-moto.de and motoin.de of various Held, Racer, Knox, and another I don’t remember. At one point my living room looked almost like the gloves table at Bikeworld. All in all, it was good as now I know what sizes I am meant to get.

By the way, also have Handroids for dry and track use, which I got at Motorcycle Live at NEC last year. They were very kind to adjust the thumb size for me. In that glove I have M hands and fingers but my thumb is shorter, which is a pain when the glove tip rolls while trying to change indicators. Good service, in the end, though.

And heated Gerbings...too many gloves! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

I'm in the market for a new pair of winter gloves, I just lost one of the the pair of Held gore-tex that have served me through 15 winters, neeedless to say my next pair will be by Held and use Gore-tex.

They cost just over 100 euro in megabikes.

I remember because I thought it was nuts at the time, but my hands were in agony with the cold, so I paid up begrudgingly; 15 years later I consider it one of the best value purchases I have ever made and look forward to spending the money with confidance this time.

Advertisement