Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England vs Ireland ODI Series 2020

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

It was close, was 44 needed off 5, the no ball that went for 6 was a great help. Chasing that many, there is always going to be difficulty, but luckily they kept their heads in a tight finish. Cool heads and a game plan was the major difference between today and the previous two games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

It was close, was 44 needed off 5, the no ball that went for 6 was a great help. Chasing that many, there is always going to be difficulty, but luckily they kept their heads in a tight finish. Cool heads and a game plan was the major difference between today and the previous two games
    Was also a batting wicket that doesn't break up like the other two wickets we played on. Ireland made the right decisions in both test 2 and 3. Bat first in 2 and bowl first in 3. We just actually executed this time. 44 off 5 on a good wicket is doable.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Was also a batting wicket that doesn't break up like the other two wickets we played on. Ireland made the right decisions in both test 2 and 3. Bat first in 2 and bowl first in 3. We just actually executed this time. 44 off 5 on a good wicket is doable.

Sure is, but the 2 big scorers were out just before and Tector and O'Brien were new to the crease. They paced it well, and played Rashid aggressively, rather than standing back and blocking, Stirling forced him to change his line and bowl quicker. But big Kevin was nearly lbw first ball against him, and Tector didn't pick him at all. Its over now luckily and in the bag. Campher really struggled with the bat, averaged 127 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,752 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I just looked up Paul Sterlings stats, he seems to have been around forever, in fact he has, but he’s only 29, 30 next month. Probably hitting peak now and all going well will be around and playing for years to come...

Strumms wrote: »
    I just looked up Paul Sterlings stats, he seems to have been around forever, in fact he has, but he’s only 29, 30 next month. Probably hitting peak now and all going well will be around and playing for years to come...

On the go since he was 17, so he has had a few years, destructive player, happy he got in last night, and showed his ability, played Rashid very well, didn't allow him to settle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana, vi har slått dem alle sammen, vi har slått dem alle sammen! (we have beaten them all, we have beaten them all!).

Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher ... your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

siblers wrote: »
    This is one thing I don't fully understand about cricket, winning by 7 wickets sounds mighty impressive but it was really by one run on the very last ball!

It's a strange notation of the official result alright, very much a carryover from test cricket where winning by 7 wickets would always mean it was a very comfortable win and defeat was never an option.

For 50 or 20 over games it probably needs to be changed to put the prime emphasis on the balls remaining element. 'Won by 1 ball with 7 wickets in hand' is clearly a different game to 'Won by 32 balls with 7 wickets in hand'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Their was something up with my account over the last while and couldn't post but after looking at the highlights on BBC last night it was throughly enjoyable,such a shame there was no crowd at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

From the English perspective, the three match series has probably ended Jimmy Vince's international career and has badly damaged both Moeen's and Roy's. It has also enhanced Willey's and Billings's.

(Personally speaking, I'd love to see Roy discarded, as he's such an ugly batsman to watch!)

From Ireland's, it may well mark the end of Porterfield's and Rankin's 50 over careers. Possibly Simmi Singh's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

A few months ago we were dreading the day when Ranking retired. "Who would replace him?", we asked. This series has shown there's many contenders.

Little is a future superstar, with the right coaching. Young was bowling balls over 85 mph, Campher is a very tidy little all rounder. We didn't even use McCarthy due to injury. Adair also came in and took a wicket.

Similarly Porterfield, we have Marc Ellison qualifying for Ireland now. A few years younger than William and does the same job a little bit better. But Balbirnie's Modus Operandi seems to be youth. Sticking with Delany, Tector, Little, Tucker etc during the series. There would have been calls to bring in Porterfield as an opener instead of Delany but Balbirnie stuck to his guns. Sky were hugely complimentary of his captaincy throughout the whole series. His fields were aggressive, his bowling changes were effective etc. Huge credit to him.

A shame we won't see any international cricket between now and the end of the year anyway, and maybe beyond, as we have wins away to Windies, Afghanistan and now England. It goes to show we belong at the top level of international cricket. We had fixtures against Bangladesh, New Zealand, Zimbabwe and Pakistan all cancelled, as well as the T20I WC, and it would have been an amazing summer of cricket for the lads and they would have learnt so much. Hopefully next year we can make up for lost time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Michael McNamee is the Alan Partridge of cricket. He sounds like he's at a disco. It's a quiet game, esp right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Did anyone see Little give Johnny bairstow a bit of stick on Saturday when he got him out 😂

I really like the way this side is shaping up, balbo is a great captain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

given the times we are in, that was a great much needed Ireland sporting moment of achievement.

What's the danger of some of these young lads following the likes of Morgan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Happy4all wrote: »
    given the times we are in, that was a great much needed Ireland sporting moment of achievement.

What's the danger of some of these young lads following the likes of Morgan?

In my opinion - very close to nil. Morgan's situation is slightly different to any of these lads. Morgan's mother is English, Ed Joyce (who left years before Morgan) left because Ireland hadn't a professional team, Rankin is from the UK and might feel more associated to them. That's potentially why he left. Stirling flirted with the idea but he's 29 now so it's unlikely he will give it a go.

There's a young guy called Jack Carson who is from Armagh. He has never played a game for Ireland. He's 19 and has got up and left quite early. He is making it his intention to play for England at the minute so he is focusing on his county career over the pond. Similarly there's a lad called Matthew Foster. Again, from the north and went over to the UK as a teenager and he's still there. Then there's a lad called Marcus O Riordain. I believe he was born in Kent to two Cork parents. He is carving his trade in the county championship. Now these lads are good, how good will they be? Time will only tell. But we may see them back in the irish setup at some stage.

So anyone who wants to play for England they really need to declare quite early these days due to the complex nature of Ireland now being a full member.

BOHtox wrote: »

Then there's a lad called Marcus O Riordain. I believe he was born in Kent to two Cork parents. He is carving his trade in the county championship.

He played with an Ulster club last season before being recalled by Kent.

Made his First Class debut last September and contributed with bat and ball in the recent Bob Willis Trophy game V Essex.

Card: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19880/scorecard/1227590/essex-vs-kent-south-group-bob-willis-trophy-2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

We interviewed Andy Balbirnie on Tackling Sport this week.

He spoke about the win over England, bringing young players through and how Ireland can kick on over the next few months.

Worth a listen: https://linktr.ee/tacklingsport

• Registered Users Posts: 10,893 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Stirling "rewarded" for his knock by signing for Northants for the entire Twenty Twenty competition. Sometimes we're quite good, sometimes we're shocking, hopefully more of the former this year.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Stirling "rewarded" for his knock by signing for Northants for the entire Twenty Twenty competition. Sometimes we're quite good, sometimes we're shocking, hopefully more of the former this year.

I wish you well. And thanks again for giving us Jack Brooks and David Willey! ;)

Great win today, congrats - well batted Stirlo! :)

Advertisement