Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Irish Government discussion thread [See Post 1805]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

To say nothing of the fact that nobody will want to be seen as having caused an election in the middle of a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

But what triggers the collapse of the government? They have a majority and I dont see any rebels lining up.

FG will want the government to collapse but don't want to be seen as the ones causing it.

FF will want to cling on for dear life and hope for a bounce in the polls.

Greens are an unknown. But I don't see them pulling out any time soon.

The change of leader gives FG the excuse they need to pull the rug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

That new govt spin and pr department that we saw in operation in Dublin Castle for the first time.....enough said.

I think a big problem for this beleaguered government, is the actions of the Tanaiste in the last few months.To me Leo is a national disgrace and is doing untold damage to deliberately undermine the govt, for his own selfish and vested interests. The front page headlines in the Irish examiner and in the pro FG indo this morning, is further proof if anyone needed of what type of individual the smug FG leader has always been.

He will get his general election, that he so desperately wants in the near future. But some of the carry on from LV, throughout the start of the new administration, since it took office in late June, cannot be dismissed and must be called out for what it is. Brand Leo it seems, far outweighs the national interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

New Era wrote: »
    That new govt spin and pr department that we saw in operation in Dublin Castle for the first time.....enough said.

I think a big problem for this beleaguered government, is the actions of the Tanaiste in the last few months.To me Leo is a national disgrace and is doing untold damage to deliberately undermine the govt, for his own selfish and vested interests. The front page headlines in the Irish examiner and in the pro FG indo this morning, is further proof if anyone needed of what type of individual the smug FG leader has always been.

He will get his general election, that he so desperately wants in the near future. But some of the carry on from LV, throughout the start of the new administration, since it took office in late June, cannot be dismissed and must be called out for what it is. Brand Leo it seems, far outweighs the national interest.

Leo is correct in what he is doing, to think that Micheal Martin is Taoiseach after what Fianna Fail inflicted on this country is an absolute disgrace. And people here snigger and laugh at Trump when the joke is on us. To even contemplate letting the Green Party near Government is tantamount to treason in my opinion. People are very much awake to the disgrace of Fianna Fail, even Eamonn O'Cuiv came out against corrupt Micheal Martin today.

A fresh election is needed and the next coalition should be a pragmatic approach with FG and SF and that is how it should have been.

New Era wrote: »

That's a very naive way to look at politics the national interest is a cod only ever trotted out when difficult and unpopular decisions are made.

If the roles and the polls were reversed Martin would be doing the exact same to Varadkar it's senior hurling after all as the FFers like to say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

O'Cuiv is calling for a change of leader. Not a change of government.

Besides, it would be suicide for FF to want an election now. 10% in the polls.

New leader = new election. FG won't accept a swap in Taoiseach and will be able to go to the polls blaming FF for the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

L1011 wrote: »
    New leader = new election. FG won't accept a swap in Taoiseach and will be able to go to the polls blaming FF for the election.

Why does new leader = new election?

Did the independents refuse to accept a new Taoiseach when Enda Kenny was swapped for Leo Varadkar? FF didn't mind either and they were propping up the government with a confidence and supply deal.

What about Bertie Aherne being replaced by Brian Cowen without an election?

Plenty of precedent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did the independents refuse to accept a new Taoiseach when Enda Kenny was swapped for Leo Varadkar? FF didn't mind either and they were propping up the government with a confidence and supply deal.

Plenty of precedent.

Because, as I said, FG will see an option to cause an election and blame FF for it

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Fg and SF are absolutely dying for another election FG on 35% in the polls SF on 27% and the irony being it's the chaos within FF on 10% that'll probably bring it about.

I suppose there are those in FF that think if they ditch Martin and go a different way they can claw themselves back or maybe they think it's time to get this catastrophic defeat out of the way and rebuild from there?

I think if FF suffer another collapse they are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Plenty of precedent.

The independents were bought off and theres a difference between confidence and supply and being part of coalition with effectively a 50/50 partnership. Also FG arent going to take the chance of a new FF leader reneging on Leos stint as Taoiseach in 2 years time and instead calling their own election when it may better suit them in the polls because they will argue it was MM who signed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Because, as I said, FG will see an option to cause an election and blame FF for it
    They don't need to cause an election as everything is going their way at present , FF having a a bad time, good poll numbers and potentially another short term in office before an election. They'll see it through until well into next year anyway when one would assume more normal life will fully return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

New Leader??? Like who?? Micheal seems an OK kind of bloke by Fianna Fail standards. At least back to Jack Lynch levels of integrity after years of Haughey/ Aherne wide boy stuff (Cown can be seen as transition)

Big problem for FF is who in gods name could replace him at the moment. Barry Cowen still needs to sober up and maybe get a full driving licence but even then he has a bit of the Haughey/ Aherne/Ray Burke smell off him IMO. The rest of them couldn't be trusted to pop down to Centra for a Kit Kat

So that leaves mad Eamonn O'Cuiv speaking Irish at the crossroads in the drizzle fantasising about a load of boll0cks no-one cares about.

I would be clinging on to Michael if I were them - and praying that another FF gouger is caught on the way into Dublin City Council with a brown envelope or with no bank account and a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

FG won't cause an election without something of substance. They need to be able to say, "This coalition is no longer tenable due to the behaviour of our coalition partner(s)". They can't pull the plug over a plan they negotiated and agreed with, and if they do it over something frivilous, they'll be accused of playing games in the middle of a pandemic.

I'd say Leo is waiting for the next big scandal now. Let this 5-level plan bed in a bit and get firmed up, then pounce on Martin's refusal to condemn the next disgraced FF member.

seamus wrote: »
    FG won't cause an election without something of substance. They need to be able to say, "This coalition is no longer tenable due to the behaviour of our coalition partner(s)". They can't pull the plug over a plan they negotiated and agreed with, and if they do it over something frivilous, they'll be accused of playing games in the middle of a pandemic.

I'd say Leo is waiting for the next big scandal now. Let this 5-level plan bed in a bit and get firmed up, then pounce on Martin's refusal to condemn the next disgraced FF member.

The problem then is will they get tarred with sending us to the polls during a pandemic and it being irresponsible?

awec wrote: »
    I think if FF suffer another collapse they are finished.

Here's hoping;)

Truthvader wrote: »

New Leader??? Like who??

Jim O'Callaghan fancies himself for the job, as does O'Cuiv. It'd be a contested race; with them convinced they'll get Taoiseach as the prize - even though they'll get an election as their 'reward' and could easily lose their seat if its O'Callaghan.

Party leader not being returned (when a party still returns any TDs at all) is not a normal occurence, but we may see it happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is there any indication that an actual leadership challenge will materialise outside of O'Cuiv running his mouth?

Jim O'Callaghan fancies himself for the job, as does O'Cuiv. It'd be a contested race; with them convinced they'll get Taoiseach as the prize - even though they'll get an election as their 'reward' and could easily lose their seat if its O'Callaghan.

Party leader not being returned (when a party still returns any TDs at all) is not a normal occurence, but we may see it happen.

Poor Jim who had a sulky little hissy fit when he didn't get the "big job" he wanted. Exposed immediately as old school "whats in it for me" Fianna Fail. No thanks

Poor Jim who had a sulky little hissy fit when he didn't get the "big job" he wanted. Exposed immediately as old school "whats in it for me" Fianna Fail. No thanks

Plenty of them around, as we saw with the strop-fests when the cabinet was announced.

O Cuiv isnt much better, entitled little snot nosed runt. Just cus hes Devs grandson he thinks he is owed no end of privileges. Look at the shenanigans he got up to 2 years ago in the north which started that whole SDLP agreement out on a really bad footing.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    O Cuiv isnt much better, entitled little snot nosed runt. Just cus hes Devs grandson he thinks he is owed no end of privileges. Look at the shenanigans he got up to 2 years ago in the north which started that whole SDLP agreement out on a really bad footing.

Agreed but O'Cuivs real problem is that he is stuck in a time warp. The people who would vote for him can't because they're dead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

They should all resign. This Mother and Child Bill is nothing short of a national disgrace.

You reap what you sow and this will come back to haunt them.

sky6 wrote: »
    They should all resign. This Mother and Child Bill is nothing short of a national disgrace.

You reap what you sow and this will come back to haunt them.

In what way is it a disgrace?

Reports from the FF Parliamentary Party meeting would suggest that Barry Cowen is particularly pissed at Varadkar not being made walk the plank and Ray McSharry is ready to leave the party.

Election in December anyone? :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Can't see it happening. Fianna Fail of all people aren't going to force an election since the polls have pointed to Fine Gael and Sinn Fein being the big winners. McSharry is a perennial dissident as long as Martin is boss and Cowen is just sore because he had to resign and Varadkar didn't.

The problem is who is left on Martin's side? McGrath aside.

The Country & Western set is against him for, well, everything; the Dublin Suburbia set are against him for not getting the jobs they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Reports from the FF Parliamentary Party meeting would suggest that Barry Cowen is particularly pissed at Varadkar not being made walk the plank and Ray McSharry is ready to leave the party.

Election in December anyone? :pac:

Ray? ;)

If his son had half the ability that Ray did then he’d actually be dangerous

blackwhite wrote: »
    Ray? ;)

If his son had half the ability that Ray did then he’d actually be dangerous

Oops.

Pat Rabbitte (I think) once rather pointedly discussed the idea of talent skipping a generation, ending the statement with "Senator McSharry" (as he was at the time)

Marc MacSharry is as thick as pig sh1t but he is spot on about Martin and how he is perceived he is seen as a lame duck and frankly as a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Marc MacSharry is as thick as pig sh1t but he is spot on about Martin and how he is perceived he is seen as a lame duck and frankly as a joke.

He will be in a tight spot on tuesday!
    Will he vote confidence in Varadkar?
    Be interesting to see after his outburst this week how he wriggles if he votes with Leo.

Advertisement