Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Securing a bench top

• 29-07-2020 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭

hi ,I want to secure a top to my work bench ,its an old bench made from 70x140 mm wood ,the bench top is 72mm MDF ,I dont want anything like L brackets unless they are pretty solid and I don't want to screw from the top ,I dismissed glue at first in case I wanted to change it at some point but I think 72mm MDF will out last me ,any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

is there an existing top on the bench?
    If so and it's flat with good bearing you could dowel it vertically, or of know someone with a domino , drive a bunch of domino tenons down through the mdf into the underneath.
    You could fill any imperfections underneath with silicone which would not really stick so would be removable.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Macker

is there an existing top on the bench?
    If so and it's flat with good bearing you could dowel it vertically, or of know someone with a domino , drive a bunch of domino tenons down through the mdf into the underneath.
    You could fill any imperfections underneath with silicone which would not really stick so would be removable.
    No I took off the old top which was just 3x2 well rotted so Im just working with the frame

well you could glue and screw 2 by two underneath and screw to side of frame

well you could glue and screw 2 by two underneath and screw to side of frame
    That sounds like the easiest method ,if I can find my pocket hole jig I might try that

pocket screws will be too fine a thread.
    I would be thinking 6m spax or even 8mm coach screws, with exact size pilot holes for a savage grip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Macker wrote: »
    That sounds like the easiest method ,if I can find my pocket hole jig I might try that
    I would be thinking 6m spax or even 8mm coach screws, with exact size pilot holes for a savage grip

You could easily combine those two ideas - pocket holes followed by pan head larger thread screws. That'd work grand.

Something I haven't picked up in the thread Macker, is why you're opposed to L brackets?

In my case, my bench is topped with a laminated 2 sheet layer of high density 18mm MDF and I attached it from underneath (to the 2x4 frame) with 6 L-brackets that are about 30mm length by about 12mm wide and I think about 3mm stainless steel. The frame supports the weight of the bench top, it doesn't budge and the top can be removed in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You don't have to use a pocket screw in a pocket hole :)

listermint wrote: »
    You don't have to use a pocket screw in a pocket hole :)

or even a screw:D

You could easily combine those two ideas - pocket holes followed by pan head larger thread screws. That'd work grand.

Something I haven't picked up in the thread Macker, is why you're opposed to L brackets?

In my case, my bench is topped with a laminated 2 sheet layer of high density 18mm MDF and I attached it from underneath (to the 2x4 frame) with 6 L-brackets that are about 30mm length by about 12mm wide and I think about 3mm stainless steel. The frame supports the weight of the bench top, it doesn't budge and the top can be removed in 5 minutes.

Thanks for the replies lads ,the reason I was worried about L brackets is that the bench is quite heavy and on casters so will get pulled around a bit ,have you a link to the brackets you used

Macker wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads ,the reason I was worried about L brackets is that the bench is quite heavy and on casters so will get pulled around a bit ,have you a link to the brackets you used

I'm afraid not - they were from my random bucket'o'bits but I'll whip one off this evening to take measurements and a photo for you. Mine's on castors too btw so they also take that lateral force when I'm moving it around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I'm afraid not - they were from my random bucket'o'bits but I'll whip one off this evening to take measurements and a photo for you. Mine's on castors too btw so they also take that lateral force when I'm moving it around the place.

If you want to use brackets but need heavire ones cut & drill angle iron to make your own, it is a lot of work but you will get heavier brackets - 50mm angle by 3mm thick would be a ver heavy section of steel

If you want to use brackets but need heavire ones cut & drill angle iron to make your own, it is a lot of work but you will get heavier brackets - 50mm angle by 3mm thick would be a ver heavy section of steel

There's a guy beside me who used to make gates ,might ask him to knock me up something

Ooops- sorry Macker, I completely forgot to post this!

They're 35mmx35mmx20mmx2.5mm

523805.jpg

Ooops- sorry Macker, I completely forgot to post this!

They're 35mmx35mmx20mmx2.5mm

523805.jpg
    Thanks for that I'll keep an eye out for them

Advertisement