Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Protection Courses

• 17-07-2017 9:11am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I couldn't see another. I was discussing Data Protection with a friend over the weekend and she was really interested in it and with GDPR coming up it could be a great opportunity for her, she's looking to get Certified in Data Protection "quickly" but wants it to be from a recgonised body. She had a look at https://www.dpo.ie/, in particular this course ICS Certified Data Protection Officer Certificate, does anyone have any experience of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

That seems very much like the Certified Data Protection Practitioner (CDDP) course (I don't know why it's called Certified Data Protection Officer certificate).

The CDDP is a good introductory course. Some knowledge of Data Protection and GDPR would be useful but the course covers the basics pretty well.

The course is a prerequisite for the next level - European Certified Data Protection Officer. This is a deeper dive into specific areas of GDPR and Data Protection. I'm doing this one at the moment. They are working on having the ECDPO certificate recognised Europe-wide which would be useful.

Your friend should possibly also consider the Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) qualification.

There is also the "Certificate in Data Protection Practice" from the Law Society. I'm only aware of its existence - I don't know anything about it. However, you would have to think that a certificate from the Law Society would carry some weight.

Any other Information Security certs on top of any of the above would be useful - CISSP, CISM, etc. And, of course, experience implementing GDPR or working in a Data Privacy role also counts for a lot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks for that Liamo, I think she's going to go for the ICS course as it ticks a lot of boxes for her, she is a bit worried about the exam though 70% is a very high pass mark, what kind of questions are asked do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I'm afraid there's nothing I can do to help other than say that it's simply a matter of knowing the material.

It's not rocket science but you would be expected to know the GDPR reasonably well and some of the case law that has been created (all of which will be covered in the course).

Reading the current Code of Practice at dataprotection.ie would be a good start as would reading the case studies on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I am looking at doing these course and just put up a post and didn't realize this post was here allready.I come from an IT degree would this suit someone like me.Im not employed and will have to do this on my own steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

where are you looking at doing them? came across this

https://www.reddit.com/r/gdpr/comments/7huinq/gdpr_certification_courses/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Shannon Doah

Hi,

I'm a student on the current Data Protection Certificate course in the Law Society in Blackhall Place.

There's a fairly wide range of student backgrounds on the course. About half have a legal or para legal background and the other half are a mixture of IT, Business, Public Service and other backgrounds. Nothing too difficult but there is a lot of material to get through.

Excellent learning support with online chat forums, lecture notes / presentations immediately available through an online learning hub as PDF, PowerPoint and even video and podcasts.

Lectures are every Thursday evening in Blackhall Place but most of us are doing it by distance learning.

Kings Inns are also running a similar course.

Nothing too scary and all very mature-student friendly.

Hope this helps and encourages!

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Hi,

I'm a student on the current Data Protection Certificate course in the Law Society in Blackhall Place.

There's a fairly wide range of student backgrounds on the course. About half have a legal or para legal background and the other half are a mixture of IT, Business, Public Service and other backgrounds. Nothing too difficult but there is a lot of material to get through.

Excellent learning support with online chat forums, lecture notes / presentations immediately available through an online learning hub as PDF, PowerPoint and even video and podcasts.

Lectures are every Thursday evening in Blackhall Place but most of us are doing it by distance learning.

Kings Inns are also running a similar course.

Nothing too scary and all very mature-student friendly.

Hope this helps and encourages!

SD

Can you post the link to the course your doing please,also is there many doing it on there own or is there mostly companies paying for them to do it?I appreciate you posting to what looks like a dead forum at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kakeykake

Hi there. Thanking Liamo and Shannon Doah for sharing your insights.
    I am looking at doing CIPP/E exam in September this year without having to take up any course. If anyone has cracked it yet, could you please share some insights, if possible, and may be some guidance would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks, in advance.

Advertisement