Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Physics/optics experts - laser engraver lens with long focal length ?

• 30-06-2020 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a cheap 1000mw laser head here

https://www.dx.com/p/adjustable-focal-laser-wood-kits-for-neje-dk-8-kz-bronze-2074700.html

When a user review said you could just plug it into a usb power supply/battery and burn stuff. Cool, and a nice upgrade to boyhood burning stuff with a magnifying glass.

It works. I plugged it into a usb battery pack and can point it to scorch small pieces of wood etc.

Now I got laser safety goggles too after reading warnings.
    https://www.banggood.com/Laser-Protective-Goggles-Glasses-405nm-445nm-650nm-Red-Blue-Blue-violet-Laser-Eye-Protection-Safety-p-1396499.html?cur_warehouse=CN

The problem is that it will only focus and burn within a couple of inches of the lens, after precisely focusing the lens to the target length/focal length.

I've 200mw laser pointers that by design focus to infinity/long range.
    At 200mw you can practically see them in daytime, and this is 1000mw.

Any optics/physics heads here know if you can get replacement lens that would focus to infinity ?

I believe the lens size is M9 P0.5.

Ideally, I'd like to point it down the garden and burn things... maybe mount it to a pan and tilt camera etc... nerdy playstuff.

Any ideas?
    Or is a laser engraver lens inherently by design unable to focus to infinity/long range ? Or like a camera, would you have to auto-focus it precisely at different lengths ?

cheers,
    t

Advertisement