Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chest Waders

• 19-02-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Can any one recommend a decent pair of Chest Waders? I don't want to spend a fortune on them as I wouldn't get the use out of them. I would be willing to spend between €200-€300. Anything I should look out for or think about before buying.
    Sound.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

What type fishing do you do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

^ This

(though Grey's waders seem in your ball park)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

The angling expo is on this weekend, if you can make a trip to it im sure you'll be able to get exactly what your after. I got a pair of daiwa neoprene chest waders 2 years ago for about €100. Could be worth the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Bison breathable chest waders, and they come with free boots. They're around 99 sterling from what I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

patgonia outlet in dublin. bought decent pair of waders (rio galagos - pockets, knee pads etc) for 250 1 year ago (but still unused as my 6 or 7yrs old patagonias which looked like they bout to rip apart 2 yrs ago are still in 1 piece....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

Sorry I should have said the waders were for river fly fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Blackclaret

Check Diver daves website or facebook page, great value for money, put what you save towards a quality pair of boots..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onelastcast

farmer2018 wrote: »

if you are going to get a pair of pvc ones spend 20 quid more and get a pair of vass 600. You will get free shipping in southside over 50

https://southsideangling.ie/product/vass-600-pvc-chest-wader/

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Have a look at Fishingmad Newmill. They do a range of waders and boots. Good prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

flended12 wrote: »
    Have a look at Fishingmad Newmill. They do a range of waders and boots. Good prices.

Thanks, which are good ones to go for? For sea/river fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Thanks, which are good ones to go for? For sea/river fishing.

BISON BREATHABLE CHEST WADERS & DAIWA WADING BOOTS HALF PRICE SPECIAL!!!!!
    These are £99 but the website is a bit all over the place tonight.

These would be my choice.

I also got the 5mm neoprene ones years back for winter fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

flended12 wrote: »
    BISON BREATHABLE CHEST WADERS & DAIWA WADING BOOTS HALF PRICE SPECIAL!!!!!
    These are £99 but the website is a bit all over the place tonight.

These would be my choice.

I also got the 5mm neoprene ones years back for winter fishing.

Seems like all the good deals are not available?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

What's the difference in the budget waders and the more expensive ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

What's the difference in the budget waders and the more expensive ones?

budget = pvc or nylon one piece ie like a pair of wellies attached to the wader part. Generally hard on the feet if you are doing a lot of wading, not breathable (PVC) and prone to leaking

Expensive =usually breathable - sometimes neoprene (warm) or a combo of neoprene and waterproof breathable material. usually have neoprene 'feet' which allow you to wear wading boots, which are basically expensive hiking boots, with either soft rubber soles or felt soles (for grip on slippery rock)

In my experience it depends how much wading you do and in particular what the bottom is like. If it's sandy and not too rocky then the cheap options are fine (Shaespeare Sigma best of those in my view https://tinyurl.com/y6n844r8
    but if you are doing a lot of wading in rocky river beds then the wading boots are the job
    Also consider time of year - I'm mostly fishing April-September so don't need neoprene - too warm

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onelastcast

Also consider the terrain around where you will be fishing.
    If you have to get to the river/lake and it is overgrown be careful with breathables.

I have destroyed breathables i used for fly fishingh in the winter months when wearing them pike fishing and summer clearing swims. No longer buy expensive waders for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I bought a pair of Imax Neoprene waders last winter, and I'd avoid them like the plague. The first pair I got were faulty. There was a leak in the sole of one of the boots, returned it and got a second pair. The shoulder clips wouldn't close on one side, had to get a saw to cut off some plastic. Then after 6-7 uses, one of the boots started leaking, in a different spot. I'm on the lookout out for a good pair of Neoprene waders for around the €200 mark.

I use the neoprene waders mainly for bank fishing for pike in the winter. I picked up a pair if climb 8 breathable waders over the summer, and I must say, I was very impressed. Once April comes around, you sweat like you are in a sauna if you wear neoprene. I was out on a wet (but not cold) day on the boat in July with the climb 8 waders, and I didn't even know I was wearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Meirleach

Can you still get Climb 8 waders? Or did they go under, website seems to have disapeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

Meirleach wrote: »
    Can you still get Climb 8 waders? Or did they go under, website seems to have disapeared.

June, the owner retired. She sold off here remaining stock to a crowd from Derry - House of Value - They were selling some sizes of waders for £29.99!!
    You could call them and see:
    https://www.facebook.com/HOVOUTDOORS/photos/pcb.2946421358734037/2946419518734221/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

they were all up on ebay and flew out the door
    I know a load of lads who got them but most the sizes were gone
    by the time i heard about it, still a few jackets there

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/m.html?_ssn=bigdealoutdoors&LH_PrefLoc=&_from=R40&_trksid=p2499338.m570.l1313&_nkw=climb+8&_sacat=0

• Advertisement
Advertisement