Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

80/90s NBA Vs modern day NBA

• 02-03-2020 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a debate that went from Jordan Vs LeBron to how good or bad the era each has played in.

Apparently the cases against both is that Jordan played against a bunch of plumbers(part timers) in the 90s while the NBA is too soft and no defence in the modern era.

What do you think?..is there a case for either argument...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Jordan would score even more in today's NBA, and be just as good defensively.

Rodman would be unplayable under the boards.

Bird would be ridiculous.

There are certainly lots of today's players who would also be great in that era, LeBron being one of them. The game is played how it is now because of rule changes.

It's like if Best or Maradona played today in football, they'd be unstoppable, but Ronaldo and Messi would also still have been great in their era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Jordan would score even more in today's NBA, and be just as good defensively.

Rodman would be unplayable under the boards.

Bird would be ridiculous.

There are certainly lots of today's players who would also be great in that era, LeBron being one of them. The game is played how it is now because of rule changes.

It's like if Best or Maradona played today in football, they'd be unstoppable, but Ronaldo and Messi would also still have been great in their era.

Exactly, I don't like when they say older players wouldn't have been great in this era because of the advancement in sports science.if they got the same benefits now they would be as good if not better

• Registered Users Posts: 36,014 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don’t think Jordan’s Bulls would have kept pace with the Warriors in 2017 tbh (and for clarity I *hated* that Warriors team*). Pace and efficiency are at all time highs and the styles are just a complete mismatch. The mid range two pointer is just a bad shot and that’s the end of it.

But the game completely shifted over 20 years. I don’t think we can compare eras or teams because the contexts are so different. I must say though, players who were dominant over long stretches on either side of the analytics driven changes are golden unicorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,264 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Don’t think Jordan’s Bulls would have kept pace with the Warriors in 2017 tbh (and for clarity I *hated* that Warriors team*). Pace and efficiency are at all time highs and the styles are just a complete mismatch. The mid range two pointer is just a bad shot and that’s the end of it.
    Jordan would be scoring fifty plus points a game versus that Warriors team and their coach Steve Kerr would be draining threes for fun. That Bulls team was unreal. Love to see Rodman up against the top players nowadays, think he'd own most of them.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Jordan would be scoring fifty plus points a game versus that Warriors team and their coach Steve Kerr would be draining threes for fun. That Bulls team was unreal. Love to see Rodman up against the top players nowadays, think he'd own most of them.

Nostalgia is a very powerful feeling, no doubt about that.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Nostalgia is a very powerful feeling, no doubt about that.
    This isn't nostalgia. There are more great players nowadays than there were back then.
    I don't normally compare players from different eras as it's not really a fair fight with the advances in sports and fitness science but it's different with Basketball.
    Jordan would still dominate in this era and that Bulls team was so well set up around him that they'd still dominate.
    I mentioned Kerr who is still the leader in 3 point % shooting. You had Jordan, Pippen and Rodman, three magnificent defenders.
    I'm not one for harping back and lauding those from yesteryear normally.
    I think that we finally have the man in the NBA who can take the GOAT mantle off Jordan, his name is Giannas Antetokounmpo.

Cool man. There’s so much there I disagree with I’m not sure it’s productive discussing further!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Apart from his thoughts on Giannas being the GOAT, there's not a whole lot to disagree with.

The Jordan, Pippen, Rodman Bulls team is possibly the greatest basketball team ever.

I didn't say he is the GOAT, I said he is the first player that I've seen who can take his mantle. That doesn't mean he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

eagle eye wrote: »
    I didn't say he is the GOAT, I said he is the first player that I've seen who can take his mantle. That doesn't mean he will.

Well he'll never be as good as Lebron, so there's that.

96 Bulls were excellent, but 2017 Warriors is for my money the most talented team ever. 2016 were superb too.

• Advertisement

Lebron maybe just shades second all time over Kareem Abdul Jabar.
    Giannis will pass both of them if he keeps up what he is doing for another ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,688 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

But the game completely shifted over 20 years. I don’t think we can compare eras or teams because the contexts are so different. I must say though, players who were dominant over long stretches on either side of the analytics driven changes are golden unicorns.

The midrange 2 pointer is a bad shot for anyone not named Michael Jordan.

MJ shot ~50% for his career.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The midrange 2 pointer is a bad shot for anyone not named Michael Jordan.

MJ shot ~50% for his career.

Which would be well below average in today’s NBA. 27 NBA rosters shooting the 2 pointer better than that this year.

Huge progression in shooting averages since LeBron’s first year in the league.

Advertisement